Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Today in the garden I had.....

Out and about in nature
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Today in the garden I had.....

Post by Del.Monte »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 pm ^^ Done but the bastards will grow back.
This was the 'gardening' that I was doing on Friday - talk about growing back -there's a tarmac driveway under all that! :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

There are flocks of Linnets, Goldfinches and Sparrows all over my yard picking at something this morning.

Post by 765489 »

Must have been between 40 to 50 swifts flying high and low over head nd around the fields and house here this evening. I haven't the faintest idea where they are nesting locally. Great to watch them. Must have been around for about half an hour and went off somewhere else.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:31 pm Must have been between 40 to 50 swifts flying high and low over head nd around the fields and house here this evening. I haven't the faintest idea where they are nesting locally. Great to watch them. Must have been around for about half an hour and went off somewhere else.
They will heading off in the next few days and that's summer over until 2023 - if we get there.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:35 pm They will heading off in the next few days and that's summer over until 2023 - if we get there.
Good to know that Del, didn't know they left so early.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last to arrive and first to leave every year. The Swallows and Martins always get here well before them and hang around much later.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Large flocks of chaffinches and gold finches are now feeding on sunflower seeds. Must have been over a 100 finches flying off them when I was out walking about. I'm sure some of the neighbours are wondering where all the flocks of little birds are coming from as they fly over their gardens and land in the hedges. They've alot of sunflowers to get through so will be listening to Goldfinches 'till late November. :)
KHD

Post by KHD »

The sparrows are back after their holidays in the corn fields and stubble over the last few months. Gold finches still on the Sunflower heads but I've noticed a male Sparrow hawk has also noticed this and is flying in regularly to try and get an easy meal. Plenty of long tales tits and goldcrests causing a racket in the hedgerows.
KHD

Post by KHD »

I'm now feeding a large flock of yellowhammers outside the back if my kitchen. 17 I counted yesterday. The really do follow where cereals crops are planted. Keeping them going with pin head porridge.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PIc?
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:36 amPIc?
Will try and get one later.. may need to clean the kitchen window :mrgreen:

Post by 678904673 »

I've 2 Robins nesting in a Bush in the back garden. I'll try to get a picture and post it
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I've stopped feeding the birds as the inflation in bird food has been crazy. It's now 6 quid for a small bag of sunflower hearts in Tesco. Even with only two small seed feeders, the goldfinches etc. would scoff that in less than 2 days. And that's assuming that the crows don't manage to "pour" the seeds down their throats!
KHD

Post by KHD »

There a bit on the rough side but you get the idea.
Screenshot_20230205_110703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230205_110658_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230205_110653_Gallery.jpg
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

These days I can see (occasionally all together):
2 Robins
Anywhere between 6 and about 16 Goldfinches
About 6 to 10 Bluetits
What I think are about 4 linnets
3 or 4 sparrows
1 male blackbird
About 12 feral pigeons, which refuse to be scared off. I've seriously contemplated capturing them and driving at least 60 km in the hope of getting rid. Thinking of doing it at night so they won't follow me back 😂
Not in about a fortnight, but a grey squirrel was a daily visitor , raiding the bird house which I had fortified to keep the pigeons out. Someone is eating the peanuts, so I guess it's the squirrel. The Bluetits couldn't eat them all that quickly.
Cute little mouse, solitary visitor. He has a small mark on his fur which makes me think it's the same one all the time. I set up a feeder where the pigeons can't get on it, and he was visiting it a few times a day.

Edit to add: there are three other types of tit coming in. One is definitely a pair or more of Great tit, then there's what I believe are marsh tit and coal tit, but they're very fast, so can't be certain

Finally two foxes and a sparrowhawk. Hopefully this doesn't explain the sudden disappearance of little mouse.

Re the cost..
I stopped using nyger seed, it was way too expensive and most of it went on the ground.12.5kg sunflower hearts costs €51 fro Petstop.ie with free delivery. Although half of THAT ends up on the ground, hence the pigeons.

My garden is a tiny semi-d back garden, about 7 x 7 meters with a big 3 x3 brick shed in the bottom corner. But there's lots of overgrown greenery, which we don't tidy up , because the birds fly in and out of it all day.