Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Abundance of spiders webs!!

Out and about in nature
quodec

Abundance of spiders webs!!

Post by quodec »

Anyone notice it this summer, the amount of spiders webs around the place? They're on my exterior conservatory windows, loads of them in my garden shed, around the garden bench. many are these irregular, wispy type webs. Hope they're not that fake widow spider thing setting up around my gaffe!!!
marhay70

Re: Abundance of spiders webs!!

Post by marhay70 »

I was clearing out an old lean to a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in my life, got bitten by a spider. It was one of those with the small body, really colourful, and the really long legs. I had seen it and knew it had crawled on my hand and arm but I never felt a thing, it was only later on I noticed the bites and the inflammation. No Ill effects and the marks are nearly gone now, but there are some unpleasant little fcuckers knocking around these days, although I suppose I wouldn't be pleasant to somebody who was wrecking my house.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

A couple of weeks ago I did a mega house clean. Including painting several rooms. I'm talking washing everything. Last week the spider webs were back in full force as if I had never lifted a finger. 🕷️🕸️
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:15 pm A couple of weeks ago I did a mega house clean. Including painting several rooms. I'm talking washing everything. Last week the spider webs were back in full force as if I had never lifted a finger. 🕷️🕸️
I tried explaining that situation to my mother (who definitely _did_ notice the considerable number and thickness of webs in the house). I'm not sure she was convinced, but fortunately she let the subject drop in favour of haranguing me about the decrepit state of my front door. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:42 pm I tried explaining that situation to my mother (who definitely _did_ notice the considerable number and thickness of webs in the house). I'm not sure she was convinced, but fortunately she let the subject drop in favour of haranguing me about the decrepit state of my front door. :mrgreen:
I asked the family who are all gathered with a plus one at the moment if any of them has EVER, in all the time we have lived in this house, removed even one cobweb. None of them is the answer. It's all left to me. This is somehow my karma 😏. I like spiders, maybe even love them, but they do take the piss.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

I had to remove alot of little Spider egg nests along my wooden window frames as I was painting last weekend. I hated doing it but it would end up in the paint can. One thing I noticed is that a spider would be running around afterwards... I take it it's the mother or father protecting the eggs. I love spiders.. I get the odd bite every now and then, usually in bed but they don't bother me. I've an army of some sort of ground spiders out in the poly tunnel. I make a conscious decision when rotovating the beds to do one side and leave it for a while to give them enough time to travel onto the tilled soil and do the other half... Their job is to keep the aphids and white fly at bay. I never have to spray with these guys running about the tunnel.