Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Newstalk - have your say!

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Newstalk - have your say!

Post by Del.Monte »

Ciara Kelly discussing correct grammar this morning is like me discussing the finer points of nuclear physics.
'no more blah blah blah'
Country Mac

Post by Country Mac »

Pat well impressed with this week's 25K giveaway question :P Bill Murray or Jedward?

Obviously there's enough dopes entering these competitions for Newstalk management to keep running them every week :x
dawg

Post by dawg »

Country Mac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:28 am Pat well impressed with this week's 25K giveaway question :P Bill Murray or Jedward?

Obviously there's enough dopes entering these competitions for Newstalk management to keep running them every week :x
Can any inference be drawn from this with regard to their target audience ?

:shock:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This afternoon Kieran Cuddihy was back on his hobby horse of ramming the Irish language down everybody's throat like it or not. Wants all primary school children taught through Irish. He's the worst kind of Gaeilgeoir especially as he admits to hardly having a word of Irish himself.

One of the few sane callers to get in touch suggested that schools would be teaching environmental studies rather than a dead language. Can't see that flying especially since the UN climate change report is last week's news. Much more important items occupy our media such as what make of phone does Simon Coveney use and what is his ringtone......
'no more blah blah blah'
Country Mac

Post by Country Mac »

Henry McKean gets on my nerves. That is all.
Country Mac

Post by Country Mac »

McKean again!! Does he ever go home? Maybe he lives at Newstalk.

Post by 95438756 »

Quite a productive interview between Andrea and Barry Kenny Irish Rail public relations
Some rail customers called in.
Interesting to hear about the people using first class, well, because there was no staff there to stop them, and eating tveir own food without a mask.
Better fare than what's on the other talk radio channel at the same time.

Post by 95438756 »

dawg wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:47 pm Can any inference be drawn from this with regard to their target audience ?

:shock:
Sure the target audience texts in the answer using mammy's or daddy's smartphone don't they?
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:35 pm One of the few sane callers to get in touch suggested that schools would be teaching environmental studies rather than a dead language. Can't see that flying especially since the UN climate change report is last week's news. Much more important items occupy our media such as what make of phone does Simon Coveney use and what is his ringtone......
Indeed political indoctrination is such a vital part of educating kids

The only way you'll get people to vote green is to ram it into their heads before they have an ounce of sense, the catholic church got good mileage out of that method :lol:
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Today's top story on Breakfast... some article in the Mail criticising the fashion choices of TDs (Ciara stressing that it was mainy female TDs that the female author was criticising)

Really? This was worth an ongoing narrative this morning?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Lunchtime Live with Andrea Gilligan had everything today - mad wans with Irish names that took offence at people who couldn't pronounce their names; a loony Green party senator advocating for a high speed rail line from Cape Clear to Tory Island; a clip of 'acknowledged' railway expert Shane Coleman trotting out the old shite that nobody is using the existing Western Rail Corridor; a few words against railways outside Dublin from sell-appointed Railusers Ireland spokesman Mark Gleeson and the killer punch from a caller who slagged the Greens off for turning the Midleton/Youghal rail route into a cycle track...only thing missing was a contribution from the Irish Rail spin-doctor - Barry Kenny.

Great stuff, Andrea! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
SeanCena

Post by SeanCena »

The thing that annoys me most about the breakfast show,apart from Ciara, is that any decent interview is like 4 mins long ... like you just can't delve into anything of substance at that length, it essentially becomes just "come on and read out what you want".

This was particularly egregious recently with Colm Brophy and his ridiculous tirade against Sf because of the Zappone thing. It was a farce, he came on, shouted some things, and then was gone
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

GARETH Brooks is coming back to Croke Park according to Andrea, I wonder will Garth Brooks be coming too? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Is it any wonder the country is such a shambles when the two greatest brains are wasted as presenters on Newstalk? I refer of course to Shane Coleman and Ciara Kelly - the former knows everything about running the finances of the country and the latter is unquestionably the most knowledgable medical expert on the planet. How did they get passed over and end up as a pair of vacuous radio presenters?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:28 am Is it any wonder the country is such a shambles when the two greatest brains are wasted as presenters on Newstalk? I refer of course to Shane Coleman and Ciara Kelly - the former knows everything about running the finances of the country and the latter is unquestionably the most knowledgable medical expert on the planet. How did they get passed over and end up as a pair of vacuous radio presenters?
Sure the Duo imagine themselves as the Opposition party in the Dáil to the present FF FG Green setup. Ciara and Shane are brilliant!!!! What would the country do without them.

;)
SeanCena

Post by SeanCena »

I guarantee you Coleman can't stand Kelly. There's defo an undertone to him when he speaks to her
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Brain of Britain/Ireland on Lunchtime Live regarding Michael D's decision to not attend NI 100 years ceremony reckons that 6 counties were annexed by England in 1921. Also said that your nationality depends on where you were born. Admittedly caller said that he had lived in England for many years - he must have been taught history in an English school.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ciara and Shane whipping up all men bad nonsense again. Nobody is safe on the streets after dark - plenty of law and no order
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Great mileage from this story which is guaranteed to gain listenership.

Also in their ongoing campaign to murder the English language all the staff reading out supposed comments about being harassed cannot pronounce the word correctly. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronun ... h/harassed

In sport Coleman repeatedly says trashed when he means thrashed.. Unbelievable that they are both college graduates.

And now we need a national conversation about sexual harassment - that will really change the sort of predatory scumbags that are on our streets.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ciara is like a dog with a bone on this subject and it's still all about me - CK that is - she just said "I was a former frontline worker" - I thought she was a GP?
'no more blah blah blah'
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:13 am Ciara and Shane whipping up all men bad nonsense again. Nobody is safe on the streets after dark - plenty of law and no order
Just been listening to that all morning.

I think any reasonable man knows that there are scum out there who harass, intimidate and assault women and I'd guarantee that the same majority of men are disgusted by this, but to listen to these two you'd think every man was a predator and rapist FFS!

Coleman even talking about how he'd cross the road at night so as to not to have some random woman ahead of him on the street feel afraid. That's it Shane... feed that fear and encourage this narrative. :roll:
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 am Ciara is like a dog with a bone on this subject and it's still all about me - CK that is - she just said "I was a former frontline worker" - I thought she was a GP?
Frontline worker is a phrase that is meaningless - theoretically a shop worker or anyone dealing directly with the public is a frontline worker.

Emergency services worker is a better term but probably not as catchy!
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

God I'm sick of this nonsense ... we should all live in dirty clothes because "de environment" - because what a population of 5 million people do REALLY makes up for places like China or India!

Shane doesn't get tumble dryers... that's grand Shane but not everyone has access to a secure back garden, and air dryers just add humidity to a room and take hours or more to dry anything.

Post by 95438756 »

Anyone listen to the cinema movie lineup "review" on Friday on the moncreif show: somebody who texted in about a different movie not being available in Ireland was dissed. (You should go see what was recommended by Sean & Co, so there)
More current movie release punditry than Impartial opinions, the panel knew that!
Lady Bug

Post by Lady Bug »

I caught a few podcasts of Anton Savage standing in for Pat recently. I think he’s the best sub I’ve heard so far filling in for Pat.