Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Nature photos

Out and about in nature
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Nature photos

Post by CelticRambler »

Chickens? :shock: Chickens?? :shock:

And there you were, giving me a hard time for bringing metal into the woodwork forum. :mrgreen:
bullets
Verified Username

Post by bullets »

Nasty little disease spreading critters.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

What is it? It looks like something that I would terminate with extreme prejudice.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

'Tis the underside of a tick in need of a good feed! :geek:

Took me a while to figure out what it was attached to, as I'm not used to looking at those at such magnification! :D
bullets
Verified Username

Post by bullets »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:03 pm What is it? It looks like something that I would terminate with extreme prejudice.
This was a pic I took from a few years ago, My wife used to be a dog groomer and we also had several stray/pet cats so spotted this tick on the floor of the grooming room one day and decided to get a photo of it. Ticks can spread lyme disease to humans which is not a whole heap of fun! They will wait on tall wet grass for passers by be it animals or humans and latch onto legs etc (bare legs in short pants! nope for me! when walking through fields)
You need to remove them carefully if attached as if you pinch them they can spew shite inside you or the animal and cause infection.

Normally I'd never harm a living thing but this critter I got to confess I was a little evil I tried to drown it to make it stop moving so I could photograph it, I tried to freeze it in my freezer to kill it none of those things worked it kept moving as I was taking the shots........I might of dispatched the critter with blunt force trauma in the end so it could not make any of the animals I looked after sick.

~B
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I thought it was an evil looking critter alright. I was camping on Cape Clear in the 1970s and woke up to find three of them embedded in my belly. If I remember I think I used a cigarette to kill them but it was hard to remove their biting bits - no Lyme's disease thankfully!
'no more blah blah blah'
dawg

Post by dawg »

In my youth ticks abounded....
We dealt with them by making them drunk :)
A dab from the gin bottle and they gave up gripping in a minute or two, then pluck them away, legs and all

Post by 765489 »

dawg wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:55 pm In my youth ticks abounded....
We dealt with them by making them drunk :)
A dab from the gin bottle and they gave up gripping in a minute or two, then pluck them away, legs and all
Very good tip dawg. Would never thought of that.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

dawg wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:55 pmA dab from the gin bottle and they gave up gripping in a minute or two, then pluck them away, legs and all
Del.Monte wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:29 pmIf I remember I think I used a cigarette to kill them
Two well-established techniques for dealing with the critters ... and both equally dangerous for the reason referred to by bullets:
bullets wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:20 pm You need to remove them carefully if attached as if you pinch them they can spew shite inside you or the animal and cause infection.
After the tick has attached, the flow of juice is one-way - out of you, into it - which keeps the Lyme disease bugs inside the tick. However, if you do anything to threaten or annoy the tick - such as burning their back end, or dousing them with alcohol, or grabbing them with tweezers - that causes their blood-sac to stiffen up and contract, and re-inject some of your blood back into you, along with whatever else it's been mixed with since it was sucked out.

The right way to remove them is with a tick-remover, slid right underneath the head. Then rotate the whole beastie so the proboscis detaches automatically. Tick hooks are the easiest to use, dirt cheap, and ought to be available in supermarkets (but aren't, at least not that I've ever seen) so look for them in a vets, or online.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ah, it was back in the days when men were men and... plus there was no supermarket on Cape Clear. I manage okay and not that many people comment on the second head that I grew since... I'll take your advice for any future encounter.
'no more blah blah blah'
dawg

Post by dawg »

Never knew about that tool
Wonder what the chemist in 1950's Ballyjamesduff would have said if he was asked for it ? ( did I ever tell you about the reaction I got trying to buy double sided sellotape in Dublin in the '90's ? :lol: )
Of course I had to go to YT to see all about it

Was I sorry

:shock:

'comments are turned off'

:lol: :lol:

Post by 765489 »

That's going to give me feckin nightmares tonight :o
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Happy little chappy,
Attachments
DSCF4395r.jpg
DSCF4395r.jpg (73.13 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
DSCF4400.jpg
DSCF4400.jpg (69.85 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
DSCF4399r.jpg
DSCF4399r.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Very friendly today.
Attachments
DSCF4389r.jpg
DSCF4389r.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
DSCF4393r.jpg
DSCF4393r.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 4358 times

Post by 765489 »

Screenshot_20210821-143822_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210821-143723_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210821-144209_Gallery.jpg
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The flutterbyes love my new herbarium - between them and the bees, the lavender and oregano beds are in constant movement all day. Quite funny watching some of the critters (usually the bees) hovering in a queue, waiting for their place on the flower! :D

Anyway, the other day, I caught sight of this fella:

The zebra-stripes are impressive enough, but he's got a full monarch-style pattern hidden underneath! :o It's only displayed in all its glory when he's in flight - and I've failed so far to get a shot of that - but you can catch a glimpse of it here:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

This evening, I went out to take pictures of birds in the field opposite (there's a hawk-like thing that's delighted with the arrival of the bales: they're great for perching on ...) Mission not accomplished! So I ambushed some deer instead.

(Yer man is heading off to the sunflower field in a great hurry. Don't know what was going on in there, but he wasn't the only one ... )
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Lots of beautiful butterflies floating about.
2.jpg
2.jpg (272.21 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
butterfly.jpg
butterfly.jpg (219.71 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
butterfly.jpg
butterfly.jpg (219.71 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (237.4 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cheating a little bit here but it is a photo albeit of a painting! I bought this vintage watercolour recently - a boredom purchase - but I thought it had a certain charm. What it lacks in technical accuracy is made up for by the subject matter. The title is " Cheekie Chappie" which I presume refers to the Blue Tit commandeering the remaining food and holding his own against all the bigger birds.

'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Del they should have titled it 'any last words?' as that tit looks like he is in for an awful hiding from the angry mob :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Masses of butterflies around today, including one of Uncle Frank's (we seem to get very few of these here):

and someone taking a break from the cabbages:

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

And on the subject of flying creatures, these are the lads that absolutely love it when the baler's been through:

Post by 765489 »

Is that some sort of buzzard CR ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Some sort, yes. They're very, very common around here - especially so this year, by my own estimation - but I've never got around to finding out exactly what species they are, or what their name is! Had a trio circling overhead this afternoon when another tractor was mowing the other neighbour's field. Would have made a great shot ... but as usual, the camera was in the house. :roll:

'Twas a day for missed shots - caught sight of the last 20cm of an asp viper's tail as I was doing my own mowing this evening. Haven't seen one of those on the property for (maybe) fifteen years. In fact, it wasn't even me that saw it then - it was the children! This evening's one slithered into a thin strip of grass that I leave unmown, and I hopped off the mower to try to get a better look but couldn't find it again. :(
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Got this little chappie on my laptop this morning.
Apparently its the 14 spot Ladybird Beetle. I never knew there was such a thing.Very geometric patterning. :)
Attachments
DSCF4460r.jpg
DSCF4460r.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 4245 times