Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tubridy retiring from the Late Late!

Da telly
Fratello
Verified Username

Re: Tubridy retiring from the Late Late!

Post by Fratello »

Worse than Ryan?
I don't watch it anyway so I don't care much.
I'm not sure what one could do with the show at this stage. It had it's day, decades ago.

Post by 95438756 »

Fratello wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:41 pm It had it's day, decades ago.
A platform for the Billy Barry kids. And former Leinster Munster rugby players.

Post by 678904673 »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:35 pm A platform for the Billy Barry kids. And former Leinster Munster rugby players.
And the obligatory interviews with certain GAA "personalities".
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

About time, a sanctimonious FF leech.
Easy to retire with between 7 and 10 mill gross since he took over the LLS

Post by 95438756 »

Posters on Planks for the audience. The only requirements being to say Weeoooo and Woooooooooo at times when the competitions are announced or a song is to be played.

Post by 678904673 »

Good news. Scare Byrne has officially ruled herself out

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0 ... late-host/

Post by 678904673 »

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:37 pm And we have a new host

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0 ... late-show/
I do like Patrick Kielty but I feel the Late Late should be killed off at this stage it's had it's day
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Because I don't watch TV I have literally never heard Patrick Kielty speak, so I don't know anything about him. I wish him well. Checked out one of the stories about him today and was surprised to see his father was killed by Loyalist paramilitaries in 1988. Kielty would have been 17 at the time. That would have been a terrible thing to cope with as a teenager. The only other things I know are his wife is very glamorous and he is very pale looking!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I think I'm in my sixth decade now of not watching the Late Late Show and Patrick Kielty, amiable chap though he may be, is unlikely to change that.
I always thought Gay Byrne was a smarmy git, and it pissed me off big time the way the females of the previous generation to mine, hung on his every word, these were the people to whom you looked for knowledge and wisdom and to see their heads turned by his plamás was disconcerting, to say the least. I expected better.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Can't imagine that Kielty fella bringing many viewers back to the show.

I haven't watched it in years as it's always the same people every couple of months , Brendan O Carroll goes on and bangs on about how amazing his mother was and then just the same old usual shite .
Irish television in general does my head in. It's the same tiny puddle of "celebrities" that just share jobs amongst themselves and there doesn't seem to be, not that I know of anyways, many new up and coming talent , obviously apart from that Lottie Ryan one who insists her father had nothing to do with her getting the career she has.

Late late toy show was alright when I was a kid but then when ya get older you realize that most of the kids they bring on the show are only little posh wankers with the odd token "poor" child thrown in .

Post by 95438756 »

You are all a disgrace. No posts about Turdidity's final LLS!!!

Too busy looking at posts on planks about hobitty then. Like meself.
Good on yez! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Now it becomes clear why Turgidy vacated the grand stage in a hurry:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0622/1390614-rte/

We've been taken for complete mugs. Imagine pocketing €350,000 greater than your published salary over five years, no moral gumption to admit the truth. Meanwhile the TV Licence ad is rammed down our throats day and night. RTÉ = Ryan Tubridy Extortion.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

Post by 678904673 »

Berties_Horse wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:58 pm Now it becomes clear why Turgidy vacated the grand stage in a hurry:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0622/1390614-rte/

We've been taken for complete mugs. Imagine pocketing €350,000 greater than your published salary over five years, no moral gumption to admit the truth. Meanwhile the TV Licence ad is rammed down our throats day and night. RTÉ = Ryan Tubridy Extortion.
I suspect Tubbs wasn't the only 'star' availing of this arrangement. There will be a few nervous people in RTE tonight hoping this story goes away
jmcc
Verified Username

Post by jmcc »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:21 pm I suspect Tubbs wasn't the only 'star' availing of this arrangement. There will be a few nervous people in RTE tonight hoping this story goes away
Sacrifices may have to be made in RTE. The RTE newsroom seem to be having a great time reporting all this.

Regards...jmcc
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:21 pm I suspect Tubbs wasn't the only 'star' availing of this arrangement. There will be a few nervous people in RTE tonight hoping this story goes away
Perhaps that accounts for why Joe Duffy was even more agitated and ignorant than usual on Liveline today. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I think the spin doctors at RTE and Noel Kelly Management have missed a trick here.

They've known this was going to become public since March/April, plenty of time to get ahead of it.

All they needed to do was to leak it out the backdoor to The Ditch.

The Ditch would have gone big with it, but the sh*tstorm would have gone no further than twitter and RTE/government/other media/Joe Public could have all ignored it completely as fake news and Russian propaganda. Nothing to see here. Job done.

I hope they're not overpaying their PR consultants as much as Ryan Tubsidy.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I love to see these types - Tubs and Dee Forbes etc - squirming and indeed RTE too. Am I a bad person? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Looks like this came to light the week Tubridy announced he was leaving TLLS. Now there's a coincidence 🤔
Last edited by 678904673 on Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

When thew TV license inspector comes to my door I'm telling him all is in order I paid Ryan using Revolut
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Anybody else getting excited about what might be in the Sunday papers?

Or do we think it will be more of the same?

Even if there are no new revelations, I'll be interested to see what the columnists take on Tubridy's role is. If they editorials and opinion pieces go hard on him tomorrow, he'll struggle to get over this.

I bet there has been some epic lobbying going on.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Looks like some disgruntled RTE employees have been talking to the Sunday papers, perhaps even to top up their meagre salaries.

Sunday Times has this: Revealed: how RTE channelled undeclared money to Ryan Tubridy
The payments were organised by RTE, which arranged for the creation of the invoices, which were labelled as consultancy services, before being settled by the British media firm Astus last year.
Tubridy’s name was not mentioned on any paperwork or payments.
RTE and Astus maintained a barter relationship where services were exchanged and traded. The London firm is said to have acted in good faith at all times and there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on its part, or on the part of either Kelly or Tubridy.
Kelly sent the invoices to RTE which forwarded them to Astus to process the payments at an overall cost to RTE’s barter account of €230,760, according to sources with knowledge of the affair.
The €150,000 was in lieu of two annual sums originally intended to be paid by Renault, which previously sponsored The Late Late Show but which did not renew an agreement that was underwritten by RTE.
The consultancy invoices covered top-up payments of €75,000 for the years 2021 and 2022 but made no reference to Tubridy or his company Tuttle Productions. “There was an explicit instruction by RTE to anonymise the transactions and use no names,” The Sunday Times was told yesterday.
Kelly was told by RTE not to mention any names on the invoices, which were generated on behalf of CMS Marketing, a company he controls. The money was paid into a bank account at AIB in Westmoreland Street, Dublin, controlled by Kelly’s company and for his client, Tubridy.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

schmittel wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:47 am Looks like some disgruntled RTE employees have been talking to the Sunday papers, perhaps even to top up their meagre salaries.

Sunday Times has this: Revealed: how RTE channelled undeclared money to Ryan Tubridy
Tell your boss you want your onsite overtime payment for last week anonymized and paid through an agent. No need for it to go through the company's books as a contracted payment, as after all, it was an unforeseen development for both parties and the cost will be picked up by your customer. Good luck with that.
Buford T. Justice VI

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

schmittel wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:47 am Looks like some disgruntled RTE employees have been talking to the Sunday papers, perhaps even to top up their meagre salaries.

Chances are high that he's not the only presenter to have been similarly rewarded by RTE. I would have expected some statements from others in the same pay bracket as Tubridy to have issued statements saying they haven't been paid by this method.

Which makes it all the more interesting when some of those are tasked with asking the required questions of Tubridy or his representatives. If they're found as having similar payment methods, their questioning will be analysed to see if they asked the required type of questions.

Fun times ahead, I'd say.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:01 am Tell your boss you want your onsite overtime payment for last week anonymized and paid through an agent. No need for it to go through the company's books as a contracted payment, as after all, it was an unforeseen development for both parties and the cost will be picked up by your customer. Good luck with that.
TBF I know lads get their overtime paid in cash,or as time-off-in-lieu during quiet time in winter.........employers may not like it,but lads simply won't do the overtime otherwise/or leave for better paying similar jobs

Tubridy being all high-and-mighty for years,clapping himself in the back for taking paycuts etc etc,while getting paid via a work-around is pretty much a perfect metaphor for the Irish establishment..... he'll set down until all this blows over,and continue unabated.

Dee Forbes career is over however,and likely hood of an outside manager taking over seems inevitable
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein