Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Newstalk - have your say!

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Newstalk - have your say!

Post by Del.Monte »

"Lunchtime Live" - Dogs in pubs and restaurants,,,Andrea has all the dog owning loons ringing in supporting the idea. They are as selfish as the fecking lycra brigade. What if I want to bring my pet lion to the pub with me?

As usual she keeps on saying such and such a topic is next - goes to an Ad break - and comes back with a different topic. Today's big debate - What do you do if somebody takes your pre-booked seat on the train? Jeez..............

Actually shaping up for Gold - non fare paying non-irish lady plays the racist card and gets away with free travel and calls other passengers whose seats she had taken "white trash". You won't hear the Irish Council for Civil Liberties ringing in. :mrgreen:

Segment ends with email from Irish Rail saying that they have "Rapid Response Hubs"..........Lol. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Pretentious fuckwit on "Lunchtime Live" boasting about his 10 day Stag in Vegas in 2017. He also made a point of saying he always visits Vegas at least once a year. I wonder is he still married? :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Now a nice one-sided phone-in painting all anti-immigration protesters as being far right racists. Imagine phoning in supporting the protests - you will be immediately branded a racist and all sorts of people (including the Gardai) may take an interest in you. Dangerous territory and I'm not going there.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And "The Hard Shoulder" continues where all other Newstalk shows have been today - the subject of words that people can't pronounce. The irony of their barely literate radio station discussing this for the umteenth time! While typing I was thinking of Andrea Gilligan and her clicks (cliques), Ciara Kelly and her "noos" and then Kieran drops "columists" columnists into the conversation without even realising it. Steam powered radio at its best. "Dis, dees, dat and dose that's the way the th goes". :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Newstalk Breakfast: More feeble attempts to whip up hysteria (drive idiots to text Newstalk Community Radio) - 2 in 5 people don't know our 'national' anthem - shock horror! Expect this topic to be on all Newstalk programmes today. Ciara Kelly doesn't know it....imagine something she doesn't know but of course Shane Coleman does.

Some idiot is behind a campaign to have the anthem taught in all schools and is shocked when she sees players at rugby internationals unable to sing the anthem. Hello! Half the team are not 'proper' Irish, so why would they? Between NI players who have other loyalties to foreigners now playing for Ireland what does she expect?

Some of the Irish 2023 Six Nations squad: Bundee Aki (New Zealand); Stuart McCloskey (NI); Jamison Gibson-Park (New Zealand); Mack Hansen (Australia); Jacob Stockale (NI); Finlay Bealham (Australia); Rob Herring (South Africa); Iain Henderson (NI); James Lowe (New Zealand). In NI sport is largely played on tribal lines, GAA for Nationalists and Rugby for Unionists so it's hardly surprising that many of them would not sing the Irish National Anthem.

As for me - I don't speak Irish and can't sing "Amhran and bhFiann" and have no wish to - it's not part of my identity. There are far more important issues facing the country other than this nonsense.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:34 pm And "The Hard Shoulder" continues where all other Newstalk shows have been today - the subject of words that people can't pronounce. The irony of their barely literate radio station discussing this for the umteenth time! While typing I was thinking of Andrea Gilligan and her clicks (cliques), Ciara Kelly and her "noos" and then Kieran drops "columists" columnists into the conversation without even realising it. Steam powered radio at its best. "Dis, dees, dat and dose that's the way the th goes". :mrgreen:
Let's face it Del, even among the population on the other island, the standard of English is in the toilet. I don't watch soaps or reality shows, which is just as well because the chances of me understanding what is going on are somewhere between nil and zero.
I hear strange words such as "snuck" "invite" (as a noun) and "burglarise" on the most highbrow of talk and panel shows on the Beeb. Absolute heresy, but no effort is made to correct them because English is a "living" language, which to me is just a way of saying "we can't be bothered to consult a dictionary or a thesaurus, so we'll write what we like and throw this excuse up if we're called out".
I weep when I think of all the hours I spent learning spelling, grammar, and syntax.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Newstalk in full cancel mode this morning. First it was idiotic proposals to rename city streets, from all the usual suspects - Greens, SF and various other loony lefties - and then onto misogynistic pop songs. Give me patience or a GUN!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Okay, so just when you thought that Newstalk couldn't be more shambolic - 11am News bulletin - leads with Charlie Weston talking about car insurance followed by the deaths of 1,300 people in the Turkish/Syrian earthquake....I suppose it's a bank holiday and the non-English speaking cleaner is standing in for the producer but even by the low bar of professionalism in Newstalk - this is rock bottom.

12 Noon bulletin the sequence was reversed and the cleaner has been given her P45. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Switched on Newstalk today just after midday. Andrea Gilligan proclaims she "had a GREAT Bank Holiday Weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it!!!"

..radio off.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:07 pm Switched on Newstalk today just after midday. Andrea Gilligan proclaims she "had a GREAT Bank Holiday Weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it!!!"

..radio off.
Just think what you may have missed! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Breaking news....Andrea Gilligan has discovered that Ireland has a 'recent' problem with vandalism, spray paint graffiti etc. What rock has she been living under?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Classic stuff today with all sorts of nonsensical speculation on what may be contained in the, as yet, unpublished Strategic Rail Review. That well known railway expert Shane Coleman contributed his worthless views about how it wouldn't be viable to reopen the Western Rail Corridor between Athenry and Claremorris because of the small population. How somebody who made a living writing about railways in the print media for years is still completely clueless is beyond me.

Pat Kenny returned to the subject on his show and, again, despite his engineering background was more interested in putting driverless cars on greenways than talking about railways :roll: ...I give up...but I'm sure Angela Gilligan and Ciaran Cuddihy will give us their tuppence worth later on. Newtalk aka The Muppet Show.

PS All this nonsense coverage was piggy backed on an unverified piece in The Journal.ie
https://www.thejournal.ie/rail-review-n ... 7-Feb2023/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Shane Coleman showing his inverted snobbery off again this morning in the topic that keeps on giving - private education. The principal of Alexandra College wheeled out yet again - the only phone number Newstalk seems to have on file - she should stop taking their calls. Shane operates on the principle that what was good enough for him is good enough for his children. It's an interesting topic but could do with some fresh input.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:07 am Shane Coleman showing his inverted snobbery off again this morning in the topic that keeps on giving - private education. The principal of Alexandra College wheeled out yet again - the only phone number Newstalk seems to have on file - she should stop taking their calls. Shane operates on the principle that what was good enough for him is good enough for his children. It's an interesting topic but could do with some fresh input.
Are you telling us that Shane Coleman went to Alexandra College? Has Alexandra become a co-ed or does this confirm the suspicions I've had for a while, about Coleman?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:09 am Are you telling us that Shane Coleman went to Alexandra College? Has Alexandra become a co-ed or does this confirm the suspicions I've had for a while, about Coleman?
What ever about being a girl he's certainly a big girl's blouse. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Andrea really making an ass of herself today with "Paddy's Day", "Patrick's Day" and a caller even rang in to say she's coming across like a drunkard in a pub. Also, a new angle - should Leo stay at home - who the xxx cares where he is for St.Patty's Day? What I want to know is who has the nuclear codes when he's out of the country?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And Kieran Cuddihy returns to the subject of fee paying schools but this time using Arthur Godsil the only male rep for fee paying schools in the Newstalk phonebook. Really the station is so limited - echo chambers and favoured panellists everywhere.
'no more blah blah blah'
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Last edited by jmayo on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:44 am Newstalk Breakfast: More feeble attempts to whip up hysteria (drive idiots to text Newstalk Community Radio) - 2 in 5 people don't know our 'national' anthem - shock horror! Expect this topic to be on all Newstalk programmes today. Ciara Kelly doesn't know it....imagine something she doesn't know but of course Shane Coleman does.

Some idiot is behind a campaign to have the anthem taught in all schools and is shocked when she sees players at rugby internationals unable to sing the anthem. Hello! Half the team are not 'proper' Irish, so why would they? Between NI players who have other loyalties to foreigners now playing for Ireland what does she expect?

Some of the Irish 2023 Six Nations squad: Bundee Aki (New Zealand); Stuart McCloskey (NI); Jamison Gibson-Park (New Zealand); Mack Hansen (Australia); Jacob Stockale (NI); Finlay Bealham (Australia); Rob Herring (South Africa); Iain Henderson (NI); James Lowe (New Zealand). In NI sport is largely played on tribal lines, GAA for Nationalists and Rugby for Unionists so it's hardly surprising that many of them would not sing the Irish National Anthem.

As for me - I don't speak Irish and can't sing "Amhran and bhFiann" and have no wish to - it's not part of my identity. There are far more important issues facing the country other than this nonsense.
I would bet the Connacht foreign contingent lads know how to sing it and a few more ahem songs.
Of course I couldn't speak for the Leinster ones as not sure if they have been taught God Save the Queen in order the fit in with their fans. ;)
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

jmayo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:02 pm I would bet the Connacht foreign contingent lads know how to sing it and a few more ahem songs.
Of course I couldn't speak for the Leinster ones as not sure if they have been taught God Save the Queen in order the fit in with their fans. ;)
Don't forget Munster if you're going down the West Brit Road.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

jmayo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:02 pm I would bet the Connacht foreign contingent lads know how to sing it and a few more ahem songs.
Its the king that needs saving now,, :mrgreen:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Listening to the news there and apparently the second of the three unfortunate victims of the Galway river tragedy will be interned tomorrow. Competent proof readers are obviously superfluous in Newstalk.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Anton Savage in for Ciaran Cuddihy this afternoon - a man in love with the sound of his own voice and off with the radio.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

On the Coleman & Kelly "laugh-in" this morning....item on sexually transmitted diseases had Ciara in a fit of giggles...and then the topic about how our graduates have become the new "working" class Lol!! To a snob like me the definition of working class - apart from wearing a cap, and keeping a ferret down one's pants is an obsession with English soccer and soccer in general. Shane Coleman and half the fecking staff at Newstalk fall into the "working" class category - their salaries have no bearing on the matter. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Newstalk in gibberish overdrive this morning starting off with a splurge of Irish language nonsense, a piece featuring Fergus Finlay who wants to reclaim the word 'woke'...he's on the right station for that; followed on by ridiculous bs about the "Golden Age" of TV drama....and a nothing report on the Greek rail crash. I was surprised that Shane Coleman - self acknowledged rail expert - didn't give us his tuppence worth. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'