Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Today FM

The wireless
Dec A Wash

Today FM

Post by Dec A Wash »

In the "other" forum, there is a lot of discussion about Today FM, whether it be presenters returning, presenters leaving, The Last Word, the musical content, or other matters that exercise people about the station.

I'm starting this thread to see will anyone here have anything to say about the station. I have not been a regular listener myself to Today FM in recent years, only dipping in and out on occasions, with the most likely program for me to listen to being The Last Word with Matt Cooper.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Today FM

Post by Del.Monte »

The Last Word is the only thing that I ever drop into and as I don't much care for Matt Cooper's style never stay long.
'no more blah blah blah'
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

It is a very different station from when it started life as Radio Ireland on March 17th 1997. It changed its name in January 1998. None of the original presenters are still there. The last to leave was Phil Cawley. The longest lasting presenter is Ian Dempsey who started presenting his breakfast show in late September 1998. Alison Curtis arrived around that time as a researcher for the breakfast show, but then left for the pirate Phantom FM for a few years. Alison returned in 2003 as a weekend presenter after Phantom ceased its illegal broadcasts. She left for the fully licensed Phantom FM in 2011, before returning less than two years later, and has been a weekend breakfast presenter ever since. Very recently, Ray Foley returned to Today FM after some years absence.

Here are some former Radio Ireland/Today FM presenters now with other Irish radio stations:
Ray Darcy and Philip Boucher Hayes - RTE Radio 1
Tom Dunne and Anton Savage - Newstalk
John Kelly - Lyric FM
Phil Cawley - South East Radio and filler presenter with Radio Nova
Declan Meehan, Jim O'Neill and Tommy Greene - East Coast FM
Jim O'Neill, Bob Conway and Robbie Irwin - More Music Ireland (online station)
Marty Miller and Jim McCabe (filler presenter) - Radio Nova
Eamon Dunphy - The Stand (podcast)
John Troy - CharityRadio.ie
KC - Cork's 96FM
Colm O'Sullivan - Red FM
Paul Power - KFM
Anne-Marie Kelly - Midlands Radio
Stephen Keogh - Tipp FM
Karl Tsignidos - Dublin City FM
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »