Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Dumbing down of of everything on RTE Radio

The wireless

Re: Dumbing down of of everything on RTE Radio

Post by 95438756 »

Any chance it gets, RTE over other broadcasters makes out the HSE as if it is employing completely incompetent and stupid staff in all departments, consultants to management.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just heard a report on the passing of Galway/Roscommon TD Denis Naughten on the 8am news - at least that's the way it came across and it was in the news headlines not a special report. A eulogy to a TD who has decided not to stand in the next general election. Did he pen the piece himself or is he related to somebody in the newsroom. WTF!

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oir ... -election/
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Shock! Someone makes a career decision!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And now a four minute interview with the 'late' TD - what a hero!
'no more blah blah blah'
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

He must have done something that is soon to come to light.
He dodged a bullet when he resigned as MoC, meeting bidders in private is not a good look.

Post by 678904673 »

He ran unsuccessfully for the ceann comhairle last time. If he'd won that I'd say he'd be going nowhere come the next Election

Post by 95438756 »

Listening to Saturday 8 am news bulletin this morning was like listening to a primary school principle reading out announcements to a primary school assembly.
The warring parties in the sudanese civil war should just stop fighting.
Darkness into Light event..

Post by 95438756 »

It is clear as night follows day that Sport is top dog in the RTE radio agenda.
I listened to an article about the post pandemic problems with the music industry. And straight on then the upbeat clangy theme for the sports news interjects. Ffs.

If you're not sports mad then go @$___&+&(
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Okay, while many of us are fascinated by the Tubridy fiasco it doesn't rank in importance compared to what's happening in Russia but the "Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin" don't consider the Russian situation of interest. As, I always said, Putin could have fired off his missiles at us but RTE would have to go to a commercial break before letting us know when the missiles were due to arrive. A poor joke of a radio station.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:34 pm Okay, while many of us are fascinated by the Tubridy fiasco it doesn't rank in importance compared to what's happening in Russia but the "Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin" don't consider the Russian situation of interest. As, I always said, Putin could have fired off his missiles at us but RTE would have to go to a commercial break before letting us know when the missiles were due to arrive. A poor joke of a radio station.
no, does'nt really figure.
More significant for RTE 1 o'clock news to report
The 40th anniversary LGBQ parade in Dublin.

Post by 678904673 »

Russia falling apart. Potentially huge ramifications politically. Is Radio 1 all over it. Off course not. It's Saturday Sport. Live coverage from Roscommon v Cork in a game shag all care about
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:05 pm Russia falling apart. Potentially huge ramifications politically. Is Radio 1 all over it. Off course not. It's Saturday Sport. Live coverage from Roscommon v Cork in a game shag all care about
It's Saturday, everybody over the rank of dogsbody is off for the weekend and not reachable, and nobody else is allowed to show initiative.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:05 pm Russia falling apart. Potentially huge ramifications politically. Is Radio 1 all over it. Off course not. It's Saturday Sport. Live coverage from Roscommon v Cork in a game shag all care about
Ahh FFS why would they care about Russia, there are more important things to be worried about.
Like you know how there are so many racists now in Ireland, always giving out about those poor foreign lads who are fleeing real wars, somewhere.

I used to listen to Morning Ireland but it has gotten unlistenable.

Where the flying fook did they find the women that are now running it?
Surely the fook they could find one of the very many intelligent women in Ireland, not just a fooking dope that basically asked an expert the other day if it would be harder to find the lost submersible 4kms down on the ocean bed than on the surface of the Atlantic.

And this isn't the first those useless fooking eejits have left expert guests wondering what the fook am I talking to.

Post by 95438756 »

This is the most apt thread:

The first headline on the 1pm news on radio 1 Sunday's this week is:
TWO competitors in the Ironman event held in Youghal died.

and not

30 year old man received multiple stab wounds early Sunday morning in Grafton Street.
All over the local net.

Shame on you Helen McEntee.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

I tend to listen to radio in the mornings, but about once a month I tune in, in the afternoon but its always the same - Ray D'arcy going on about eating up food that has fallen on the ground, or if not that he's banging on about breastfeeding, with the same ground feeder perspective.

Overall, this rustic cuisine theme has been spun for not just too many weeks but for too many years. Themes that could be explored in the afternoon are absent due to the ongoing patter about Ray D'arcys feeding preferences.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

This wasn't on radio but did anyone see the headline about the MV Naomh Eanna in Grand Canal dock that is to be scrapped. Well RTE didn't say dismantled or scrapped they said it will be "torn apart". That is dumbed down language.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

It is not just RTE, but lots of media.

And has anyone of an older generation seriously taken a look at our education system of late.

I just had someone sit the junior cert recently and their 10 year old sibling could have passed the history exam.
It was like join the bloody dots.
And how about this for a statement, their history teacher told the class dates were unimportant.
FFS.
And it is not just history.

The gulf in difficulty between the junior cert and leaving cert curriculum is light years apart in comparison to the old Inter cert and leaving cert.

Added to that now everything being foisted on kids and younger generations feeds into them having the attention span of a gnat.

Yeah yeah I sound like old fuddy duddy, but we are lowering the bar so much at this stage.
No wonder people are worried about AI.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jmayo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:58 pm It is not just RTE, but lots of media.

And has anyone of an older generation seriously taken a look at our education system of late.

I just had someone sit the junior cert recently and their 10 year old sibling could have passed the history exam.
It was like join the bloody dots.
And how about this for a statement, their history teacher told the class dates were unimportant.
FFS.
And it is not just history.

The gulf in difficulty between the junior cert and leaving cert curriculum is light years apart in comparison to the old Inter cert and leaving cert.

Added to that now everything being foisted on kids and younger generations feeds into them having the attention span of a gnat.

Yeah yeah I sound like old fuddy duddy, but we are lowering the bar so much at this stage.
No wonder people are worried about AI.
Oh you are very much not a fuddy duddy - you are correct 100%!!

We are dealing with idiots!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane