Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Old daytime tv shows

Da telly
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Re: Old daytime tv shows

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:59 pm Robert Wagner and Angela Lansbury featured in a 1950's movie where the Nazi's invade Britain.
Wagner is a Wehrmacht officer, No, he does not get killed in a gratuitiously violent way - he survives to the end -
Landsbury basically casts a spells that animates a legion of old medieval armour that comes to life (no soldiers) and fights the Nazis back to the Submarine from whence they came. Childrens movie.
One of my favourite films of all time Bedknobs and Broomsticks :D
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Here's one for you, hold on to your hats!!!

"Torchy the Battery Boy". I was about three and was glued to this in the mornings, my mother would put on the telly and on would come "Watch with Mother" which featured : Andy Pandy; The Woodentops; Torchy and others I cant remember just now (well, it was 1958 or so). All done in the nicest British Home Counties accents.

Anyway, you can find episodes of Torchy the Battery Boy on youtube. Years ago, when youtube first came out, and my kids were still in school (probably secondary) I showed them a clip, and they thought it was gruesome. Go look it up and you'll see why. In a historical first - maybe - the principal character was voiced by a woman, long before Bart Simpson came on the scene. Oh, and I was also pleased to hear my Granddad's voice on it - or so it seemed to little me. When you hear it you'll know.

Post by 95438756 »

^^^ Did you have a senior moment and forget Captain Pugwash

Post by 678904673 »

Another one that comes to mind Is Take The High Road. Scottish soap shown on ITV in the 80/early 90's
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:16 pm Another one that comes to mind Is Take The High Road. Scottish soap shown on ITV in the 80/early 90's
My mam loved that. I'd chop off both my arms to have her back sitting in the kitchen watching her stories, cup of tea and packet of cheese and onion taytos in front of her.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:47 am ^^^ Did you have a senior moment and forget Captain Pugwash
I think he came along when I was in my teens, don't remember him before that. His creators were quite anarchic . Apparently they were always waiting for the BBC to axe them for innuendo.

What I remembered after the previous post was : Bill and Ben. Now I can't get the damn tune out of my head.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:08 am Jeez, that would have made the whole series back in the day. It certainly was addictive stuff, it was on every day at home and I watched it despite it making me cringe every time. I think the PC crowd todaywould baulk at the Benny character today and his infatuation with "Miss Diane". Apart from the main character, I can't remember another strong part in it, except maybe her son but when I look back i realise just how bad it was, the storylines were sometimes ok but the acting was awful, as if the cast got their lines five minutes before shooting started. "Amy" was particularly bad.
That's all the surviving episodes from 1965-1979. 41 discs.
They should do a follow up of the remaining episodes (it stopped in 1988). A couple of reboots later on. Both unsuccessful.

Benny (Paul Henry) released a very downbeat meets disco single in 1977

Last edited by nlgbbbblth on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

. double post
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:16 am RTE use to show a raft of Australian dramas. Sons & Daughters, A Country Practice, The Flying Doctors and The Sullivans are some that come to mind.

If my memory serves The Sullivans was pretty good
I first watched The Sullivans on RTE 1 back in the late 1970s. They showed a measly one episode a week (the Aussies got four episodes per week) and regularly bumped it if snooker or showjumping happened to be on. As a result, they still hadn't finished the run by the mid-1990s.
The DVDs started coming out in 2011 but the UK releases stalled after eight volumes. So I looked to Australia where Crawford Productions were also releasing sets (mail order only) with the intention of putting out every single episode. However there was a snag: Crawfords refused to ship them outside the country citing "copyright reasons". Undeterred, I (and presumably other people) kept emailing them to reconsider. In late 2015 they eventually relented and allowed the Australian DVD sets to be sold through their UK subsidiary Eaton Films.
On 23 November 2017 - 1,114 episodes later - I finally got to see what happens at the end.