Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

8Radio.com

The wireless
Dec A Wash

8Radio.com

Post by Dec A Wash »

8Radio are back with a temporary license run on FM:

We’re ridiculously excited to confirm that 8Radio will be back on FM from October 22nd running for 5 weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. We continue of course online 24/7 via our Smartphone apps, TuneIn and Smart Speaker. We’re celebrating 8 years of 8Radio playing Indie music to listeners with discerning musical tastes! Join us on FM or online over the next 5 weekends and tell your friends to try 8Radio for size. Thanks to our title sponsor Whelanslive.com for ongoing support and help with this FM run. You can get full details on our FM run HERE.
Dec A Wash

Re: 8Radio.com

Post by Dec A Wash »

An old episode of Steve Conway's The A to Z of Great Track is being relayed tonight online - songs starting with "W" - from some time last year. Up to last week, he was going through the alphabet again and was in the middle of songs starting with "B". The penny did not drop straight away when he said he had been doing this just over 6 years: he started it in January 2014, so this episode had to be during the first half of 2020!

I wonder is that a mistake or has he managed to fall behind for some reason. I will try to listen to the "repeat" on Saturday at 10am just in case the coming temporary license has changed the schedule around. It will be on FM at that stage, which could be handy.

Incidentally, last night the RDS on 105.2 FM, recently vacated by Freedom FM, said 8Radio.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Never heard of 8Radio.com before, I'm more a fan of the Home Service or Light Programme when I have the wireless on.

'no more blah blah blah'
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

That newspaper cutting is going back a bit by the looks of it!

8Radio.com is a Dublin-based mainly online music station that was set up in 2013 by Simon Maher. It had its first of near-annual temporary license runs in 2014. Last year, with the pandemic, they remained online only. Its main orientation is towards alternative rock but it's flexible. They are great for promoting new music, including Irish acts. They do play older music too at times, mainly of the rock inclination. The aforementioned A to Z of Great Tracks has a right eclectic selection of tracks from a number of decades and some different genres too!

Simon Maher, who also presents on 8Radio, was involved with the pirate scene from 1990 until 2003. Much of that time was taken up with his own stations, the last being alternative rock pirate Phantom FM. This was set up in 1997 and finally ceased broadcasting as a pirate in May 2003. It then secured two temporary licenses for Dublin - later in 2003 and in 2004. Phantom secured a permanent alternative rock license for Dublin, after a competitive application process, and commenced its new phase on October 31st 2006 - horror fans like alternative rock of course!

Simon Maher became the General Manager of this new version of Phantom, with Ger Rowe, presenter of the Anorak Hour, being its Chief Executive. A number of changes were made to the station as it struggled financially in the brave new legal world, and in 2010, Communicorps (Denis O'Brien's media company) bought a share in Phantom. In early 2011, a number of managerial changes were made, including getting rid of the guy who started it in the first place - Simon Maher! In the final throw of the dash, the station was relaunched/rebranded in 2014 as TXFM, with more links to Today FM. It's 10-year license was due for renewal in 2016 and the decision was made to let it lapse so the station closed in October 2016. Some names associated with TXFM are still involved with Today FM in different capacities, such as John Caddell, Claire Beck and Cathal Funge.

In recent years, things have gone full circle for SImon as the vacant frequency after the demise of Phantom/TXFM was none other than 105.2 FM! Some of the presenters on 8Radio.com go back to Phantom/TXFM at different stages, such as Steve Conway. RTE reporter Jackie Fox has been a presenter on 8Radio too.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I listened for a bit this morning and again this evening. It was great to have them back on FM. The ever knowledgeable Dan McDermott was on first thinG and the ever cheerful Simon Maher was on this evening!
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I caught a bit of Paul Lynskey last night. He is one of the many largely unsung talents of 8Radio.com. He did a good job. Curiously, MW pirate Energy Power AM were relaying 8Radio.com last night!

Incidentally, I heard a bit of 8Radio this afternoon, It came in loud and clear on the car radio on its Dublin frequency of 105.2 all the way up in Drogheada, Co. Louth. That's a good reach.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I heard a bit of 8Radio this afternoon, I could just about pick it up near Curtlestown Woods (a bit outside Enniskerry, Co.Wicklow), but when I got to Enniskerry, it came in loud and clear on the car radio on its Dublin frequency of 105.2. To be fair, Enniskerry is just over the border!
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

As is his wont, Steve Conway had quite an eclectic bunch of songs on his A to Z of Great Tracks show this evening. He is currently making his way through songs that start with the letters BO. The more recognisable songs included: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Boogie Wonderland by Earth Wind and File with The Emotions, Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen, Born Slippy by Underworld and Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf!