Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

BBC 4 Thread

Da telly

BBC 4 Thread

Post by 95438756 »

Sad that this channel is being wound down.
Watched a cool program about Hubble telescope last night. Very informative about shuttle flights to repair and service it. And the cosmic pictures it takes are astounding.
Then followed by Sky at Night.
marhay70

Re: BBC 4 Thread

Post by marhay70 »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 am Sad that this channel is being wound down.
Watched a cool program about Hubble telescope last night. Very informative about shuttle flights to repair and service it. And the cosmic pictures it takes are astounding.
Then followed by Sky at Night.
I thought it was BBC Three that was being wound down, is it both of them? Shame if BBC 4 goes, always some interesting programmes on, although probably not for the Love Island aficionados.
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

A shadow of the channel it was a decade ago. Mostly repeats since cost cutting measures were brought in at the bbc some time back. A brilliant provider of intelligent programs in it's heyday. The move towards online only content is bad news for anyone outside the uk as well.

Post by 95438756 »

marhay70 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:53 pm I thought it was BBC Three that was being wound down, is it both of them? Shame if BBC 4 goes, always some interesting programmes on, although probably not for the Love Island aficionados.
Being the Tory bulwark it is, the cutbacks are applied always and everywhere in the BBC. Similar brutal surgical cus are applied to BBC radio on a regular basis.
Think of it like the regular schedule of redundancies in American companies
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm another that enjoyed BBC4. Shame it's being culled.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

If this is true about BBC4, that's a pity. I watched it almost exclusively for its music specials and repeats, especially on Friday nights. I saw some great musical performances and some interesting music documentaries. I enjoyed watching some of the Top of The Pops repeats as well - always good to have it recorded so you can skip the tedious bits! I have noticed recently that quite a few musical programmes, such as compilations of Top of the Pops performances, have been shown on BBC2 on Saturday nights. Maybe that is part of the plan.

Post by 95438756 »

. BBC4 makes a great platform for Joe Public to submit his homebrew tv program to.
Like a bedroom coder submitted their self programmed computer game to companies like ocean and imagine.
But, old aunt wants to wield the beeching axe this time on bbc4, not on British railways