Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Newstalk - have your say!

The wireless
Dec A Wash

Re: Newstalk - have your say!

Post by Dec A Wash »

Dec A Wash wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:52 pm I happened to tune into Anton Savage's show briefly this morning. Like quite a few (I would imagine), he was marking the 80th birthday of Paul McCartney. My only quibble is the choice of song that was chosen to introduce the piece: Here Comes the Sun. That is a song that was written and performed by George Harrison for The Beatles. Surely they could have picked a Paul McCartney sung song. It's not like there is a shortage of examples over the decades!
Del.Monte wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:44 pm He was too busy slagging off the Brits for wanting to ship out asylum seekers to Rwanda. It is de rigueur for Newstalk presenters to continually ridicule the British, whether it's the Royal Family, Brexit or in this case the immigration problem on the channel. In the region of 1,000 people made the crossing last week - what does the fool expect the British government to do when the French stand idly by?
Re the bad choice of song to mark Paul McCartney's birthday, I would say that it was somebody behind the scenes that picked the song, and probably someone who does not know much about The Beatles and most likely Paul. I can't imagine Anton making that kind of slip-up when selecting a song. If someone was unsure about Beatles sings, all they had to do was select one of the many hit songs by WIngs or something from his solo career. Hardly rocket science!

Post by 95438756 »

Yesterday Thursday at lunchtime there was a rightful drubbing of Dublin city centre. Dirty bins not being collected.

Also some criticism about Cork from a corkonian. He also developed a litter mobile app.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Just listened to Minster for Finance interviewed by Ciara Kelly on Newstalk, and scratching my head.

The will we /won't we introduce a vacancy tax story has been an increasingly relevant news story over the last six months, as part of the discussion about the biggest problem the country is facing - housing shortage, particularly available rental supply.

The morning after the CSO publish their prelim findings that show there were 35,000 rental properties lying empty, Paschal Donohoe is interviewed on Newstalks touching on a number of subjects, and they don't even ask him about this?!?!

They did mention the CSO prelim report, but decided to ask him about the number of TDs relative to the population size, and did he think we needed more?

The day after daft.ie produced their Q1 2022 report showing only 851 properties available to rent nationwide the media were falling over themselves to fill airwaves and column inches with the story. Yet the day after the CSO say there are 35k rentals empty, it gets barely a mention. Bananas!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Kieran Cuddihy eyes being opened as he hears that Ukraine - even prior to the Russian invasion - was not some sort of liberal LGBQ paradise. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

schmittel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:35 am Just listened to Minster for Finance interviewed by Ciara Kelly on Newstalk, and scratching my head.

Interchangeable with the Minister for Health. Would'nt matter which did whose job. Muppets, and toeing the government line all the way
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Is there now a quota system for sexual preferences operating on Newstalk or why is it that almost every segment seems to have somebody plugging the LGBT agenda? Piece on now about why people have moved to Cork - one is female (possibly hetero) and the other is a Dub who founded some gay rugby club in Cork. It has reached the stage now when one of these segments come on that I find myself trying to guess which of the guests is gay/trans etc. It reminds me of a game that my granny used to play on the train trying to guess people's professions - back in the day when trains had compartments. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The sloppiness on many Irish radio stations, and Newstalk in particular, continues to amaze. One of the headlines this morning, repeated several times, ran something like "2,000 people drove under the influence of drugs last year" - NO !!! 2,000 people were CAUGHT driving under the influence of drugs - so you can probably add a couple of noughts to that figure.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

You've got to hand it to Newstalk when it comes to recycling and the 'Coleman & Kelly Laugh In' is one of the best - this morning the topic is "words that we mangle". Ciara (Noostalk) Kelly (wid) Shane Coleman. In fairness the pair are experts on the subject. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just making a quick toastie and flicked on the radio while I waited - Andrea Gilligan 'what's your favourite crisps' ....quality broadcasting...radio off.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

heard Andrea Would you like to try Spanish fried egg crisps? Or how about Chilean Crisps?

I've a take:

What about General Franco Flavour Crisps.. ... Or Augusto Pinochet Style Crisps ???
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Even Pat Kenny, one of a very few professionals holding the place together, is sounding a bit tired these days. I don't know who picks the topics and guests but they're really scraping the barrel. Had that horrible old bint, Edwina Currie, on this morning, after ten minutes of her even Liz Truss started to sound good.
I think the powers that be can't decide what format they want to follow, is it news, is it magazine, is it popular culture? Whatever it is, the current crop of presenters, saving maybe Kenny and Moncrieff, will have a hard job pulling it off. Andrea Gilligan is probably the worst example of a "professional" broadcaster it's ever been my misfortune to encounter.

Post by 95438756 »

Andrea reporting on lunchtime live about Mary Lou Macdonald in Australia asking the Irish Diaspora to come on home.
I've a first cousin out there. I switched off.
Might switch on again for Moncreiff in a bit.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 pm Andrea reporting on lunchtime live about Mary Lou Macdonald in Australia asking the Irish Diaspora to come on home.
Mary Lou's on the ball though as she's going to need to replace those of us who will leave if SF get into power.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 pm Andrea reporting on lunchtime live about Mary Lou Macdonald in Australia asking the Irish Diaspora to come on home.
My son is heading off to Australia in a few weeks, he's a doctor. My grandson is an electrician, guess who has the better pay and conditions in this country?
A Junior doctor has starting pay in the region of €35,000 before deductions, they work up to 80 hours a week and have to agitate to be paid for it. Supposed automatic pay increases can take months to process due to the incompetency of the HSE who work systems out of the Ark
The political parties in this country along with the monster they created, have royally fucked the Health Service but that's what you expect from Tories.
I have no love for SF and won't vote for them, but the question has to be asked, can they do any worse than the self serving, bottom feeders of FFG?
The job my son is going to will pay him more than double his current salary, with guaranteed hours, state-of-the-art equipment and conditions, meals, and guaranteed advancement. Why the fcuk would he stay here to be used as a drudge? Only a masochist would come back to the conditions in our Health Service so Mary Lou should save her breath until such time as she has something to offer to our diaspora. A good start would be somewher for them to live.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

As if on cue, Pat Kenny has a couple on this morning, bemoaning the death of a beloved pooch and advocating a "Compassion Day" from work to get
through their grief. Jesus wept. Is that enough do you think, is there a case for help with funeral arrangements? I know there's one little fcuker next door to me who has been barking non-stop since 6 o'clock. I would gladly contribute to his funeral costs, in fact I would undertake the whole thing at no cost, within the next hour.
Yes, we know you love your little pooches, we've seen them out in their little costumes, conveniently fitted with openings so they can still crap on our lawns and green spaces, but the day of reckoning is coming. Those people who are at the receiving end of all this mess and noise, are plotting their revenge. Watch your little darlings carefully.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

All this doggy talk put me in mind of this. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The gift that keeps on giving for Andrea - gulls in Balbriggan and, of course, the DART fiasco yesterday.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Maybe we should just go back to the days when we only had Radio Eireann, it spent such a short time on air every day that there was no room for shite.
We did, however, still manage to squeeze in "the Angelus" twice a day so the souls of the faithful would not be led astray by the worldly escapades of "The Kennedys of Castlerosse"
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Sinn Fein TD wants the gulls 'moved ' out to the islands and nextboxes provided......if brains were dynamite and her's exploded it wouldn't toss her hair.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This is awful stuff, Andrea is in a panic - send for the army rangers.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Expert on now spouting all sorts of utter bird shite - gull numbers doubling every year according to him.

Now a real expert on, Éanna Ní Lamhna, to try and put some sense on the debate.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:11 pm Sinn Fein TD wants the gulls 'moved ' out to the islands and nextboxes provided......if brains were dynamite and her's exploded it wouldn't toss her hair.
Is this like most of SF's other plans, great in theory but short on methods of implementation? Has anybody told her that seagulls fly?

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:11 pm Sinn Fein TD wants the gulls 'moved ' out to the islands and nextboxes provided......if brains were dynamite and her's exploded it wouldn't toss her hair.
Has to be the dumbest proposal I've read anywhere for a long time. Does she not realise that birds can fly? And that Balbriggan is a coastal town? Bit like the invasion of flying ants you hear about in the online news rags every year.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Adrian Kennedy trying to whip up hysteria over the singing of rebel songs (Sean South) at a Limerick GAA event - why is he surprised? The GAA is not known as the IRA at play for nothing and half their pitches are named after rebels/patriots. I met a man on the Rosslare train some years back who claimed to have been with Sean South at Brookeborough and I have no reason to disbelieve him - interesting man. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47199036

Despite my background I like some rebel songs such as "The Men behind the Wire" and "Come out you Black and Tans" - great tunes! The rebels had the songs and the Brits the uniforms and equipment.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Lunchtime Live - Adrian Kennedy in for Andrea and equally painful. As usual a rehash of Newstalk Breakfast and amongst the topics -"What is your favourite smell?".....laughable stuff.
'no more blah blah blah'