Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Ronan Collins leaving RTE radio 1

The wireless
KHD

Ronan Collins leaving RTE radio 1

Post by KHD »

After 43 years at the helm he is stepping down. Pleasant on the ear and came across as a real gentleman. It was a show I left running even though alot of the songs he played wouldn't be my scene, his show was easy on the ear compared to some of the programs that followed his show.

Wonder what the replacement show is going to be.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/ ... 07806.html
marhay70

Re: Ronan Collins leaving RTE radio 1

Post by marhay70 »

Yep, I usually try and catch Ronan when he's on and he mentioned it today. Encyclopaedic knowledge of the music scene and I did like his choices of music. I hope RTE keeps the same sort of format in the replacement, someone like John Creedon maybe, I'd even be prepared to accept it coming from Cork. As long as it's not one of these "trendy" bints who are only interested in listening to their own voices, like that wagon on Newstalk at the same time.

Post by 678904673 »

Cant say I was ever a fan. But my late Mother always loved the show and gave her great happiness in her final years when she was very unwell. So I'll always have have soft spot for Ronan for that
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, the show is lovely easy listening and it was a nice relaxing hour. When there's alternative presenters on, it doesn't have the same relaxing easy feeling.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Louise Duffy got the job. No idea what she is like. Never heard of her but we'll soon find out.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/nati ... -slot.html
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

KHD wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:20 am Louise Duffy got the job. No idea what she is like. Never heard of her but we'll soon find out.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/nati ... -slot.html
Don't know much about her myself except she was with Today FM, which, in itself, doesn't augur well. I had heard that RTE's own Lilian Smith was a candidate , who would have been preferable.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

KHD wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:53 pm After 43 years at the helm he is stepping down. Pleasant on the ear and came across as a real gentleman. It was a show I left running even though alot of the songs he played wouldn't be my scene, his show was easy on the ear compared to some of the programs that followed his show.

Wonder what the replacement show is going to be.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/ ... 07806.html
Ronan Collins is 43-and-a-half years with RTE, but not with his current programme or indeed Radio 1. Ronan started with 2FM (or RTE Radio 2 as it was then) back in 1979. It was some years later that he moved to Radio 1. Ronan, like many at the time, came to RTE's then new fledgling pop station from the pirates.
Comhrá
Verified Username

Post by Comhrá »

I always considered Ronan a thorough pro at the microphone. He always imparted a fantastic knowledge of music without ever coming across as preachy or having a big ego. Never went on waffling about himself either and just kept to the task in hand.

A very easy programme to listen to and he always seemed to be in good humour. Not many broadcasters of his stature left on Irish radio nowadays.

I'll miss him.
KHD

Post by KHD »

My father put me on to this one, Ronan played Fairy Tale of New York but thought he was playing the original version, he apologised to his listeners for playing the edited version as he always plays the original versions of songs.

From the Sunday World ->

After the track Collins told his audience: "I want to apologise for playing that version, that was the radio edit where it didn't have the original words in it, and I have never ever played that version before, and I should have listened in advance because I always play the original.”

"Out the door with that auld PC nonsense,” he added.

Fair fooks to him.