Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Old daytime tv shows

Da telly

Old daytime tv shows

Post by 95438756 »

I'm taking about Sally Jessy Raphael, Rikki Lake and Rtes own offering Live at 3.
Is there any memorable show you remember?
I remember Live at 3 did a regular wedding segment, budgeting a paupers wedding, middle class wedding, and rich person's wedding. One time polar bear cubs from Dublin zoo were brought on. In another show a segment was done on feral cats, not your nice neighborhood pet moggy.
And good for the time, there was even a segment on car maintenance and precautions to take before going on a long journey.

Re: Old daytime tv shows

Post by 678904673 »

Robert Kilroy Silk use to have a morning show on ITV. My recollection of it is being a slightly higher brow version of Jeremy Kyle. Which isn't saying much
KHD

Post by KHD »

I see Hart to Hart is on TG4. Jonathan Hart is currently held hostage by a jewel thief. No sign of cigar smoking Max to save the day.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:27 pm I see Hart to Hart is on TG4. Jonathan Hart is currently held hostage by a jewel thief. No sign of cigar smoking Max to save the day.
That was a dreadful show and it's difficult to say which of three main characters were worse - Robert Wagner who couldn't act to save his life, air head Stephanie Powers or the painful performances of smart arse narrator/chauffeur Max.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

I just remember the open top Mercedes as the only memorabilia from Hart to Hart. The rest? Freeway the dog? Not as bad as Benji in later life.

Post by 678904673 »

Murder She Wrote. Still going strong on TG4

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:44 pm That was a dreadful show and it's difficult to say which of three main characters were worse - Robert Wagner who couldn't act to save his life, air head Stephanie Powers or the painful performances of smart arse narrator/chauffeur Max.
Robert Wagner and Angela Lansbury featured in a 1950's movie where the Nazi's invade Britain.
Wagner is a Wehrmacht officer, No, he does not get killed in a gratuitiously violent way - he survives to the end -
Landsbury basically casts a spells that animates a legion of old medieval armour that comes to life (no soldiers) and fights the Nazis back to the Submarine from whence they came. Childrens movie.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:44 pm That was a dreadful show and it's difficult to say which of three main characters were worse - Robert Wagner who couldn't act to save his life, air head Stephanie Powers or the painful performances of smart arse narrator/chauffeur Max.
Stephanie Powers was a longtime crush of mine. My missus still hates her :D .
KHD

Post by KHD »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:59 pm Robert Wagner and Angela Lansbury featured in a 1950's movie where the Nazi's invade Britain.
Wagner is a Wehrmacht officer, No, he does not get killed in a gratuitiously violent way - he survives to the end -
Landsbury basically casts a spells that animates a legion of old medieval armour that comes to life (no soldiers) and fights the Nazis back to the Submarine from whence they came. Childrens movie.
You have me currently searching for the name of that film gugleguy. :mrgreen:

Post by 95438756 »

^^^^ Beat ya to it

Bedknobs & Brooms ticks

KHD

Post by KHD »

Anyway, a few I actually liked - Battlestar Galactica, The A-Team, Sliders ( the original and only the first two seasons ), The Fall Guy, Dukes of Hazard, AirWolf or was it Blue thunder... can't remember, Billion Dollar Man, Chips, Famous Five, Nancy Drew Mysteries, not sure if the Hardy Boys was an offshoot or it was Nancy Drew that was the off shoot, Never really liked the muppet show but loved Fraggle Rock, TJ Hooker, Knightrider, McGyver, The incredible Hulk, Superwoman, Jake and the Fat Guy.... I can't remember anymore... but these were the ones I was allowed to watch during the day... the rest of my old daytime shows were at night time..
KHD

Post by KHD »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:57 pm ^^^^ Beat ya to it

Bedknobs & Brooms ticks

Looks like a scene from Willy wonka's chocolate factory. Must save it and take a look when I have time.

Post by 678904673 »

Matlock.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

KHD wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:59 pm Anyway, a few I actually liked - Battlestar Galactica, The A-Team, Sliders ( the original and only the first two seasons ), The Fall Guy, Dukes of Hazard, AirWolf or was it Blue thunder... can't remember, Billion Dollar Man, Chips, Famous Five, Nancy Drew Mysteries, not sure if the Hardy Boys was an offshoot or it was Nancy Drew that was the off shoot, Never really liked the muppet show but loved Fraggle Rock, TJ Hooker, Knightrider, McGyver, The incredible Hulk, Superwoman, Jake and the Fat Guy.... I can't remember anymore... but these were the ones I was allowed to watch during the day... the rest of my old daytime shows were at night time..
The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew Mysteries was great.
The first season was divided evenly between the two
The second had more Hardy Boys episodes and a few when both the lads and Nancy were in it.
The third and final season was a Hardy Boys solo run.
Got the DVDs from the US when they were released in the 2000s. Must re-watch. The plots were well written.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Anyone remember Crossroads, a soap about everyday life in a motel in the English midlands? It was so bad it was a must watch and developed a following of millions. Ran for about twenty years and never really got any better, I think it had a budget of about £5.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:29 pm Anyone remember Crossroads, a soap about everyday life in a motel in the English midlands? It was so bad it was a must watch and developed a following of millions. Ran for about twenty years and never really got any better, I think it had a budget of about £5.
I remember it being on the telly when I came home from school. I lived in Birmingham when I was a child, and I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be set there. Even as a under 10 year old child , I thought it was awful, with wobbly walls and people hesitating on their lines. To truly appreciate Crossroads, try to find "Acorn Antiques". It was a parody show (recurring sketch) in the Victoria Wood show. First time I saw Acorn Antiques I knew what they were at. Brilliant.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

NickNickleby wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:49 pm I remember it being on the telly when I came home from school. I lived in Birmingham when I was a child, and I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be set there. Even as a under 10 year old child , I thought it was awful, with wobbly walls and people hesitating on their lines. To truly appreciate Crossroads, try to find "Acorn Antiques". It was a parody show (recurring sketch) in the Victoria Wood show. First time I saw Acorn Antiques I knew what they were at. Brilliant.
Glad I'm not alone. Really, I think most of the cast were recruited on the streets the morning of shooting, they were so bad. Kathy Staff, of Last of the Summer Wine, was in it I remember but apart from her I never heard of the rest, either before or since. I remember Acorn Antiques, was it Jennifer Saunders who played the assistant, always seemed to have a tea tray? Good stuff.

Post by 678904673 »

I'm pretty sure that because the budget was very small very few of the actors were full time. The majority were part time.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Crossroads was compelling stuff.
For many years, the sets had to be taken down at week-ends to make way in the studio for The Golden Shot and be built again for the next week's recordings. Not like standing sets today.
That was par for the course in the days of studio videotape recording back then.
I don't think the Crossroads sets were particularly wobbly compared to others. In some ways, that’s just lazy shorthand to dismiss the series. They are though, for the most part, small, pokey, drab and unexcitingly shot.

I bought this when it came out in 2010 - very enjoyable viewing. Goes for £300 + nowadays.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Crossroads was indeed compelling stuff - I seem to remember a very exciting number of episodes concerning a bomb in the motel or is my memory playing tricks?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

RTE use to show a raft of Australian dramas. Sons & Daughters, A Country Practice, The Flying Doctors and The Sullivans are some that come to mind.

If my memory serves The Sullivans was pretty good

Post by 95438756 »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:16 am

Yes,
Many (most?) episodes set during ww2
Theres even an episode where one of the sons is posted to Europe and is shown killing a German soldier. Very well acted, he is upset and disgusted by his actions.

Post by 95438756 »

This never really gained traction, and made a loss
El Dorado. Seems to have disappeared from everywhere. RTE could use it as repeats.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:41 pm

I bought this when it came out in 2010 - very enjoyable viewing. Goes for £300 + nowadays.

Jeez, that would have made the whole series back in the day. It certainly was addictive stuff, it was on every day at home and I watched it despite it making me cringe every time. I think the PC crowd todaywould baulk at the Benny character today and his infatuation with "Miss Diane". Apart from the main character, I can't remember another strong part in it, except maybe her son but when I look back i realise just how bad it was, the storylines were sometimes ok but the acting was awful, as if the cast got their lines five minutes before shooting started. "Amy" was particularly bad.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:16 am RTE use to show a raft of Australian dramas. Sons & Daughters, A Country Practice, The Flying Doctors and The Sullivans are some that come to mind.

Yep, I remember The Sullivans, it wasn't bad. I think the nosey neighbour in it was the model for Mrs Mangel in Neighbours, which I mostly avoided like the plague, but enjoyed her part.
The father character was the epitome of the strong family man and the mother was the complete homemaker, very much like my own family when I was growing up.