Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sunday Miscellany - RTE

The wireless

Re: Sunday Miscellany - RTE

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:32 am Gave it a miss today - shopping and a good walk before it got too hot.
Del, you are on the right track there.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

GAA overkill and radio off.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

I turned on the program and got a long ad: Guess what Ad: TEE VEEEE Luicenssss it's the laww...... long radio ad. Followed by some equally long ad for a gig.
radio off.

Post by 95438756 »

Different. A poet who converted Irish poetry to English - I guess Yeats? And a free Protestant School - New Park, Blackrock. I smell a very bias from the reader though. Something is rotten in the state of BLackrock
EDIT Just when I thought there might be a chink of light in the program, the dirge lyric "We're going the road to nowhere..." is cranked off. :? radio off straight away.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cringe making live recording today with embarrassed, tittering laughter......eugh.

Ridiculous made-up story about flies in the attic on Christmas Eve - so over the top I was embarrassed for the story teller. How hard up must people be to get themselves on national radio.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Truly woeful, self indulgent old shite this morning - can't remember having heard worse.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Awful nonsense this morning which started off with a fantasy, or story made-up for a child, about how an Irish man in the British army faced down a German Tiger tank - single handed.....followed, appropriately, by the theme music from a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Next up some absolute waffle that involved watching An Cailín Ciúin in a London cinema......and it continued with people trying to outdo each other with tales that involved how well travelled they were. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:28 am Awful nonsense this morning which started off with a fantasy, or story made-up for a child, about how an Irish man in the British army faced down a German Tiger tank - single handed.....followed, appropriately, by the theme music from a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Next up some absolute waffle that involved watching An Cailín Ciúin in a London cinema......and it continued with people trying to outdo each other with tales that involved how well travelled they were. :roll:
But HE was THERE. It's the PERSON that's the principle.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Allah be praised! Three amusing items in a row this morning - Birdwatching in Booterstown Marsh; Babycham; and Pele at Dalymount Park. I missed the rest of the show as I had to go for my Sunday walk to check-up on my own local Little Egrets. Amazing how good the programme can be once the self indulgent crap and holiday one-upmanship is left out. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:02 am Allah be praised! Three amusing items in a row this morning - Birdwatching in Booterstown Marsh; Babycham; and Pele at Dalymount Park. I missed the rest of the show as I had to go for my Sunday walk to check-up on my own local Little Egrets. Amazing how good the programme can be once the self indulgent crap and holiday one-upmanship is left out. :mrgreen:
Listened to it this morning for the first time in a while and really enjoyed the Pele story. It can be hit and miss but when it's on form it's a gem of a radio show

Post by 95438756 »

Turned on Today, for what I was able to tolerate, not much:
first piece about HAPPINESS: The emotion, the weight, the high - The RTE agenda is soaking through here, Y'all be hap p e e c l a p e e n o w, or else.

I turned it off, and Radio 1 for the rest of the day.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I had it on in the background this morning - pretty poor. Now Mammy Miriam O'Call on - radio off. Mood improving.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Turned on today 4th june and tried to listen to first narrative. about preparing mushrooms and other stuff on a range......
...cue the obligatory "DELICIOUS" phrase that Tubbs uses in his morning show...
Radio Off.

Post by 95438756 »

Sunday program today

A piece about Dermot Morgan .
Quite good.segment.
Recalling., fr trendy and scrap Saturday and fr ted
Then a music piece

And then a segment about someone's toddler. grandson. FFS
What the fook do I care about these cranky things in buggies on go ahead and dublin bus?
Turn off radio again..
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I thought it pretty poor this morning - save for the Dermot Morgan piece which was a repeat. The long winded old bs about rowing out to some island must be one of the worst pieces to feature on the show - ever - and that's saying something.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Pretty dull fare this morning and the last piece - a poem (?) about Daniel O'Connell's funeral procession was self indulgent crap at its worst.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Turned on today, on a segment about Cincinatus, a Roman citizen and historian. And there's a statue of him with curly hair in the centre of Cincinatti in Ohio.
...the narrator segues this in with the current RUGBY of course. ffs. Click.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Rubbish this morning.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

One word for the programme this morning - AWFUL!!!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another dreadful dose this morning with the worst a makey-up story about traveling back to Ireland on the ferry, which apart from being factually incorrect, was just plain boring. I have generally given up listening to the programme but I was up early this morning and need background noise.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

One of the worst editions of the programme in years this morning with self indulgent crap celebrating the woeful Arts Council. Incidentally, I notice that two of the elite 7 member, Chairman-less, Council have only lived in the country since 2005 and 2011 respectively. There's diversity and inclusion in 21st century Ireland for you. :roll: :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'