Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us. We're aware of an issue that our activation emails are not getting through to a handful of gmail users. If you registered but did not receive an activation email, let us know. If you're not so new here, you can dismiss this message.

RTE's Drivetime

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

RTE's Drivetime

Post by Del.Monte »

Can't believe I haven't started a thread on this show previously as Sarah McInerney is definitely one of my favourite presenters. That said, I really can't believe the way the show is following Newstalk down the tabloid route with one of today's prime topics - people getting upset by being asked "where are you from?"

I'm living in Ireland on and off for 56 years or so and I still get asked that question - anyone offended by the question should grow a thicker skin or fxxk off back to where they are from. Anyway, given the state that the country is in is this real newsworthy?
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Re: RTE's Drivetime

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh ya, that program is gone to the dogs. Before it was news, analysis and probing questions for politicians. Now it's "Mary from Ballina texted in to say". One thing I really notice is they allow politicians from certain parties to waffle on and never challenge them on some clearly outlandish statements.

A lot of the time now I just turn it off.
gugleguy

Post by gugleguy »

The "fluid" continuity music on Drivetime also does my head in.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Poor old Cormac Ó hEadhra's knowledge of the military/political situation in Eastern Europe badly exposed in this evening's interview with a former British Ambassador to the region. Like most Irish media commentators he seems completely clueless as to what the possible consequences of what is going on at the Belarus/Poland border. It's not about a few thousand hapless refugees trapped in the zone, it's about what could happen if Polish and Belarus forces come to blows...

Cormac suggested to the former ambassador that 'we' could get rid of the Belarus president. The ambassador asked Cormac did he want another European war and how many people did he wanted killed...no answer from our bold presenter.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cormac really going tabloid - two bloodies and "we're really screwed" in just one segment this evening.
'no more blah blah blah'
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Ah come on now, an RTE presenter can't possibly be expected to understand that the EU already bit off more than it could chew with Belarus. Surely the EU can just march with irs regiments of moral outrage troops and kick Lukashenko out.