Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Merlin App.

Out and about in nature
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Merlin App.

Post by Del.Monte »

I've been playing about with this the last couple of days and if used for fun rather than a serious birdwatching tool it's a bit of craic. In most cases I can spot the birds before the App picks them up and it's no substitute for field experience and years of sitting quietly, with or without binos, waiting for something to appear. The American names are slightly annoying but it's only a minor complaint and the "free" App sure beats carrying around a parabolic reflector and portable recorder. As you can see my walk this morning failed to produce any exciting rarity. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Merlin App.

Post by CelticRambler »

Ooooh, might give that a whirl one of these days. It's probably about time I figured out what varieties contribute to my local soundscape.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Merlin App.

Post by Del.Monte »

I had an early morning walk today and the limitations of the App versus my hearing and eyesight became apparent but it's still fun. It doesn't have the distance range of the human ear e.g. I could hear a pheasant calling far off but not picked up by the App. Then I came across a pair of goldfinches on the side of the road but the beggars were on silent mode (not obligingly singing) and I had to rely on my eyesight. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'