Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Newstalk - have your say!

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Newstalk - have your say!

Post by Del.Monte »

Lunchtime Live. In amongst the unending stream of medical/insurance/funeral advertising one of today's topics is: Which is more popular rugby or soccer? Who comes up with these shite topics. Obviously the big girls game is more popular than rugby.

The other topic preoccupying Andrea is the possible shortage of wine over the Christmas period - yesterday she was anxious about the availability of fake tan.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
aidhor8319

Post by aidhor8319 »

Yah, its a pretty disappointing show, I dont think Andrea is even up to regional radio. To start off with someone as good as Pat Kenny in the morning to only then be followed by that. Id be even in favour of giving Adrian Kennedy a go for it over a a decent period but I'm sure all the feminists would be up in arms about that.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Breakfast show was a mess again this morning with tons of mind crushing sports reporting about the machinations at the top of European soccer clubs - really who cares; some GAA head has died of old age and Shane adds the obligatory and by now meaningless 'Ni bheidh a leithead aris ann'.

Some pencil pusher from the EPA says cleaning our chimneys will prevent deaths from air pollution and we learned that Ciara only lights her fire 20 times per year; followed by some report of a horrible bus fire in Bulgaria with the emphasis on the fact that most of the victims were children...ugh!

Professor Edgar Morgenroth from DCU appeared yet again and the piece was so boring that I can't even remember what he was on to talk about but he is a professor with a posh sounding name so adds a bit of gravitas to the train wreck..

I started to get annoyed until I remembered that I had mentally reclassified the show as Comedy Gold...then it was time to go to Dunnes before the super spreaders get there. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Yesterday on 'Lunchtime Live' we learnt that Andrea Gilligan has finally discovered that Black Friday is a an artificial construct by retailers and not a religious holiday. :D
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The ubiquitous Jonathan Healy in for PK again this week. Can't stand him and he just chalked up another black mark with me this morning when he referred to 'Patrick's Day' - what is this? Oh, I forgot, it's just typical Newstalk laziness/sloppiness. :roll:

And then he compounds it with 'Paddy's Day'.
'no more blah blah blah'
aidhor8319

Post by aidhor8319 »

Yah, dont have any time for Healy, he loves to pontificate & trys to come across as virtuous & whiter than white. Would be gas if they got some dirt on him. Wouldnt be so smug then. Thinks he's smarter too than he actually is.

But whats the story with Pat and holidays. Seems to be on holidays more than he is working. I know he is getting on a bit but still
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 am Yesterday on 'Lunchtime Live' we learnt that Andrea Gilligan has finally discovered that Black Friday is a an artificial construct by retailers and not a religious holiday. :D
I probably wouldn't ask what she thinks "cyber" Monday is about then! :shock: The show is before the watershed after all!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Today Andrea Gilligan is doing her uninformed best to whip up hysteria about gulls terrorising the population of Balbriggan....yawn.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And this evening smart ass Kieran Cuddihy whipping up hysteria about 'walk-in' vaccination centres. One caller said he was frightened when a 'police' car turned up at the centre - I would have been too - surely the Gardai haven't sub contracted their duties to the British? :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:27 pm And this evening smart ass Kieran Cuddihy whipping up hysteria about 'walk-in' vaccination centres. One caller said he was frightened when a 'police' car turned up at the centre - I would have been too - surely the Gardai haven't sub contracted their duties to the British? :roll:
Well, maybe because of the increasing types of GARDA car you see now.... estate car / SUV /....all those blue lights and dayglo yellow and blue
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The 'Coleman & Kelly's Laugh-In ' continues to entertain (?) and this morning, Ciara 'I'm still a doctor' Kelly and Shane Coleman have decided that we should dial back on the hype surrounding Covid-19. They've made a career of whooping up the situation for the last two years and now they want to calm things down - Lol. I expect CK will start broadcasting from her cupboard again soon as by her own admission she's been through the airport recently.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Monday 20th: 9.01 and the ubiquitous Jonathan Healy in for PK and 9.02 radio off.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Lunchtime Live really excelling in wokeness today with a big welcome for the Rose of Tralee now welcoming TSs and anybody that identifies as a woman to enter. Andrea's only concern seems to be that nobody over the age of 29 is eligible. All her guests welcomed the new changes and not even an email against - and you wonder why - not! Anybody with a different view about this sort of nonsense would be pilloried from all quarters, trolled, banned from forums etc. but the wheel will turn and the vociferous woke brigade will only have them selves to blame.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Made me think of - 52 minutes in

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cringeworthy shite on Newstalk Breakfast this morning finishing up with ridiculous segment on Santa and his reindeer - even managed to discuss the sex of the reindeer and whether some of them have had the snip. Great stuff if it's supposed to be aimed at kids. Dumb radio at its worst.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More sickening drivel from Ciara about Santa arriving and a conversation with air traffic control - just who do Newstalk think their listenership is? The broadcasters may be infantile a lot of the time but surely 99.9% of their listeners are adults - although the number of loons sending money to Newstalk's aptly named 'cash machine' would indicate otherwise.

Now more attempted humour with Dustin the turkey.....................thank god the shutters are still closed!

Ho, ho, ho and Merry Christmas to everybody. :D
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Adrian Kennedy in for the Bank Holiday 'Hard Shoulder' and nice lad and all as he may be how did he ever land a gig as a radio broadcaster? The voice is actually abrasive like sandpaper or is it just my ancient hearing. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And this evening Kieran Cuddihy returned to one of Newstalk's staple subjects - the murdering of the English language and the Aussie idea of banning of certain words and phrases. The irony of this subject being discussed by the barely literate presenters on Newstalk seems to be lost on him. Circling back; Touch base; All the ducks in a row ...and my own pet hate "Get Go"........excruciating stuff..........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -2022.html
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

To be fair to Newstalk, the Yanks had been murdering the English language for many years before the station was ever conceived.
"Going forward", "reverting back", "envisioning" are just a few examples of the bastardisations that make my ears bleed.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This morning's programme hit new lows with the terrible twosome of Jonathan Healy and Shane Coleman trading childish insults, discussing their adolescent haircuts and how they love 'stuffing' the Newstalk cash machine. Throw in their obsession with English soccer and you have an unlistenable to morass of nothingness ...I went out to Dunnes. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Andrea in full flow with the Tullamore murder and lots of nonsensical hysteria being whipped up. One female caller mentioned men laughing at a rape joke in a pub.....I'm drinking in pubs for the best part of 50 years and I can't recall ever hearing such a thing.

Other female callers giving out about taking precautions when out jogging/walking etc. - "hello!" I have news for you - anybody of either sex with half a brain cell takes such precautions. Societal change is not needed, just very serious police work and 'throw away the key' prison sentencing from our disfunctional justice system. In my own town two worthies convicted of the most serious type of rape imaginable are once again free having served their time - they should never have been released and when they re-offend there will be much hand wringing and idiots wondering how it could have happened.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More man bashing on "Lunchtime Live" after a male whack job exposes himself on a Zoom meeting for Ashling Murphy. So all men are flashers...
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And now Kieran Cuddihy has the solution to "all men are rapist/murderers" and that is to end single sex schools. This from the same daft twit who regularly advocates teaching all children through Irish. Where would this leave the LGBQT/Male/Female toilet situation - another old Newstalk favourite for rabble rousing? The whole radio station is only tolerable for its comedy value.

Why doesn't he stand for election instead of using Newstalk as his personal soapbox?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dreadful stuff on "Newstalk Breakfast/Coleman & Kelly Laugh-In" this morning with real milking of the Ashling Murphy tragedy (now being continued by PK). How they fill the massive void left by this story once the unfortunate girl is laid to rest is anyone's guess.

An unbalanced rant about deer culling was followed by a contribution from Shane and Ciara on the Strategic Rail Review - what this pair know about railways would fit on the back of a very small postage stamp.

The mawkish finale to the show was the late Ashling playing some traditional music and the by now totally overused 'Ni bheidh a leithead aris ann' or something similar mumbled by Shane.
'no more blah blah blah'