Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Christmas ads!!

Da telly
quodec

Christmas ads!!

Post by quodec »

Call me an old grouch (grinch!) but its only the first week in November, I'm still hearing the odd Halloween firework go off and yet already it's wall to wall Christmas ads on most of the TV channels (especially the UK ones). Even flicking through from one to another to escape them brings you on to more of the same. I like Christmas in December, not in early November. Argh!!!!!
Fugue

Re: Christmas ads!!

Post by Fugue »

Not me! Talk of Christmas in September/October (and it happens) is just ridiculous, but once Halloween is over, I'm perfectly fine with Christmassy vibes. 😊
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

No TV, no ads, Christmas or otherwise. Life is good. 8-)
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

At least Aoife and her reindeer haven't appeared yet.

I dread Christmas and this time of year, if I could go into hibernation about now and wake up at the start of February, I would.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm going abroad for Christmas...wooohooooooo! So no decorating, no cooking, no cleaning in preparation for my adult children to come home and laze around for a week with me getting exhausted. I shall be swanning around old places and eating out in Italy 😊

I haven't noticed ads because I also don't watch TV. The only thing I've gravitated towards are lights in the shop to see if there's anything really nice- I love Christmas lights.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

I know Christmas is a difficult time for many (I've had my difficult Christmases too) but usually I love it like a child does! 😊

Personally I'd do it in January (worst time of the year) isha, but that holiday is gonna be beautiful!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Oh my God I almost forgot about this Christmas ad I DID see. I think it's crazy. Do you think this is a spoof? Lickable Brussels sprouts wrapping paper 😳😳

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
quodec

Post by quodec »

No, no, please stop isha, I can't take it. The ads are on Gubu now!! please make it go away!!!!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Fugue wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:53 pm Personally I'd do it in January (worst time of the year) isha, but that holiday is gonna be beautiful!
I've never understood the Anglo-Irish (+/-American) obsession with cramming more and more "Christmas" into the months before the 25th December, when there's a heck of a lot of miserable Winter still to follow. So many work-place "Christmas" parties organised for early December, and through November, and even brought forward to the end of October because they couldn't get a later date. And then nothing. :shock:

It's one of the things that attracted me to the Continental tradition, where the 24th December is the start of the party season, and it carries on until Shrove Tuesday.

That said, I'll be cooking a Christmas dinner on the 2nd December this year ... but only because my littlest sister decided it would be so, and she's doing it as a farewell feast for a bunch of the Australian relatives who'll have been in Ireland for a month. So I'm going to Dublin to see them anyway, and Little Sister said "grand, you can do the cooking." :lol:
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 pm Oh my God I almost forgot about this Christmas ad I DID see. I think it's crazy. Do you think this is a spoof? Lickable Brussels sprouts wrapping paper 😳😳
I know a few people who'd take delight out of sitting down to lick their Christmas gifts instead of licking the windows for fun