Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Your Favourite Irish Pirate Stations (past or present)

The wireless
Norman Breaks

Re: Your Favourite Irish Pirate Stations (past or present)

Post by Norman Breaks »

I had a show on Play FM for about a year. I started recording them and uploading to mixcloud.

Like this one for example:
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Apart from Energy Power AM, which I had on my list, a current favourite would be Retro FM, purely because it plays oldies and harks back to a style of programming and presentation more synonymous with the 1980s. That said, we are not exactly overwhelmed with pirates these days. A former recent pirate that I quite liked was Pirate FM - another oldies station - '80s I think. Real 80s was another interesting oldies station from the last decade.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

What about your favourite dance pirates? There's been a lot of those. One of them even managed to make it in to my all-time top 10 of general pirates - Sunset FM!

I would not have been a major fan of the dance scene, but I did take a passing interest wearing my anorak! For me, apart from Sunset, my favourites would have included Rhythm FM (Sunset's successor), Hot107, Club FM, Pulse FM (because of it's professional sounding deejays) and particularly Power FM (underground vibe) - all from the '90s. Some of the more interesting ones from this century were Pulse FM (different station), Play FM and Rince. All of the above were Dublin pirates, but there was an interesting dance pirate in the 1990s from Wicklow called Passion FM.