Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Why can't RTE produce to the same standard as Radio 4?

The wireless
esdras

Why can't RTE produce to the same standard as Radio 4?

Post by esdras »

I enjoy most programs that I listen to on BBC Radio 4. Even the ones I don't find as interesting or appealing, they are usually over in 30 minutes or so, so you can put up with them.

When they have a panel (apart from political discussions), there is good humour and a calm and rational debate. The hosts don't make the shows all about them.

Then we have RTE Radio 1...

Why do all Irish radio stations (private as well as state) go for the two-three hour long slots, have hosts interjecting themselves into the topic and generally make a pigs ear of whatever it is they are talking about?

With the exception of Lyric, I can't think of much that I have learned from listening to RTE Radio (with the exception of current affairs / politics) yet when I think to Radio 4, I can't think of many shows where I didn't find something new and interesting.

Are the Irish just not interested in learning?
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Re: Why can't RTE produce to the same standard as Radio 4?

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Doc on One has thrown up some gems, but I get your point

the thing is, Radio 1 is trying to be a kind of amalgam of BBCR2/4 and even bits of 5 when you consider their weekend sports output

Also, RTE has nowhere near the funding the BBC has, by dint of the huge population disparity between the two countries served. Which probably explains the slot lengths, cheaper to pay one person for 3 hours, than 6 people for 6 half hours I'd imagine.

You never don't hear Irish voices on the BBC either, so one could possibly argue that there is some "drain" to them, and if there are Irish voices then you can be sure there will be Irish engineers and other techie sorts working for BBC, probably having learned the trade in RTE at some point.
Hold The Door
esdras

Post by esdras »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:46 am
You never don't hear Irish voices on the BBC either, so one could possibly argue that there is some "drain" to them, and if there are Irish voices then you can be sure there will be Irish engineers and other techie sorts working for BBC, probably having learned the trade in RTE at some point.
This is something that annoys me - you can hear the same person on Radio 4 and on RTE Radio 1 and its like they have a split personality. On R4 they come across as witty, intelligent and calm, whereas on RTE they are almost hyper.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

esdras wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:42 amWhy do all Irish radio stations (private as well as state) go for the two-three hour long slots, have hosts interjecting themselves into the topic and generally make a pigs ear of whatever it is they are talking about?

With the exception of Lyric, I can't think of much that I have learned from listening to RTE Radio (with the exception of current affairs / politics) yet when I think to Radio 4, I can't think of many shows where I didn't find something new and interesting.
Could be the continental influence! That's a typical length for most French radio "live" broadcasts, and - depending on the host - some presenters will engage very actively with their guest. After many years listening to R4 (while in England) and having been desensitised to the "we're out of time, I'll have to cut you off there; now the weather ..." practice I found - and continue to find - it very refreshing to leave the rigid time-constrained English formula behind. I've listened to many French programmes where they'll run 2, 5, even 10 or 15 minutes over, bulldozing the weather, the (not)news headlines and ads out of the way rather than cut short the final round of a fierce debate. I used to enjoy Marion Finnucane's similar approach on Saturday/Sunday mornings.

Post by 95438756 »

Office Politics and the ingrained Virtue Signaling regime.

Sport is the new Christian religion replacement supplanting Catholic and Protestant services. Athletes are the new Saints.

Then, the Emotional factor. "Let it hang out"

This setting is the same attitude in which a "Teenage disco" is set up: it will be exciting. Professional DJ.

Positive events are great craic. And then forgotten.
Don't forget SKY and Eir broadband ads! Great!!!!

EDIT: RTE Radio 1 tends to frame contentious issues in a very BLACK and WHITE / GOOD or BAD LIGHT Some talk show presenters both weekday and weekends embrace this doctrine
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

RTE 2/ 2FM or whatever it's called these days needs to flogged off and, if a buyer can be found, the proceeds invested in making RTE 1 a proper, commercial free station like the BBC. As it is RTE seem to have lost the advertising business to the pirate/private stations. It needs to clear-out the vastly overpaid 'stars' like Duffy, Tubridy and Darcy and get in some fresh, professional talent who would gladly do the jobs for a lot less. It won't ever happen though.
'no more blah blah blah'
Persona Non Grata

Post by Persona Non Grata »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:46 amthe thing is, Radio 1 is trying to be a kind of amalgam of BBCR2/4 and even bits of 5 when you consider their weekend sports output
Format wise I think of RTE Radio 1 as being akin to a BBC local station but for a National audience.

Their best programming tends to be outside of peak (i.e. daytime hours)

Daytime it suffers from the RTE obsession with personalities and the chatshow format.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Persona Non Grata wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:25 pm Format wise I think of RTE Radio 1 as being akin to a BBC local station but for a National audience...
Yup, National local radio

Close to 'Radio Active' that used to be on the Beeb ?

Well done D4bess & team

Post by 95438756 »

Listening to 10 minutes of a talk show on radio 1 will make any listener with a shred of cop-on that an specific Agenda is being conveyed in the line of questioning being asked by the presenter of the programme.

This ultimately results in a sizeable diminution of quality in all such radio show.

Post by 490808 »

One program we listen to that RTE get right and I consider to be radio 4 standard is Sunday Miscellany.
esdras

Post by esdras »

Yes, it is good.

Post by 490808 »

If you look at a very small proportion of what Radio 4 turns out (or is created for Radio4) then there is plenty for RTE to copy.

Take the classic Radio Series that Radio 4 produce. Two I have Tapes/CD's of Lords of the Rings and This Sceptred Isle. Your not telling me there aren't some Irish classics that could be dramatised or that Ireland doesn't have an interesting history.

Comedy? Radio 4 has some of the longest running comedy programs but what has RTE got? Radio 4 has some crap modern comedy but hey they are trying everso too hard to attract a younger audience.

The BBC has You and Yours and what do we get "Joe".

I think its down to RTE playing to the lowest common denominator that gets listeners and Radio 4 has a remit that it considers before dumbing it down (not that they haven't dumbed down).

RTE could get away with some of its talk show shite if it had some well scheduled programs that conformed to Radio 4's remit - The station should appeal to listeners seeking intelligent programmes in many genres which inform, educate and entertain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... bc-radio-4

Post by 95438756 »

The "best content" that Radio 1 aims to produce can be considered a chat show where the presenter reads out texts and emails from listeners exhorting the HSE and minister for health to allow for the running, now, of that local cool sport / music event.

In other words make the sender feel like they get their 15 minutes of Fame as their spiel is read out on air.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:32 am RTE could get away with some of its talk show shite if it had some well scheduled programs that conformed to Radio 4's remit - The station should appeal to listeners seeking intelligent programmes in many genres which inform, educate and entertain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... bc-radio-4
There’s a lot of very good shows on RTE Radio 1 but they don’t tend to be at peak listening times. I’m thinking of the History Show, World Report, Mooney goes Wild, Seascapes, Doc on One, Sunday Miscellany, CountryWide, etc. RTE’s public service remit requires it to maximise its reach to the public, so it focuses on news/current affairs and ‘Liveline’ type shows at peak times, and special interest shows get pushed to the margins. That’s how RTE radio 1 reaches over 50% of adults. By contrast BBC Radio 4 figure is about 20%.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

esdras wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:42 am With the exception of Lyric, I can't think of much that I have learned from listening to RTE Radio (with the exception of current affairs / politics) yet when I think to Radio 4, I can't think of many shows where I didn't find something new and interesting.
I think it’s news and current affairs/politics that RTE is particularly poor at. The public service remit impacts the quality and impartiality of its offering. Public service announcements from government departments, HSE, Garda, etc are often dished up as news and then discussed ad nauseum on talk shows. International news is only reported if the story is ‘big’ and then usually only in terms of how the story impacts Ireland.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:32 am Comedy? Radio 4 has some of the longest running comedy programs but what has RTE got? Radio 4 has some crap modern comedy but hey they are trying everso too hard to attract a younger audience.
I think it’s good that RTE generally steers clear of comedy. It’s not something we do well imo.
Radio 4 comedy is just too plummy for me. Stewart Lee did a good sketch on it a while back. Radio 4- ‘where pitch and rhythm are considered acceptable substitutes for content and wit’ .
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Jaysis, I love ISIHAC and Just a Minute

Mitchell's Unbelievable Truth is also pretty good
Hold The Door

Post by 490808 »

Radio 4 comedy is one of two things either totally expected and formulaic full of old jokes and puns or new and off the wall.

I think I lot of people like the old style Radio 4 comedy when you know the joke even before its been fully read out.

............. "We have a letter from a Mrs Trellis"

How many people remember "I came all the way from Great Portland Street".
dawg

Post by dawg »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:20 am............. "We have a letter from a Mrs Trellis"....
You leave Mrs Trellis alone. She scores every time when it come to getting a snigger out of me

( I'm a simple Dawg )

Post by 490808 »

"You'll have had your tea"

Post by 95438756 »

Persona Non Grata wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:25 pm Daytime it suffers from the RTE obsession with personalities and the chatshow format.
The presenters deal with a good portion of their adult subjects like children, just as they do on RTE television.

The Arts show at 7pm weekdays is an exception, an oasis in this Philistine wasteland.
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

They spend all their money on their overpaid talent so don’t have enough left over to pay for quality programming. The talent don’t seem to care a jot about teh standard just as long as they draw their fat pay check.

Post by 95438756 »

On the other site, 'a poster' posted that a Rugby star interviewed by Brendan O'Connor on Saturday 4th September was simply great to listen to, even for those of us like myself who have no interest in Rugby.
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

Don’t think I could stomach listening to that gobshite Brian O’Driscoll. Like nails on a chalk board. Last thing we need is more rugby talk on the radio.

Post by 95438756 »

Rte's blanket doctrine for whichever recycled 'guest' again and again on the show is to bleed them dry.
The guests know the boring jaded format too: "Babble like the numbers (paint like the numbers) "