Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tv Shows that wouldnt work today

Da telly

Re: Tv Shows that wouldnt work today

Post by 95438756 »

Friends with David Schwimmer and Jennifer Aniston.

Not sufficiently woke today.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Wasn't "Friends" a bit too white?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 893456 »

Currently watching old reruns of Cheers.Still a great show but would set off the SJW/Woke crowd.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 pm Wasn't "Friends" a bit too white?
I don't get that criticism tbh, I don't have any black friends - I'm not racist and those two points can happily co-exist.

MLK dreamed of a word where no one saw colour, the woke SJW idiots want a word where we see nothing but.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Has anybody noticed, or is it just me, that recent US shows with a predominantly black cast, always have a token white cast member who is an object of ridicule or revulsion? Either an intransigent school principal or a stupid football coach or such. Hardly a way of promoting good race relations but an understandable reversal of what was the status quo. I tend not to watch shows with a predominantly black cast, purely because they speak a different language, I don't understand all this jive talk and brother speak, indeed even the language spoken in US shows with a white, cast can be hard to understand sometimes. Probably a result of being brought up on mid-Atlantic English, but I reckon I must be a racist now.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

marhay70 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:44 pm ... I tend not to watch shows with a predominantly black cast, purely because they speak a different language, I don't understand all this jive talk and brother speak, indeed even the language spoken in US shows with a white, cast can be hard to understand sometimes. Probably a result of being brought up on mid-Atlantic English, but I reckon I must be a racist now.
I'm pretty selective about the programs I watch too but one great advantage of the streaming sites like Netflix, NowTv, and Amazon Prime is that you can turn on subtitles. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Top Boy' (UK based black gangland drama) but would have been completely lost without text! Who knew you could sell 'food' to make 'peas' ?!

I'll probably be joining you on the naughty step for my racism and general intolerance... ;)
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Actually thinking about TV shows that wouldn't work today, Can you imagine releasing Little Britain now? The trans folks would have field day with this :shock:

Post by 95438756 »

The Kenny Everett video show

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:38 am I don't get that criticism tbh, I don't have any black friends - I'm not racist and those two points can happily co-exist.

MLK dreamed of a word where no one saw colour, the woke SJW idiots want a word where we see nothing but.
Well I suppose the criticism might be that it was a hugely popular peak time show, that ran for 10 seasons and had hundreds of cast members, only one of whom, with more than a token appearance or a few lines of dialogue , was black. That only happened in the later episodes and didn't last very long.
Apart from her, any appearance by "non white" cast members were usually in menial or service jobs, with the obligatory "black momma" nurse thrown in. This doesn't reflect everyday life in Manhattan, where white people are actually a minority.