Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel at the BBC

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Scraping the bottom of the barrel at the BBC

Post by Del.Monte »

Time was when the BBC was the gold standard in broadcasting and, while it remains head and shoulders above the others, it really has gone to the dogs recently. Some weeks ago I first had the misfortune to listen to a few minutes of "Call Jonathan Pie" which is described as comedy - as far as I could make out it is a platform for a foul mouthed fucker to use every piece of language that he has ever heard in the gutter. I can out-swear most people that I know but I don't tend to do so in public let alone on the national airwaves. It makes me really angry to hear tripe like this being broadcast as comedy by the BBC - the radio broadcaster that brought us Steptoe & Son, Hancock's Half Hour, Dad's Army, The Goon Show, The Clitheroe Kid.......etc.etc. :x :x :x

'no more blah blah blah'
Fugue

Re: Scraping the bottom of the barrel at the BBC

Post by Fugue »

I don't like the over-abundance of swearing but I like the character.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Nothing wrong with it tbh, it's funny, great skit
Last edited by PogMoThoin22 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:36 pm Time was when the BBC was the gold standard in broadcasting and, while it remains head and shoulders above the others, it really has gone to the dogs recently. Some weeks ago I first had the misfortune to listen to a few minutes of "Call Jonathan Pie" which is described as comedy - as far as I could make out it is a platform for a foul mouthed fucker to use every piece of language that he has ever heard in the gutter. I can out-swear most people that I know but I don't tend to do so in public let alone on the national airwaves. It makes me really angry to hear tripe like this being broadcast as comedy by the BBC - the radio broadcaster that brought us Steptoe & Son, Hancock's Half Hour, Dad's Army, The Goon Show, The Clitheroe Kid.......etc.etc. :x :x :x

I'm shocked our friend with the PC obsession hasn't been along - that IS genuine left wing PC bollocks!!

Utter tripe.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

He's definitely not PC. He leans left but also argues against silencing people like JK Rowling.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's the bad language and the fact that it's on mainstream radio that I object to, and promoted as comedy. Monty Python did political comedy but in a civilised, humorous way. The ITV 'Spitting Image' series did political satire too - but it was funny. The Jonathan Pie stuff must be aimed at the idiot podcast generation that get all their news/ideas from Joe Rogan and his ilk.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Personally I found it about as funny as finding a lump on your testicle
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Much of comedy is based on contradiction. The newsreader is acting in a way that is unexpected for BBC newsreader so it's funny.

Really good comedy goes well beyond contradiction.
But comedy is very subjective.
I've seen comments on youtube that disparage a piece that I thought was great. Each to their own.
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

I don't think of him as a comedian - more a commentator. And I think he's usually on the money. Balanced and honest. Has no problem having a go at the left, and champions open debate/difference of opinion.

This is one clip - I've seen loads though.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Fugue wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:30 pm I don't think of him as a comedian - more a commentator. And I think he's usually on the money. Balanced and honest. Has no problem having a go at the left, and champions open debate/difference of opinion.

This is one clip - I've seen loads though.
Whether you think of it as comedy is irrelevant as that is how the BBC are marketing it. The radio programme is quite appalling and I'm not remotely prudish but think that the BBC/RTE etc. have an obligation to maintain just a smidgen of decorum about what they put out on the airwaves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fsz1pc
'no more blah blah blah'