Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The way new and old IRISH TV channels are run makes traditional Television broadcasting a DYING Technology

Da telly

The way new and old IRISH TV channels are run makes traditional Television broadcasting a DYING Technology

Post by 95438756 »

Tired formats in chat shows as well as news and current affairs. Milking the bejaysus out of Fitness. Advertising SKY packages on rte as if sky is something like the best thing invented since sliced bread. I'm particularly looking at RTÉ 1 here. BBC television is much more forward looking even if BBC 4 was severely pared back in the recent past
Not worth paying for a tv licence to Montrose at all.

Re: The way new and old IRISH TV channels are run makes traditional Television broadcasting a DYING Technology

Post by 765489 »

Alot of dead wood in RTE. I've got six stations, I rarely look at either RTE1 or 2 now, only if there's a good film on it... which is rare. I watch Virgin media 3 for the likes of Prime Suspect and these type of things as I have never had BBC ( Playing catchup with the rest of the population who saw all this stuff probably 20 years ago )... just the rabbit ears. I like TG4 sometimes.

I see there's Skynews on my station list now. Think I watched 5 minutes of it and reminded me of sitting in a pub with it annoyly running behind the bar and said to myself fck this.

Radio and Youtube usually for me now. Until I get my smart TV stick whenever I get around to it.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Re: The way new and old IRISH TV channels are run makes traditional Television broadcasting a DYING Technology

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

I agree that RTÉ is fairly stale in terms of programming, compared to the BBC for example. (though they have way more money than RTÉ do, due to the much larger population Britain has compared to Ireland)

On a Reddit thread about this (of all places :roll: ), there's an interesting comment by someone who has worked in the industry about how bad RTÉ is at making content, due to the companies structure.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/commen ... t/gc9qo7m/

There's also talk about the government imposing a levy on Streaming Services (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) as a way to increase revenue for RTÉ, even though the Player is total crap.

Post by 95438756 »

Well thanks for the link Danny!
Rte company structure mustn't have changed much since 1961 so, and they sell off land around Donnybrook any time they need some cash.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

RTE are sloppy as hell. Prime example is, as I've mentioned on xxxxxx.ie, replaying weather forecasts the next day when those forecasts mention today, tonight, tomorrow etc. Even though it may sound like a trivial thing, I think it says a lot about them. They don't realise that this makes them seem like eejits or if they do realise, they don't care.

Other stuff too - they are constantly getting captions wrong, spelling people's names incorrectly.

It's the opposite to a slick operation, it was never slick but other broadcasters have upped their games.

Best things about RTE are Prime Time Investigates, the repeats of Reeling in the Years and Aertel (WST on sky).

Post by 765489 »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:38 am Well thanks for the link Danny!
Rte company structure mustn't have changed much since 1961 so, and they sell off land around Donnybrook any time they need some cash.
When I heard they were selling off part of Montrose, to me that signifies that they are on their last legs and getting desperate. They proceeds of that sale will just be gobbled up on wages and they will be back in the same situation again.