Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Nature photos

Out and about in nature

Nature photos

Post by 765489 »

May as well start a photo thread.
20210709_222756.jpg
20210721_173050.jpg
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Nature photos

Post by CelticRambler »

From the archives: this is Lenny, the day I rescued him from one of my water-butts.

Himself and the missus live in and around my greenhouse. She's awfully skittish, so I don't have any pics of her, but he's a real poser and has a great sense of humour!

dawg

Post by dawg »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:41 am From the archives: this is Lenny, the day I rescued him from one of my water-butts.....
This is one of Gerald.
Gerald used to spend his summer holidays fooling around the water butt in the greenhouse here.
He hasnt been around the last two summers ( presume due to corona travel restrictions )
Frog on its holidays 1.jpg
Frog on its holidays 1.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 10419 times
Frog on its holidays 2.jpg
Frog on its holidays 2.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 10419 times
Frog on its holidays 3.jpg
Frog on its holidays 3.jpg (66.36 KiB) Viewed 10419 times
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

[attachment=0]spider.JPG[/attachment
A whopper.
Attachments
spider.JPG
spider.JPG (211.85 KiB) Viewed 10415 times
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

green dragonfly.jpg
green dragonfly.jpg (217.46 KiB) Viewed 10407 times
I took this I think 3 or 4 years ago. I haven't seen one since.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Anyone have any idea what this lad is / will become ?
What is the name of this lad please.jpg
What is the name of this lad please.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 10407 times
What is the name of this lad please 2.jpg
What is the name of this lad please 2.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 10407 times

Post by 765489 »

That is a Cinnabar moth dawg.

Post by 765489 »

White Plume Moth.
20210724_173342.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Cheeky new resident in my garden.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I remember one year we had 100's of hawks head moths on our poplar tree.
God they were a large moth, we thought we had been invaded.

Post by 765489 »

A young black rabbit has appeared out the back this morning. Is this a genetic thing that happens in the wild rabbit population or is it the offspring of a domestic rabbit that was released by someone ? I had a black rabbit a few years ago appear when I was over run with the feckers. Used to throw him a slice of bread. He'd wait outside the back window for it.
20210726_104432.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Maybe it has the same conotations as a white rhino
Whether the White Rhino appears in dreams, visions, waking life or synchronicities, it is a sign and message that you are in some way affecting those around you or those that come to you, some come with gratitude and there are some who feel threatened by you. You are a loving and caring being, and it is time to call in the courage of the Rhino to help you with any feedback you may be receiving at this time.

Namaste

Post by 765489 »

Well the last black rabbit that appeared on the scene, while cute, was the beginning of the great invasion into ncdjd's back field and ate me out of house and home. Even burrowed through the sides of the plastic in my polytunnel which I re-covered the previous year and spent 600 euros on. It was at a stage where some of them were getting tame and was like something out of father Ted.
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

bumblebee.JPG
bumblebee.JPG (218.87 KiB) Viewed 10330 times
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Mating red soldier beetles on wild carrot in a wildflower meadow in Co Cork this evening.
red soldier beetles.jpg
red soldier beetles.jpg (128.78 KiB) Viewed 10286 times
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Catching some rays at the end of the day:

I've been after a shot of a guy I call "leopard print lizard" for ages, but had to settle for this little fella instead.

Post by 765489 »

Where are you getting all these exotic creatures Celtic if ya don't mind me asking ? or do you keep these things yourself ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I don't mind at all: they're all out there in my garden!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here: have another one! This is Jacques (as in Natter-Jacques :mrgreen: ) who I haven't seen now for a couple of weeks, but I do occasionally hear him croaaaaaaaking in the grass beside this stretch of water (nothing more exotic than a trench I dug last year to see what'd happen when it rained ... )

Post by 765489 »

Ah ffs it's Central France just see your location on the screen there !! I've frogs in the polytunnel. They do be between the plastic and the soil inside it. Even with the high temperature in it during the day they are still there.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Got him! :)

This is the guy I call "leopard print lizard".

According to everything I've read, this is considered the same species as the one in post#16, but they definitely exist with two very different patterns of markings and I think they have a slightly different body shape too (could be an optical illusion caused by the markings, though). It's not so clear in post#16, but that lad has very distinct lines along his back, separating the pattern on his back from that on his flanks.
Last edited by CelticRambler on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

And for good measure:

This wan had a lucky escape, as she was sitting in the grass in front of the barn door, right where I was working with the strimmer, and I only barely caught sight of her as I shredded the grass over her head. These ones are desperately slow to move, no matter what disturbance is coming their way; but at least it gave me a chance to check her out. She had an injury to her right eye, which looked fresh ... but it's just possible she's the same one I accidentally rolled a tree trunk over a few months ago!

Was sorely tempted to give her a kiss and see if she turned into a princess, but can't be sure she's female and if I ended up with prince that could be very awkward! :lol:

Just read on Wikipedia that ye don't have common toads in Ireland. Probably don't have natterjacks, either?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:18 pm Just read on Wikipedia that ye don't have common toads in Ireland. Probably don't have natterjacks, either?
Actually, Natterjack's are the only type we have. I've never seen one though.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I used to collect tadpoles in the Dodder, back in the day, but never saw a frog or a toad in Ireland.

Mind you, I never saw a frog in France either* (almost the same length of time here now as I was in the Motherland) until last year - picked it out of the water butt - and have only seen one this year on a few isolated occasions (the same one - possibly responsible for the unmistakeable "plop" I just heard as I passed by the flooded trench).

* uncooked, obviously! :mrgreen:
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

the pond in my Father-in-Law's garden has a healthy population of Frogs every year
Hold The Door