Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What to do with hedgehog

Out and about in nature
knownunknown

What to do with hedgehog

Post by knownunknown »

So I noticed we had hedgehogs in our back garden for the last few years, didn’t think they lived here but came in and out through the hole in the gate fence we have, either between the bars or underneath.

Recently I realised it must be the exact same hedgehog I’ve seen for years, always late at night. I leave leftover food out for local cats and sometimes in the mornings the patio would be full of slug slime, but not anymore with hedgey around!

I think he’s stuck here, the weird geography of my garden means it’s quite easy to fall into it from a neighbours garden but extremely difficult to get out of, he would need to climb about a ten foot wall to get out.

Should I be worried about hedgey if he is trapped? I got a good look at home last night and don’t think he could fit through the gate now. Does he need to be relocated or is he fine just possibly living here forever. I’d say there’s enough insects and scrap food around for him to survive fairly easily.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: What to do with hedgehog

Post by CelticRambler »

Any hedgehog in good health should be well able to climb a ten-foot wall (and do so at high speed). If he can't, then it's more likely that he's reached the end of his days and has decided your place is the best retirement home he's found on his travels.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Thanks, I never thought how old he is, maybe he is on his last legs as he doesn’t move very quickly at all. He moves very slowly and stops regularly every few seconds as if to listen for enemies.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

If it's the same fella you've seen for years he's obviously thriving.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I doubt a hedgehog could climb a 10 ft vertical wall, they can climb small walls and medium fences alright. They can squeeze through surprisingly tight spots though so he could still be getting in and out of the gate. I regularly feed hedgehogs in the garden, if you just leave out cat food it will be eaten by....cats. Needs some sort of feeding station with a restricted entrance that stops cats.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

BrianD3 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:37 pm I doubt a hedgehog could climb a 10 ft vertical wall...
They can. I've seen it with my own eyes. Not a sheer slab of smooth concrete, but anything with a bit of grip is easy enough for them - they have great claws and even greater arm/leg muscles.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Had a wee lad mooching about our back garden for a couple of years. The neighbours spotted him in their gaffs as well. Sad ending though - he was crushed by a car as he crossed the street a few months ago. Hope it was quick for him!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

All this talk of hedgehogs reminded me of this very non pc "Not the Nine O'Clock News" sketch - look away at the start and end of the video if you love hedgehogs. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'