Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Dumbing down of of everything on RTE Radio

The wireless
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Dumbing down of of everything on RTE Radio

Post by Del.Monte »

Perhaps it's just the bank holiday but you really have to ask what are they at in the newsroom. This morning they featured the arrest of some Columbian drug baron like it was breaking news. It happened on Saturday - it's hardly feckin news at this stage and is not newsworthy anyway as there's hundreds of other scumbags waiting to fill his shoes. The next Ad break featured a patronising Ad which stated we will do this that and the other to stop the pandemic not please do this but we will do this - nauseating waste of money. Ugh.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: Dumbing down of of everything on RTE Radio

Post by isha »

I rarely listen to radio. The homogenous, fake happy-clappy, aspirational, politically-correct, spin-doctor, faux-outrage, corporate vibes make me feel like it's the kind of broadcasting that would happen in the Truman Show or in a Huxley-style dystopian civilisation. RTE makes me feel helpless cynicism if I stumble upon it.

I like podcasts, especially history ones, and I'm going to sign up to Audible soon and listen to old classic books I have not yet readwhile I work.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 95438756 »

The thread title is like something I thought about a few years ago, on boards.

Post by 490808 »

As some might have read I tend to listen to BBC Radio 4 on Long Wave most of the time and I've been saying thats been dumbing down for the last 20 years. I think it might be that some of us are getting old and don't appreciate the same stuff that younger people do. Although with RTE one wonders if it was dumbed down from birth.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I am definitely getting old, but I need far more interesting entertainment than anything that RTE can dish out on the radio or television.
I very seldom watch much television, no matter what the channel. And the rte news...the repetition before and after the breaks manages to produce an hour long bulletin from 10 minutes of content. And then they make it law to pay for this crap.

Post by 95438756 »

kadman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 pm And then they make it law to pay for this crap.
You're reminded once every ad break.

Post by 95438756 »

I turned on RTE radio 1 at 5.57pm

In an ad break...

A long stupid ad about free online financial advice.
Another ad about extra tickets being available for Ed sheeran in crome Park brought to you by aikrn promotions
Then the signature for the already over dollop of Saturday sport.
Then the weather
Then the angelous
Then the 6.01 pm news
Headline: "everything opening up....."....

GAAGH... I switched it off.

... Essentially RTE wants to coerce all listeners into being HAPPY no matter their age or means.

This is the AGENDA that the audience will adhere to.

Of course there is a sizeable segment of thus audience who are lapping it up in any case nevertheless.

No more Saturday teatime radio for me that's fir sure

Post by 490808 »

They want to stop the BBC licence fee in the UK, just imagine the sh!t they will end up with. Although I hope its never as bad as RTE.

Post by 95438756 »

And the long boring silly ads. Turned on radio at 5.58 pm on Sunday to get news and weather.
Instead I got a stream of 4 long, silly, boring 'common sense' ads .... either the fella or the woman you know who.
Turned off tbe radio.

Post by 95438756 »

And now the Gay Pride movement has ended it's affiliation with Radio 1.

The end result of a policy of Pandering as much as possible to minority groups and to appease everybody in whatever way you can

Post by 95438756 »

RYE's solution is of course to "dumb down" some more light of this
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm And now the Gay Pride movement has ended it's affiliation with Radio 1.

The end result of a policy of Pandering as much as possible to minority groups and to appease everybody in whatever way you can

There was some discussion about this in the general affairs chat thread. Seems they didn’t give in to them.

Post by 95438756 »

So.. we got the teattime news at 5.45 PM so that the more serious business of the Mayo Kerry football match could be covered.

First Item on the short news bulletin

THE G7 HAS PREPARED A PACKAGE FOR DEVELOPING COUNTRIES WHICH IS SUPERIOR THAN CHINA'S BRICKS AND ROAD PLAN.

this went on for TWO minutes.

Fits nicely ito the agenda

Post by 95438756 »

Another analogy I will proffer here is on boards a few years ago in the economics section a poster correctly articulated that many just thrive in the routine of life like jenny wheeled the buggy down the street, and the councilor shuck baby's hand and the shopkeeper said how are ya and the birds sang..
This is the methodology that Radio 1 is following in it's Talk Shows. Sunday Miscellany is an apt platform here.
There's a method to my madness.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I don't know whether it's just on RTE but the dopey background music on while the weather forecast is being given out is really annoying. Is it that RTE/Met Eireann think that their listeners are so feeble minded that they need music to keep their attention?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Going by threads on boards.ie as well as threads posted here, I've arrived at the following abysmal conclusion:
The morning production meetings for such shows like Joe Duffy, Ray D'arcy is virtually identical to the way a toddler creche staff meeting planning the activity for next day. Only in this case for the show audience, not toddlers.

Post by 95438756 »

Today the burial of the GAA player Dillon Quirke gets blanket coverage on RTE news, online television and radio.
His funeral is coverage in depth, that and the impact in the GAA and the wider community.

If you're not in with GAA sport in any way, go elsewhere.

Post by 95438756 »

With the latest violent tragedy Radio 1's Ryan Tubridy leads by example. Tubridy prefaced his spiel by telling listeners he would not dwell on it.
And then preceded to devote most of the show today on the event.
And later, the grateful letter of support for Tubridy from listeners ( he broke down in tears) published from the approved channel.
I am not listening to Joe Duffy today.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Lyric FM is a prime offender. Unceremoniously binning regulars like Jazz Alley, giving more airtime to Marty's anecdotes that span half a century. In between the mindless blather, Ludovico Einaudi, Paolo Nutella and other saccharine pap to set middle-aged housewives' hearts aflutter. Three hours of that self-indulgent waffle every morning. Dee Forbes and other culturally blind neophytes deserve a flying kick to oblivion.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

Post by 765489 »

I liked one of Ludovico Einaudi's albums but found when I got the second one ot was more of the same, now I can't listen to him anymore!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:04 am I liked one of Ludovico Einaudi's albums but found when I got the second one ot was more of the same, now I can't listen to him anymore!
Par for the course in the music business from Caruso to the Beatles. If it sells, rinse and repeat.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

Surely, you don't mean that you think that every Beatles album is the same?
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Avey Terrible wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:34 pm Surely, you don't mean that you think that every Beatles album is the same?
In the beginning, they were very similar. It was only after they made acquaintance with the Guru and the weed, and started their own label, that their music really changed. That's not to say their music wasn't good, I was a big fan, but they, like all artistes including Elvis, were contracted to recording companies and it was those companies that had the final say on what material was recorded. John Lennon is on record as saying that the demands made on Paul and himself by Parlophone, to produce more and more, was one of the greatest stresses of his life. Epstein was responsible for seeing the Beatles weren't burnt out by 1964 as Beatlemania took off, by negotiating better contracts than many of their contemporaries. Without him there may never have been a Hard Day's Night, Sgt.Pepper or Revolver.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

marhay70 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:57 pm In the beginning, they were very similar. It was only after they made acquaintance with the Guru and the weed, and started their own label, that their music really changed. That's not to say their music wasn't good, I was a big fan, but they, like all artistes including Elvis, were contracted to recording companies and it was those companies that had the final say on what material was recorded. John Lennon is on record as saying that the demands made on Paul and himself by Parlophone, to produce more and more, was one of the greatest stresses of his life. Epstein was responsible for seeing the Beatles weren't burnt out by 1964 as Beatlemania took off, by negotiating better contracts than many of their contemporaries. Without him there may never have been a Hard Day's Night, Sgt.Pepper or Revolver.
They were similar but you could still see them growing as songwriters. It just became more obvious around the time of Help!/Rubber Soul.

Post by 95438756 »

Another apt analogy is to compare radio 1's daily program schedule is to that of a class schedule for a co ed First Year secondary school student.:
Morning: Mr Tubridy Waffle and riffing
Mrs Byrne. Doom and Gloom
Midday. Mr Collins Sunshine lollipops and big roundy birthdays
Afternoon. Mr Duffy. Light touch Civics until 3
Mr D'Arcy. Gentle Philosophy
Evening. Mr OhAodhra more doom and gloom , with obligatory humour segment at 17:50

7pm Arts
8pm Mr Creedon. :. Wind down