Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sunday Miscellany - RTE

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Sunday Miscellany - RTE

Post by Del.Monte »

Longtime listener to this show as it brings me back to happy childhood memories when it used to be on at home but it really is hit and miss and today's offering was a load of rubbish. One segment was in the so-called 'national language' so I have no idea what it was about. Anybody else like the show?
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Sunday Miscellany - RTE

Post by CelticRambler »

It's part of my "comfort listening" when I return to the auld sod. I was rarely up early enough on a Sunday morning to hear it when I lived at home, but it was a very pleasant way to get into the right frame of mind for whatever had me out of bed at that hour if I did! Now, as I'm usually "an hour ahead" of the rest of the household when I go back, I'd here it more often, and it's a surprisingly strong emotional connection.

I have transcript of some of the earlier episodes upstairs. Can't quite remember why I asked for them, but they're not at any risk of being thrown out! :D

Post by 95438756 »

Good to know this thread has been started considering the tottering crumbling state of the other site.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:02 am Longtime listener to this show as it brings me back to happy childhood memories when it used to be on at home but it really is hit and miss and today's offering was a load of rubbish. One segment was in the so-called 'national language' so I have no idea what it was about. Anybody else like the show?
Oh for the days when it was the Ben & Sam show :D
Then it was neither 'popular or profitable' but every week seemed to be better than the last.
Like many things these days, its not what it used to be.
Comhrá
Verified Username

Post by Comhrá »

I still listen to it. I find it a nice relaxing respite from the perpetual stream of news, current affairs & interviews. Sort of walking into a quiet and calm church in a busy city centre.

I've listened to it since I was a youngster so there's a fair bit of nostalgia involved at this stage of my life.

I have one small gripe, and that's when I hear a piece of music I like, I have to wait till the end of the programme to find out the name of the performer.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I stopped listening many years ago as I found it depressing.
I gave it another chance one morning about 3 years ago.
Something like "They set the place at the table for their dead son" made me whack the off button.
I couldn't be arsed trying to listen to depressing crap in addition to the news.

The opening music does bring me back to childhood etc but the bit after is the problem.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Very hit and miss these days. Some weeks it seems to be people trying to outdo each other with their tales of foreign holidays in exotic locations.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:22 am It's part of my "comfort listening" when I return to the auld sod. ...
Can't you get it on LW in France? I know its a good distance but LW does "travel".

Post by 490808 »

Fratello wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 am I stopped listening many years ago as I found it depressing.
I can see your point. Its my wife that always has it on Sunday mornings (its a quick retune from BBC Radio 4 LW) and while I think its a quality production I do find some the the essays depressing.
dawg

Post by dawg »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:27 pm...I do find some the the essays depressing.
Editorial input implementing RTE policy ?

I mean, what program ( apart possibly from Ronan 'roundy birthday' Collins ) on RTE radio 1 isnt ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 pm Can't you get it on LW in France? I know its a good distance but LW does "travel".
Oh, I could get stream it as easily as I stream Radio na Gaeltachta ... but I prefer to keep certain things for when I'm "back home". RnaG is different - it's the only way I get to hear continental trad music, because France Musique doesn't seem to think that "trad" and "musique" belong together! :lol:

Post by 95438756 »

Listened to a bit this morning. About cycling in lanes. Because she needed the exercise. Then a band of women came together to fight a developer over a cottage. The whole story began to feel a bit too woke so I switched off again.
Breezin
Verified Username

Post by Breezin »

It has some great contributors, so I've listened to it regularly for decades.
I do find irritating those items where the author feels compelled to inform everyone how cosmopolitan they are, having conspicuously grown up/raised their kids typically in France or Italy, or holidayed in Argentina decades ago when no one else could afford to. 'The hot midday sun beat down on the sleepy village square...' 😴
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

A wide variety of awful tripe this morning - the noise of cars on the wet road outside is more interesting.

It's got even worse since my earlier comment and now some pretentious aspiring poet spouting in Irish.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Alright today. A passage about a village that ignored the Greenwitch meantime for some years and remained 25 minutes behind the official time.

The next passage was ok. I don't really know much about 'Sebastian' from 1981. Hardly Sebastian Coe, the athlete. The piece seemed a bit close - minded for any philistine liike me not in on it.
dawg

Post by dawg »

At the end of todays program I think that I heard 'Continuity' say

" ... and on this weeks Sunday's Miscellany..."

Please can anyone tell me a miss heard ?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The boxer shorts story was good - South Wall in Dublin Bay June 2008 - when 2,500 people took off their kit for a nude photoshoot by Spencer Tunick.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

The rest of it today was meh. Valentino as an early 'fast and loose' actor was good. Leonard Cohen writing the requem Mass.... I see.

Post by 95438756 »

Turned on today, and thought I was listening to a single item about Brendan kineally. How open minded he was, and his atti3 towards northern Ireland. Then a muc interlude in the flavour of Sunday Miscellany. Then, another piece starts on Brendan kineally. .... Click.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dreadful highfalutin rubbish this morning. Name dropping special.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Given up and now sticking to BBC Radio 4 of a Sunday morning (although I don't bother with the Archers anymore).

My wife still has Sunday Miscellany on in the kitchen.

Post by 95438756 »

About Irish Americans too. A piece about a mining magnate. Mr Daly. Described in very eloquent prosaic terms indeed. I'm sure the victims of his mining accidents are turning in their graves. Catholic vs Presbetyrian business men. all good clean fun. then a piece about an Irish American lady. again very romanticised ... bye bye

Post by 95438756 »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:47 am Given up and now sticking to BBC Radio 4 of a Sunday morning (although I don't bother with the Archers anymore).

My wife still has Sunday Miscellany on in the kitchen.
couple more minutes...hang in there mate

Post by 490808 »

Sorry Broadcasting House for me from now on.

I'm not keen on the presenter (although occasionally he does excellent interviews) and its all about somewhere I don't need to care about but that maybe why I like it on a Sunday morning.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I listen to it on my drive home from my nightshift every Sunday morning. It's a deliberate choice as I have grown weary of the gloom on other talk radio programmes. However, I do have my gripes. Primarily about the music. At times it can be longer than the actual prose/poem. Can the music be pared back a little? There may be time then to ad another story.