Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Netflix - what have you watched recently/general discussion

Da telly
OldManYellsAtCloud

Netflix - what have you watched recently/general discussion

Post by OldManYellsAtCloud »

One of the threads I frequented on boards, I thought I’d set one up here. Feel free to change the thread title.

Lupin - French drama with only two seasons and five episodes each season.

I watched the first two episodes and it’s great fun. Kind of serious and kind of silly(in a good way) I’m all in on this one.
VitaminC

Re: Netflix - what have you watched recently/general discussion

Post by VitaminC »

Working Moms actually pretty funny. Wasn’t sure how id like a Canadian comedy/drama show but decent and episodes are short too.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Before going into recommendations ...is it just me or is anyone else having these issues also?

Netflix -for me- has the terrible habit of changing from brilliant quality to potato cam in the middle of a film/episode. Now I don't have fibre broadband, but I can watch films in good quality on Amozon prime or youtube without issue, it's just Netflix that does it.

When watching on a 20 inch PC screen, potato cam is really just so poor, I can't continue watching. I''m actually considering cancelling my subscription at the next opportunity.
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

OldManYellsAtCloud wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:58 pm One of the threads I frequented on boards, I thought I’d set one up here. Feel free to change the thread title.

Lupin - French drama with only two seasons and five episodes each season.

I watched the first two episodes and it’s great fun. Kind of serious and kind of silly(in a good way) I’m all in on this one.
Lupin is great, have watched all. Very enjoyable.
The lead is very charasmatic and the villain is heroically cntish!
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Well, the crown of the whole Netflix own production empire is obviously...The Crown

Seriously, if you haven't seen it yet (is there anyone that hasn't?), you've missed out.

A lesser known series that I quite enjoyed (even though it has its usual modern series weaknesses) is Barbarians.
It's German (and Latin) in the original and the English version is passable.

schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Casa de Papel is brilliant - or Money Heist it's English title.

Story of a bank heist in Madrid with a psychological cat and mouse game between the criminals and police.
Last edited by schmittel on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Just finished the fourth season of Atypical - very good family viewing if you have teenagers. It’s a sitcom about a teenager called Sam, who has autism, and his struggles to become independent from his family. It’s also a family drama with all of the family members have interesting storylines. Well worth a watch.
Attachments
Atypical_póster.jpg
Atypical_póster.jpg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 6864 times
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Netflix - Recommendations

Post by Gonzovision »

Get this one back up and going :)

Currently loving Forumala 1: Drive to Survive. I do like F1, but wouldn't be obsessed.

Even if not a fan of the sport, this is a must watch. The infighting, egos, politics, backstabbing and pure speed make it great TV.

Also has a really great Dolby Atmos track.

Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

Gonzovision wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:21 pm Get this one back up and going :)

Currently loving Forumala 1: Drive to Survive. I do like F1, but wouldn't be obsessed.

Even if not a fan of the sport, this is a must watch. The infighting, egos, politics, backstabbing and pure speed make it great TV.

Also has a really great Dolby Atmos track.

Had just posted the same thing (more or less). Onto season 3 of this, great watch.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Just finished watching The Spy, with Sacha Baron Cohen.

A true story about a guy recruited in Israel in 1960's, to spy in Syria. You are given a couple of flash-forwards at the very beginning, which rather than spoil the series, actually adds to the tension. I'm not squeamish (there's no real graphic violence), but I have to admit to stopping it at times because the tension got to me. That was despite the flash-forwards or more likely because of them.

I wanted to know more about Eli Cohen, but stayed away from Google till I'd finished the series. God, what a story. The portrayal is very, very well done.

5 stars and I thoroughly recommend it. BTW, Sacha Baron Cohen is excellent in the part. From someone who cannot stand Ali G, or Borat or the other things he did.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I’ve started Designated Survivor. It’s very annoying the way it follows that formula of disaster around every corner but I’m getting through it.
Strangely Brown

Post by Strangely Brown »

If you like offbeat comedy you should try 'Noresemen'. 3 seasons.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80180182
"I'm Living on Dog food"
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

The Serpent is worth a watch, based on a true story.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Katla. It's a bit slow but I enjoyed it overall. There is some good deeper exploration in it. I really like the Nordic Noir genre, and Russian stuff, anything like that. They have great faces. I wish there was another series as good as Bron/Broen though - that was my absolute favourite. Loved, loved, loved it.

Right now I am embarking on Downton Abbey. I have never seen any of it. There are 6 seasons waiting for me, probably 50 shows in all to watch. I feel pretty giddy about this, as I blooming LOVE period dramas. :P
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Currently watching and enjoying Wormwood. In short and without spoilers, it's a docudrama about a scientist in the US in 1953 who was working on some high level military research, and ended up falling to his death from a hotel window in New York having been spiked with LSD.

I'd heard about the story itself in the last year, and figured this would be an interesting watch, which it certainly is.
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Seaspiracy.

An excellent documentary about the damage that industrial fishing is doing to the ocean. I had no idea of the kind of negative effects it has.
It also highlights human rights abuses of slave fishermen in the far east and how the fishing industry in some countries is basically run by criminal organisations.
What they are doing to the dolphins in japan is heartbreaking.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Money Heist is back!

Brainless garbage, but entertaining.
Hold The Door
Lady Bug

Post by Lady Bug »

I’m suffering withdrawal symptoms from Formula 1 Drive to Survive (it’s addictive) and have moved onto Good Girls.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I’m on that myself. Still not sure about it but I keep watching.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

I resubscribed to netflix to watch a specific film, I was fairly shocked at how much more netflix has gone downhill, its the entertainment equivalent of Pennys, stack em high, sell em cheap. Its just generic mush that seems to be written by macros. American entertainment is now so hemmed in by its east coast rules about what it can show its all predictable. Cancelled my subscriptiong after a couple of days
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

I unsubscribed from Netflix, simply because of the millions they supposedly paid "the Harkles"....
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I started watching National Treasure on Netflix, but I had to stop. I was feeling really uncomfortable, even claustrophobic watching Robbie Coltrane (who is a lovely fella) because he is so obese in it - I felt like he could have a heart attack at any minute just moving across the sets :(
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Actually I relented and went back to National Treasure, and it turned out to be really quite good! Worth a watch.
pedatron

Post by pedatron »

Squid Game getting massive hype. Has anyone started it? I'll try it over the weekend. It's some Korean drama about some gameshow or something. Trying not to read up too much about it.