Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Marty's Moustache

The wireless
isha
Verified Username

Marty's Moustache

Post by isha »

It's been a little while since I tuned in to Marty, as I am not driving in the early mornings these days. But when I switched on today it was The Bear Necessities followed up immediately by Toto's Rains Down in Africa.
What's not to like! :)

I don't care what anyone says about him, he is a cheerful bloke and there are some nice tunes to brighten the morning. (I hope to phuc he is not ruining things these days by bashing on about vaccines.)

Years ago I said, sort of shame-facedly, to my very trendy younger Sister in law that I listen to Marty in the Morning and she said ''But sure what else would one listen to?'' :lol:

Last year about this time I was driving along and Marty played this one which was new then from Andrea Bocelli and Cecilia Bartoli and I had to pull in I was crying so much :oops: Listen to it without watching the video which is incredibly sappy. Although I would not mind living in that place!

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Dec A Wash

Re: Marty's Moustache

Post by Dec A Wash »

I don't listen to Lyric FM, but any inclination that I might have has been ruined by referring to Marty Whelan's moustache! I would be stuck with that image. Incidentally, that song by Toto is entitled Africa. What is that AOR song (or yacht rock in this case) doing on a station that is supposed to be classical-oriented? Or, indeed, The Bare Necessities (bare - not bear!)? I used to listen to Marty years ago doing breakfast on Century Radio, and briefly before that on 2FM, but I just couldn't stomach that prospect now. He is a nice guy, but I cringe when I hear him on the tv. I think I will stick with my dose of Newstalk most mornings and a bit of 8Radio.com tomorrow morning when it continues its temporary license.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hahaha πŸ˜… I am famous in a very small world for getting song titles completely wrong. True to form.

The thing is he plays literally anything. Then you can switch lyric off and wait for John Kelly in the evening for another (cooler) selection of God knows what.

Pssst....Moustache...moustache...moustache... πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Listening to Lyric,especially Marty, makes me a better driver (on the very rare occasions I actually use the car these days). It's not that I particularly like the music, but it's just a warm fuzzy cocoon. I'm so relaxed I don't concern myself with the general ar$eholery on the road.

If I make the mistake of tuning into Newstalk, there's something about the content and the urgency of its delivery that just turns me into a swivel headed maniac. I'm glued to the bumper of the car ahead trying to get through traffic lights as they're turning red and ranting and swearing at everyone in sight...
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

isha wrote: ↑Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:35 am Hahaha πŸ˜… I am famous in a very small world for getting song titles completely wrong. True to form.

The thing is he plays literally anything. Then you can switch lyric off and wait for John Kelly in the evening for another (cooler) selection of God knows what.

Pssst....Moustache...moustache...moustache... πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨πŸ‘¨
John Kelly is someone I actually feel indebted to, for introducing me to so much 'alternative' music, art, literature, etc through the View and Other Voices at a critical age in my life.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Riffmongous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:59 am John Kelly is someone I actually feel indebted to, for introducing me to so much 'alternative' music, art, literature, etc through the View and Other Voices at a critical age in my life.
He is a very cool dude. All round Renaissance man. It is very calming to listen to him.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

''But sure what else would one listen to?'' :lol:

Last year about this time I was driving along and Marty played this one which was new then from Andrea Bocelli and Cecilia Bartoli and I had to pull in I was crying so much :oops: Listen to it without watching the video which is incredibly sappy. Although I would not mind living in that place!

[/quote]
πŸ‘. It's the only channel I have on, just for the music. The Andrea Bocelli song gets played nearly every morning; never had a clue who it was and would be keeping an eye on the display in the hope it would show. Hearing is too dull to pick up most of what's being said on radio.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's a beauty alright. I did not know he plays it that often, but it's a good while since I have tuned in...until today :)
dawg

Post by dawg »

+1 for Marty :D

Though I cant help feeling that some of ye are really saying 'look how early I'm on the road' :lol:
Cyclepath wrote: ↑Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:48 am Listening to Lyric,especially Marty, makes me a better driver (on the very rare occasions I actually use the car these days). It's not that I particularly like the music, but it's just a warm fuzzy cocoon. I'm so relaxed I don't concern myself with the general ar$eholery on the road....
I have some some burned CDs of Francoise Hardy songs to do this :D

It works a treat for me.....and includes

( Joe Dolan did a version of this too :P )

Then there are the duets

and, of course, the song that started her off ( because it reminds me of very special times :D )

Works for me :D

( meant only to post the links, didnt want all the YT pics to come up but dont know how to prevent same )

edit :

Perhaps the favourite of this sad old dawg :