Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tubridy retiring from the Late Late!

Da telly
Buford T. Justice VI

Re: Tubridy retiring from the Late Late!

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

Setanta wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:03 pm TBF I know lads get their overtime paid in cash,or as time-off-in-lieu during quiet time in winter.........employers may not like it,but lads simply won't do the overtime otherwise/or leave for better paying similar jobs

Tubridy being all high-and-mighty for years,clapping himself in the back for taking paycuts etc etc,while getting paid via a work-around is pretty much a perfect metaphor for the Irish establishment..... he'll set down until all this blows over,and continue unabated.

Dee Forbes career is over however,and likely hood of an outside manager taking over seems inevitable
Honestly, I can't see Tubridy escaping that lightly from this. To put it at its finest, he and RTE mislead the public on the remuneration he was receiving over a number of years.

He can blame those working for him if he likes but the buck stops with him and him alone. If he is really worth the money paid to him for many years then he should have no difficulty in finding alternative employment in the sector in a number of years through a different broadcaster.

He may very well return in a different station but his brand is seriously tarnished now. I have trouble seeing a station taking a chance unless it's in a pay-for-play situation.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Setanta wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:03 pm TBF I know lads get their overtime paid in cash,or as time-off-in-lieu during quiet time in winter.........employers may not like it,but lads simply won't do the overtime otherwise/or leave for better paying similar jobs

Oh, I know them too but guess what, it's illegal. Not so when you have your own company and your own agent and sundry accountants and you can claim tax reliefs and exemptions for everything from a paperclip to an Aston Martin. This is a whole other world of creaming off the top.
€75,000 is more than the net State Old Age Pension for five years and Tubridy was raking it in as an extra every year at taxpayers' expense.
I don't give a shit about his protests, he knew exactly what was going on, this was an attempt to pull the wool over his workmates', the public's and possibly, the Revenue's eyes.
I can't see him coming back to RTE, whatever about some other media outlet, but you can bet the shareholders in that outlet will want to know more about any sweetheart deals than Seán and Mary citizen gets to know, who the hell undewrites a deal for five years with only a guaranteed return for one, what sort of a businessman does that? I'll tell you, one that isn't speculating with his own money.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:50 pm Chances are high that he's not the only presenter to have been similarly rewarded by RTE. I would have expected some statements from others in the same pay bracket as Tubridy to have issued statements saying they haven't been paid by this method.

Which makes it all the more interesting when some of those are tasked with asking the required questions of Tubridy or his representatives. If they're found as having similar payment methods, their questioning will be analysed to see if they asked the required type of questions.

Fun times ahead, I'd say.
Absolutely. Even if it is not exactly the same method, once NK realised RTE were willing to circumvent and top up the published salary of Ryan Tubridy, it seems high unlikely he would not have pushed for the same for his other clients. As well as the talents' salaries, and the the barter accounts I suspect the management/consutancy fees paid to Noel Kelly Management or any company controlled by him is about to come under serious scrutiny.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

schmittel wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:42 pm Absolutely. Even if it is not exactly the same method, once NK realised RTE were willing to circumvent and top up the published salary of Ryan Tubridy, it seems high unlikely he would not have pushed for the same for his other clients. As well as the talents' salaries, and the the barter accounts I suspect the management/consutancy fees paid to Noel Kelly Management or any company controlled by him is about to come under serious scrutiny.
NK have some rare 'talent' on their books here's just a sample........ :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:58 pm NK have some rare 'talent' on their books here's just a sample........ :mrgreen:

Absolutely right in the use of parenthesis Del, talent is obviously a subjective thing.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:57 pm Honestly, I can't see Tubridy escaping that lightly from this. To put it at its finest, he and RTE mislead the public on the remuneration he was receiving over a number of years.

He can blame those working for him if he likes but the buck stops with him and him alone. If he is really worth the money paid to him for many years then he should have no difficulty in finding alternative employment in the sector in a number of years through a different broadcaster.

He may very well return in a different station but his brand is seriously tarnished now. I have trouble seeing a station taking a chance unless it's in a pay-for-play situation.
Whole thing looks like it could topple the entire senior management of RTE.....them folks working there are visibly fuming over this(and have seemingly been treated awlfully)....can't see how tubridy could ever return to work there viably
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Post by 678904673 »

Complete BS that only Dee Forbes knew about these payments. They would have to have been signed off by more then one person. RTE top brass are up to their necks in this but are trying to brazen it out. Normally that approch works but I think this time there is just too much public anger
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:16 am Complete BS that only Dee Forbes knew about these payments. They would have to have been signed off by more then one person. RTE top brass are up to their necks in this but are trying to brazen it out. Normally that approch works but I think this time there is just too much public anger
Not just public anger, but anger of the rank and file staff.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

So according to the Journal it's curtains for Tubs at RTE.
RTÉ’S DIRECTOR GENERAL has stated that presenter Ryan Tubridy will not be returning to host his show on RTÉ Radio 1 as trust has “broken down” during the course of negotiations.

Kevin Bakhurst said that RTÉ went into negotiations with Tubridy “in good faith and in the hopes of reaching an agreement” but that he has now decided not to continue with those negotiations.

Bakhurst said that RTÉ and Tubridy did reach agreement on his potential fee and hours, but that trust broke down between the parties due to “public statements made without consultation” that seemed to “question the basis for the necessary restatement of fees paid for services for 2020 and 2021″.
The right decision. Also great news for Tubs that he's now free to go off to earn the big bucks from the private broadcasters here and abroad that he's been missing out on for years due to his loyalty to RTE and the licence payer.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryan-tubridy- ... =shortlink
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Always knew Tubs goose was cooked when the story broke.
quodec

Post by quodec »

For some unfathomable reason I just don’t care about him anymore. He has more money than I’ll ever have and I’m sure he’ll get a well-paid job either here or in the UK. So, my main worry is, how the courts will handle all the TV licence non-payers?? And I’m being flippant here!!
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

There's a cohort of a dozen or so presenters in RTE need a similar level of reining in,Joe Duffy being a prime example

They've been paid forever too much for too long.....that bloke on prime time is quiet open about wanting to challenge them
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Scrotes refusing to pay their license like they are some kind of freedom fighter is hilarious - they’re just doing it because like water, rent etc they think everything should be free.

That being said though - I grew up in the UK; you had BBC where you paid your license and then ITV etc where you had adverts. How does RTE justify both ??
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:06 am Scrotes refusing to pay their license like they are some kind of freedom fighter is hilarious - they’re just doing it because like water, rent etc they think everything should be free.
Or maybe they like myself think RTE should be let fend for itself, lots of us get zero entertainment from RTE and the news is always just government slanted spin. I can well afford a TV license, this time I choose not to!
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:22 am Or maybe they like myself think RTE should be let fend for itself, lots of us get zero entertainment from RTE and the news is always just government slanted spin. I can well afford a TV license, this time I choose not to!
If the gaa bring in a streaming service,which they seem to want to do, it'll be end of everyone I know paying any TV licence

It's like rubbing fat to a fat pigs back with the wages likes of Joe Duffy,ray Darcy and co are pulling
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I've no TV but I would pay a radio licence fee if there was one.
It is the correct decision to not have him back. I don't think he would have resulted in a net profit for RTE.

He has earned millions more than most Irish people. He has more than enough money to retire. He was killed with work the poor lad. He needs to retire and put his feet up.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Poor old Tubs. The report found he did nothing wrong, but RTE want a scapegoat, and he has been chosen.

Takes your eye off all the useless high rolling execs high up the food chain in RTE

Should have made Duffy the scapegoat and fucked him out :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

What about Marty's Renault? :shock:

Post by 678904673 »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:45 pm What about Marty's Renault? :shock:
Marty is a good GAA man and friends with the new RTE DG. Trust me when I say there will be nothing to see here
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I didn't think there was such a thing as a good gaa man. I cant stand GAA........

Post by 678904673 »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:53 pm I didn't think there was such a thing as a good gaa man. I cant stand GAA........
Contrary to some beliefs, they aren't all bad
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Happy Days wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:08 pm Contrary to some beliefs, they aren't all bad
No true, only the ones I met when my son was playing county foot ball. Had a bad clash on the pitch and was carted off. Left on the sideline until the game was over, and turfed out at the front gate with a broken collar bone.
No medical care what soever.
And i drove him in and out for medical physio, appointments, blah, blaah, over a 6 month period.

His insurance was paid up by him prior to the match. So I claimed for expenses. It turns out no insurance was up to sate, so nobody was insured then., gaa didn't pay their premiums to Cornhill.

No, I have zero tolerence for any GAA related crap, thankyou.

Post by 95438756 »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:45 pm What about Marty's Renault? :shock:
Make a Theatrical production with it like

I Keano.

Or

"De Renault" or somethin'

Post by 678904673 »

I wouldn't be too sad for Ryan. If he's the shi*e hot talent that Noel Kelly clams he is I'm sure other broadcasters are beating a path to his door with lucrative job offers

Post by 95438756 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:08 am I wouldn't be too sad for Ryan. If he's the shi*e hot talent that Noel Kelly clams he is I'm sure other broadcasters are beating a path to his door with lucrative job offers
I've a suggestion

Ryan should don a monk outfit and mount his gift scooter and ride around on it like Ewan McGregor in The Da Vinci Code.