Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Kin

Da telly
Dec A Wash

Kin

Post by Dec A Wash »

I am surprised that this tv series has not been discussed on this site. For my part, I have thoroughly enjoyed it to date with the current season (Season 2) being particularly good. The release of the character Bren Maguire (played by Francis Magee) from jail has added a lot to the plot. He is the ultimate scumbag.

What does anybody else think of Kin and its characters?
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Kin

Post by kadman »

For an Irish production I think its very good. A lot of home produced films and series are very underated, but I think we deserve credit for producing them.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I deliberately haven't watched "Love Hate" or "Kin" as the radio news gives me my daily fill of scumbags. I like one off movies with scumbags but not soap operas. I have stacks of Love Hate DVDs in stock (for resale) and never feel tempted to watch any of them
'no more blah blah blah'
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm I deliberately haven't watched "Love Hate" or "Kin" as the radio news gives me my daily fill of scumbags. I like one off movies with scumbags but not soap operas. I have stacks of Love Hate DVDs in stock (for resale) and never feel tempted to watch any of them
Each to their own as they say. I thought Love-Hate was the ultimate template for what Irish crime dramas should be like. Every one since then, including Kin, has been compared with Love-Hate.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Really enjoying Kin so far. I thought Sam Keeley played the Eric/Viking character brilliantly - all that macho swagger hiding insecurity etc. Then the Bren character appeared. Francis Magee is excellent and plays a really repellent role; menacing, violent, hateful, and creepy all at the same time. My missus can barely watch him!
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Cyclepath wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:27 pm Really enjoying Kin so far. I thought Sam Keeley played the Eric/Viking character brilliantly - all that macho swagger hiding insecurity etc. Then the Bren character appeared. Francis Magee is excellent and plays a really repellent role; menacing, violent, hateful, and creepy all at the same time. My missus can barely watch him!
"Give your old Grandad a hug". :roll:
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The second series of Kin is a step up from the first.

Bren is very menacing. I love the way he breaks a bottle off the barman's head, a proper old skool fighting method.

Anna and Nikita are played by poor actors.

Amanda and Birdy very good.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I think it's good anyway

A bit arty-farty for my liking,but not excessively to point it's unwatchable
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Post by 678904673 »

Its not bad. By no means a classic. But its a cut above what RTE normally produce
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Some ending
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

That was bloody good tonight!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

The last episode of Season 2 is tonight. I am looking forward to this.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

It didn't disappoint!
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I taught it was a bit of a damp squid the episode,mostly predictable compared to previous episodes,but well worth watching all the same.....looking forward to hopefully another season of it

Post by 678904673 »

As mentioned above the last episode wasn't great. But overall it was an enjoyable watch and set up nicely for a 3rd series
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I enjoyed the second series a lot, mainly thanks to Bren who I thought was a powerful character. He'll be a big loss in the third series.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm I deliberately haven't watched "Love Hate" or "Kin" as the radio news gives me my daily fill of scumbags. I like one off movies with scumbags but not soap operas. I have stacks of Love Hate DVDs in stock (for resale) and never feel tempted to watch any of them
Just watch it already it was pretty good 😆. The wire was about scumbags too but was probably the best show ever made.