Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Why Not Much Interest Here (So far) in Music Stations, Pirate Stations, and Anoraking?

The wireless
Dec A Wash

Why Not Much Interest Here (So far) in Music Stations, Pirate Stations, and Anoraking?

Post by Dec A Wash »

Started in Housekeeping. Moved here.
Dec A Wash wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:43 pm Apologies if this has been mentioned already, as I don't fancy reading through 22 pages!

Anyway, I have noticed that nearly all the posts. and the threads, on the Radio forum in Gubu relate to RTE Radio One, Newstalk or Lyric FM, and maybe BBC Radio 4. I know someone started a Bandscan thread, like the one on Boards, i.e. what pirates were picked up on the radio, but it has got very little traction. I started one about favourite pirates, which in fairness did have some replies. I also started ones about 8Radio.com and Christmas FM - the first getting a small reaction, and the second getting none so far. What does that say about those that contribute to the Radio forum here. Music-driven stations don't seem to be of interest here. Even Today FM is not really being mentioned. Community radio stations are not mentioned either as it happens. There does not seem to be much sign of anoraks here either, whether for current or past pirates Contrast this with the Radio forum on Boards.

I'm just curious. What do people think? Will that stop more crossing over from Boards?
CelticRambler wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:37 am To the best of my knowledge, I never set foot in the Radio forum over there; and any contribution I make on the subject here will refer to French radio more than any Irish (or British) station. I think you're seeing the kind of niche interest that was able to exist under the great umbrella that was the Old Boards, and one that's very unlikely to be recreated here simply because that's not the way the internet world works any more.
Dec A Wash wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:29 pm I had a look at the Radio forum here again, and there's not much change there. The music stations and pirates are not getting much of a look-in, never mind anything of an anorak nature!
Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:42 pm I actually tuned into 8Radio.com after reading your post here the other day Dec. I for one do read your posts and find them interesting but I'm not knowledgeable enough about radio to add anything. I'm mostly just listening to Lyric FM now. I used to listen to Phantom FM and know one of the girls that used to present on that on a Saturday morning.there was a metal slot on it and an anorak hour I used to listen to.

Speaking of anoraks I had a two track reel I sold to a guy probably 20 years ago. I brought it to his house, not sure where he lived it was so long ago. But he was a serious anorak. He had a full radio station in his attic. He gave me a demonstration for a couple of minutes. He said when he switches it on neighbours complain that it affected their television signals.

I think he was the technician who originally set up Phantom FM. Very interesting man.
Dec A Wash wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:42 pm Interesting post. Thanks for you kind comments. I can fill in a few things you said about Phantom.

The metal show idea started during Phantom's pirate days and continued on for the rest of its time as Phantom, with a possible brief hiatus during some of the temporary license phases, until just before its relaunch as TXFM. The original presenter, AFAIK, was Tom Hayes, who had presented a similar show in the 1980s on Nitesky Radio. It became synonymous, though, with Ray McGowan from the pirate era on. For as long as I had heard it, the program was called Metal Note.

The Anorak Hour was presented by Ger Rowe. He had been presenting shows like that on various pirates over the years. Simon Maher, owner/operator of '90s pirate Coast FM, used to do a "free radio", i.e. pirate, bandscan every Sunday. In 1995, Coast FM merged with Melody FM, keeping the name Coast FM. Ger Rowe came from Melody FM and brought his Anorak Hour, which incorporated Simon's bandscan. Coast FM was succeeded by, first, Spectrum and, then, Phantom. The Anorak Hour continued through the latter's two temporary license runs (as Media Beacon) and for the first year of Phantom's permanent license run. Ger Rowe was also the first Chief Executive of the fully licensed Phantom.

AFAIK, SImon Maher set up Phantom, albeit with the help of a number of other individuals. I don't think he was a technician so that may be one of the others. Can you remember his name? I think possibly Ger Rowe might have that kind of background.

Who was the girl that you knew, or maybe you would prefer not to say? I know that Today FM's Alison Curtis is a former Saturday morning presenter in Phantom's pirate days. I also know that Nadine O'Regan presented programs on Saturday mornings on fully legal Phantom and its relaunched entity as TXFM.
Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:25 am The girl's first name was Tara Dec, she was an American. I can't think of her maiden name. She married my best friend and they emigrated to Boston. She was there during the pirate phase of Phantom. She used to sometimes have Irish bands come in which she used to laugh at it as they were all like sardines in the small shed they used to broadcast from. Last time I was in Boston she organised a tour of Berkley Music College for myself and her husband as he was heavily involved in music and still is to this day.

I was speaking to my father after reading your post last night and asked if he could recall the name of the man I brought over the 2 track to. Unfortunately we don't have a name, but my father said it was a house in Clondalkin. He had a massive music collection up in the attic too. And one of his fears was that if he got raided they would confiscate his music collection. Which is why he didn't broadcast. He mentioned other radio stations he was involved with ( could be Nova ? ) I'd say he's in his 70s now if he's still alive. Remember he gave me a CD of Taste when I was going as both my Father and myself loved Rory Gallagher's music.

Tom Hayes I followed since my school days. All the metallers including myself tuned into him when he was on. Was a great way to find out new bands. Everyone would have a tape recorder and I remember myself, brother and friend who's now in Boston having the tape cassettes ready and fingers on the play and record button. Once Tom introduced a new band and if they were any good we'd be saving up and making the trip into Tommy in Soundcellar to order the album.

My mother was the real expert on pirate radio stations in our house, she'd be scanning all the time for pirates. There was one in a housing estate in Swords she used to like and we actually used to have a vegetable round in the estate and call into the man and woman running the station. It was either Castlefarm or Broadmeadows estate ( we used to do the two of them ). Big antenna out in the back garden. They used to do country music and rebel songs etc.. was a very popular station at the time. Possibly late 80s. In her later years she used to tune into Near FM and Beaumont Radio. One thing she loved was Ska music. There was two lads that used to have a show on Near FM ( might still do ) playing Ska and Reggae. She used to be ring them up and talking to them in the background making requests etc

Anyway I stopped listening to Phantom when they became legal. I'm not sure why.
Dec A Wash wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:21 pm While I am aware of various Taras on Phantom at different stages (one calling herself Pearl!), I was not aware of this particular lady. I did a Google search and sure enough someone called Tara in Boston commented on Boards.ie in 2004 on Phantom getting the license...and she mentioned her husband Brian! She was one of those presenters that seems to have not been mentioned since.

In relation to the technician from Clondalkin, anybody I was aware of involved with setting up Phantom would be in their 40s and 50s now - certainly not their 70s, not even their 60s! I would love to know who this is. I wonder was it an entirely different station that he was connected with?

Tom Hayes presented his heavy metal show on Thursday nights in the late 1980s on (Capitol) Nitesky Radio. I remember he preceded it with another show where he played Rhythm and Blues!

The pirate station from Swords that played country music and rebel music? That's a new one for me! There was a very influential station in the early 1980s from Swords called KELO, but it played pop music! For most of the 1980s, there was a station that played largely Irish C&W called Treble TR, but that was on the southside. When was this mysterious station around?

Interesting bits of information there.
Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:39 pm That's them Dec, Tara and Brian. Maybe she did call herself Pearl! Next time I'm in Boston or if they come back for a visit I'll ask her.

The man in Clondalkin was in is late 40s / early 50s when I gave him the 2 track. He must be in his 70s now I meant to say. Could be a completely different station as my dad said no it wasn't Phantom but I'm nearly sure he said he at least helped them out in some way and it was Tara or Brian who put me on to this man before they emigrated.

I'm going to ask my dad about the Swords station. I'll be back with information tomorrow on this one.
Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:12 pm Dec, just to add I got a bit more information about the man from Clondalkin and the Swords station.

My dad agreed with me that it was possibly Radio Nova he was involved with not Phantom. If it's any help to you.

The Swords station. He said the man that was one of the DJs on it was a guy called Danny Tobin. My father said it wasn't his real name. He used to go around swords on a bike and wear a cap and people would approach him and give him song requests. He said it was initially in Feltrim but was moved to the owner of the station's house in Broadmeadows. It was the late 80s.

I done a search for Danny Tobin and came up with a Blues guitarist. Definitely not him.

And my father just remembered the name of the station in Swords - Radio Na nGael. There was also a program on it presented in the Irish language.
CelticRambler wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:52 pm Isn't it mad to think that the height of subversive activity in the Irish republic in the 1980s was broadcasting songs from an amateur radio station! I never listened to any of them as I just wasn't into that kind of music, but was aware of some of the names and the absolute determination on the part of the government (and the Guards) to shut them down. Bearing in mind that the Troubles were in full flow too, back then, you'd have to wonder what was going through the mind of the various ministers concerned ...

This tangent has taken the thread into far more interesting territory that it's original title would suggest - could probably do with being split off into a thread of its own at this point.
Dec A Wash wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:06 pm Thanks for all that.
Radio Na nGael - from Radiowaves:
http://radiowaves.fm/ire/database/dubli ... -na-ngael/
The American Tara was definitely not Pearl, aka Tara Gleeson, who is still in Dublin!

Re: Why Not Much Interest Here (So far) in Music Stations, Pirate Stations, and Anoraking?

Post by 765489 »

Dec, I want to ask you a question. Why did pirate radio stations die off ? Or am I correct in assuming this ? Was it tightening up of legislation ?
Dec A Wash

Re: Why Not Much Interest Here (So far) in Music Stations, Pirate Stations, and Anoraking?

Post by Dec A Wash »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:45 pm Dec, I want to ask you a question. Why did pirate radio stations die off ? Or am I correct in assuming this ? Was it tightening up of legislation ?
There are still some pirates around, mainly around the border areas and weekends in Dublin, but there are certainly not that many these days. Yes, legislation was tightened up, and there are now many other alternatives for radio experience, such as online stations, community stations and temporary licenses, without the hassle of operating a pirate station.

After the Govt. deadline of midnight December 31st 1988 for pirates to close down, ahead of the setting up the first independent licensed radio stations, most of the pirates shut down. Only a handful around the country continued into 1989.

There was something of a resurgence of pirate activity during the 1990s, particularly in Dublin. There were a few reasons for this, with one of them being an explosion in the dance club scene. Another was pirates catering for niche areas, which is where Phantom came in for example, and also a couple of country music stations. At that point, pirate radio was still a good way to gain radio experience. A lot of pirate activity continued in the '00s, especially dance-oriented ones. There were a number of occasions during the 21st century when stations were raided by Comreg. For example, May 2003 was a key date when a lot of pirates were forced to shut. It was shortly after that when Phantom decided to go the legal route for good, having applied for a few licenses previously.

In recent years, there have been a number of older adult-oriented stations, particularly oldies-oriented ones. They tend to be hobby horse operations where the players all know each other and often join forces. The main players in the oldies stations have been around a long time in the pirate scene, with some licensed radio experience along the way. One long-running pirate from this century called Easy Radio finally gave up on the FM transmissions last year, going fully online, and came back this year with a temporary license on FM. The dance pirates are less in evidence these days but there are still a few around - a lot have gone online.

Post by 765489 »

I got an Internet radio there a couple of years ago. If there is anything happening over in the States re storms / hurricanes etc it's great for finding a local talk radio type program to find out whats happening on the ground.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Back on Boards.ie, there is a dedicated thread to Christmas FM on their dedicated Christmas forum, and it is still getting quite a bit of traction even after the Boards changeover. Over here, my Christmas FM thread is getting very little attention on the day of its FM launch.

Today FM gets plenty of attention on the Radio forum on Boards.ie, but nothing on this forum. Nobody interested in Today FM here, not even The Last Word. Seems to be no interest in music-driven stations here.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I played on Radioactive for a while in the mid-90s. Broadcast out a flat in Dublin 1. Good fun; mostly punk & indie.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dec A Wash wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:46 pm Back on Boards.ie, there is a dedicated thread to Christmas FM on their dedicated Christmas forum, and it is still getting quite a bit of traction even after the Boards changeover. Over here, my Christmas FM thread is getting very little attention on the day of its FM launch.

Today FM gets plenty of attention on the Radio forum on Boards.ie, but nothing on this forum. Nobody interested in Today FM here, not even The Last Word. Seems to be no interest in music-driven stations here.
Could it be down to age of posters here? I know I rarely if ever listen to music on the wireless these days. Why listen to music on the radio when there are multiple better ways of getting a fix that weren't available in the old days?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

My memories of Phantom: different. Ray was cool. TXFM was a 'lite' version.

On the flip side, even print media has a more widespread opinion now and even itself more politically correct