Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Where have all the Buzzards gone?

Out and about in nature
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Where have all the Buzzards gone?

Post by Del.Monte »

Just anecdotally, from my own diaries over the last three years, and there's hardly a Buzzard to be seen, or heard, around Enniscorthy over the last couple of months. Anyone else notice their scarcity recently?

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Where have all the Buzzards gone?

Post by Del.Monte »

This next one is not pleasant viewing.

'no more blah blah blah'
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I have two regulars and a third occasional around my place. First noticed them maybe three years ago. A lot more regular in last 18 months or so. North Wicklow.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Anecdotal but I had this exact thought today when I saw some birds (not buzzards) very high up and was thinking about how it was many months since I had seen/heard a buzzard. We normally get lots of them in the Midlands.

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:02 pm This next one is not pleasant viewing.

I haven't time to watch all the video at the moment but I was speaking to a gun club member last year and he was moaning that buzzards were taking all the pheasants they released. I put it to him that all his stupid pheasants were all trapped in the crop protection netting a few fields away. Also released pheasants have a tendency to roost on the ground at night which make them an easy target for foxes. Most shooters I know are actually fond of buzzards and other birds of prey but it just takes one idiot, such as the clown I was talking to last year, to cause problems or spread bullshit misinformation.

I have noticed a drop in the sightings of buzzards in the last few months. I know where some are nesting must check and see are they still there.

One question, do kites take buzzards ?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Kites are almost exclusively carrion feeders and wouldn't go near a buzzard.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Starting to see a good few buzzards about the place now. They seem to disappear for a time every year, after the young have fledged. But there was a good few soaring high in the sky over the weekend. The buzzard that frequented my orchard seems to be back but not 100% but will know if I get a few photos and compare markings. This will be the third year if its him. There is good grass cover now in the orchard so its probably full of frogs for him.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Small farmers on their tractors should watch-out as they have been carried off before by these dangerous birds. Good to hear they are back I still haven't seen or heard any for months.
'no more blah blah blah'