Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

60th Anniversary of Radio Caroline

The wireless
Dec A Wash

60th Anniversary of Radio Caroline

Post by Dec A Wash »

Yesterday marked the 60th anniversary of the launch of the seminal offshore UK pirate Radio Caroline. I believe there were various features on UK radio about it, including BBC Radio 2. Radio Caroline has a long history with various phases and stops and starts. In more recent years, it secured a permanent community radio license on medium wave in the UK. Of course, these days it can be listened to online, and it has a few different connected stations online.

Once a month, Radio Caroline North links up with Manx Radio AM for a weekend with special programming from the former "pirate" shop The Ross Revenge. Sometimes, such as this weekend, Friday is covered in the schedule. Given the 60th anniversary, there will be a few extra features. It can be picked up on Radio Caroline's website - choose the Radio Caroline North option: https://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html
It can also be heard on car radios on 1368kh am (Manx Radio AM). You can also hear it online via Radio Garden, using the option for Manx Radio AM. Note that if you choose Radio Caroline 648am during the joint broadcast you actually get its online album station! Incidentally, I picked up Radio Caroline North on 105.2 FM in south Dublin - presumably an Irish pirate relay.
Dec A Wash

Re: 60th Anniversary of Radio Caroline

Post by Dec A Wash »

Later this afternoon, it was also being relayed on 1206 kh AM. A much better signal than 105.2 FM.
John

Re: 60th Anniversary of Radio Caroline

Post by John »

I remember John Clarke on 2fm celebrated it's 40th birthday on his jukebox show Easter Sunday 2004, didn't that 20 years fly 😲.