Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Saltee Islands and, some, of the wildlife fraternity..

Out and about in nature
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The Saltee Islands and, some, of the wildlife fraternity..

Post by Del.Monte »

Every year for as long as I can remember photographers have been asked to keep away from the seabird colonies on the Great Saltee and every year the same nonsense goes on. Wildlife lovers (?) go there to get that 10 millionth shot of a Gannet or a 'cute' Puffin for their social media pages with little or no thought for the damage they are causing.

I was there on an official ringing expedition in the late 1970s and even that I had my doubts about the merits of afterwards as there was a certain level of collateral damage caused by our work. The latest issue of 'Wings' the Birdwatch Ireland magazine contained this article (which is best downloaded as the images are distorted otherwise) https://birdwatchireland.ie/app/uploads ... r-2021.pdf

I wonder how many of the camera swingers that make their way to the Great Saltee every year are members of Birdwatch or other conservation bodies - I find it hard to believe that many of them are. :(
'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Re: The Saltee Islands and, some, of the wildlife fraternity..

Post by Uncle Frank »

Could they not make it a restricted area. There are small islands around the UK coast that are off limits to everyone except those counting the birds.
If any extra persuasion is required they could hide some snipers with air rifles nearby who will fire off a few rounds at a trespasser's backside ;)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Surely there is some law about the destruction of wildlife?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Who's going to enforce these laws on an uninhabited island? Must be a great place for egg collectors too.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:30 pm Who's going to enforce these laws on an uninhabited island? Must be a great place for egg collectors too.
Well considering the councils put up CCTV all over creation for fly tipping, I would have thought this would be more deserving.