Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Am I the only one who prefers talk radio to music?

The wireless
mariannaspring

Am I the only one who prefers talk radio to music?

Post by mariannaspring »

I was sad to hear that Niall Boylan will no longer be on 4FM. I started listening to him as a teenager back in 2011 and cracked up at some of the people that would phone in.

Same thing with Adrian Kennedy and 98FM. Both have started their own podcasts.

Re: Am I the only one who prefers talk radio to music?

Post by 678904673 »

Largely depends on the radio station and what they're talking about
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yeah, very much depends on the talk and the music. There are times I'd choose to listen to one over the other, but to which one would be decided by the cirumstances of the moment and the choice available.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

My preferences for what radio stations I listen to have definitely mellowed as I've gotten older.
Years back, I'd rather have stuck knitting needles in my ears than listen to any kind of talk radio, especially RTE radio 1, which then I would've considered to be purely for old country folk, who'd listen to the Angelus, the news, the death notices, and Harbour Hotel.
All way to boring for me.
Sad wasn't it, that at the time, (though there was limited choice), I was more drawn to crap music stations, playing crap music, delivered by crap 'Smashie and Nicey' type DJ's.

"Poptastic!"

Nowadays it's nearly the opposite, I'm increasingly becoming one of old farts I used to give out about.
"Turn down that feckin noise!". "Shush, shush the news is on."

Post by 95438756 »

Yeah OP, Niall is a step above Adrian who can talk some shyte at times.
The radio audience tho is too small in Ireland and the quality of radio has suffered as a result of the pandemic.

Irish television is slightly less affected, although now I tend to watch Pick and BBC these days.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

It's usually music and podcasts for me.
Some of the podcasts are from special interest shows.

I tend to avoid the mainstream daytime radio.
I find it mildly nauseating.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

I can just about bear Ian Dempsey on the morning braindead drive to work. YouTube Music and Google podcast for me on the way home, can't stand mainstream music radio and biased news channels
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I was about 19/20 when RTE 2FM started and never listened to it as music on RTE had always been shite. Luxembourg, Caroline and BBC radio for pop/rock music...these days YouTube and increasingly CDs. Talk radio just sends my blood pressure up and I'm trying to give it up but it's a hard habit to kick..
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I prefer music.....though I listen to radio about 8 to 10 hours a day,....so anyone talking just grates on me very quickly,prefer it as just a noise in background
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein