Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Netflix - what have you watched recently/general discussion

Da telly
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Re: Netflix - what have you watched recently/general discussion

Post by Gonzovision »

pedatron wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:17 am Squid Game getting massive hype. Has anyone started it? I'll try it over the weekend. It's some Korean drama about some gameshow or something. Trying not to read up too much about it.
Four episodes in, not sure what to make of it so far, but I'll persevere.
pinky promise

Post by pinky promise »

I’m a fan of Scandi crime dramas and The Chestnut Man did not disappoint. I hope that there’s going to be a second season.
Seafields
Verified Username

Post by Seafields »

I started back watching some episodes of meat eater. American guy that hunts and cooks what he kills. Mostly big animals like deer. He certainly knows how to cook. As someone who fishes and shoots I enjoy it.
SeanCena

Post by SeanCena »

Yeah it's good. Episode 2 is awful and the end is a bit slow but it's a good show once you get passed the odd dubbing at times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

So weird. I had a post about stuff I watched recently on Netflix but when i try to post it I keep getting 403 error message
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It was in brief...
The Accident - Worth a watch. Sarah Lancashire is good.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

And Wait Until Spring Bandini - Worth a watch. Ornella Muti is beautiful and I hate Svevo
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

And last try as the three together will not go..

Avoid this one. Like the plague. Cheese with hammy acting on the side. How can famous actors be this bad?

The name of it is H F O H
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Head Full of Honey

Wow, it would not let me write all that together. :?
quodec

Post by quodec »

Half-way through 'Clickbait' with Mrs quodec, a US crime/whodunnit 8 part drama. Its building up nicely. Unusually for me I'm enjoying it!

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just finished the new series of Start Up. Definitely not as good as the earlier series.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I watched Hinterland, which was slow and made heavy weather of by somewhat Shakespearean acting, but then I got a vague crush on the lead actor, very vague mind you, and I finished it out and it was worth it in the end. Fairly solid.

Then I watched Traitors, which is also a bit slow. But lads will like looking at Emma Appleton, I liked looking at Keeley Hawes, who I just think has a great screen presence, and it is interesting to see the portrayal of the cleaving up of Palestine for the Jewish homeland. The last episode is definitely the best when all ends are tied up. It was interesting too to see the megalomaniacal motivations behind the establishment of global spying and surveillance operations in the aftermath of World War 2. It still resonates to this day, but it is more sophisticated, invisible and self-administered now.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Hinterland sounds good Isha. Might give it a go after Clickbait
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

quodec wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:47 am Hinterland sounds good Isha. Might give it a go after Clickbait
I hope you don't find it slow. Especially after the excitement of Clickbait which was enjoyable. It is funnily enough Welsh noir. :lol: I sometimes laugh that the first belief one has to suspend with a lot of crime series these days is that no matter where the tortured detective retires to, to get away from their old life, be it the remotest corners of Scandinavia, Iceland or Wales, there will always be an unlikely number of local murders or dreadful abuses to keep them occupied for the series.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

There is something wrong with me, I did not like Great Gerwig's Little Women.
I watched it because I love period dramas, and watched to the end simply for the same reason.
I see now it was universally acclaimed as the best thing ever. Rotten Tomatoes praises it, all the reviews love it. It got nominated for an Oscar, maybe more than one!

I thought it was incredibly fake and contrived. It was also disjointed and not in an artistic or pleasing way, just in an annoying look-at-me, ''I am an auteur'' kind of way. Saoirse Ronan's Jo is petulant and completely unlikable. Emma Watson hams her way unattractively through another unlikable role. The two other girls are forgettable and the mother played by Laura Dern is a sanctimonious woe-faced pain in the hole.
Even the clothing was jarring, being far too Laura Ashley and modern and hygge. The feast put out for the girls by the rich neighbour after they returned from gag-worthy do-gooding amongst the poor was an Alice in Wonderland spread of improbable silliness, and the final scenes with Jo waltzing with a cake through her self-sufficiency school for arty children with said kids prancing about in freedom and limitless liberal happiness was drivel.
All the male characters had had their balls ripped off, all were ineffectual wafer-thing simps for the supposedly gutsy girls, and Laurie was played by a gangly insubstantial man-child who must have been ritually drained of testosterone before shooting. He was the very antithesis of sex, the black hole of sex appeal.

I have never noticed Greta Gerwig being good in any role I have seen her in - what I really want to know is what dark secret does Great Gerwig know and about whom, that she has such clout and access in the world of film-making.
jmcc
Verified Username

Post by jmcc »

kadman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:02 am Just finished the new series of Start Up. Definitely not as good as the earlier series.
It was a bit more grown up and had less of the "technology" journalist version of cryptocurrency and Darknet stuff. It was a good programme though. There were some talks about a fourth series but nothing seems to have happened.

Regards...jmcc
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To balance up my (justified IMO) mauling of Greta Gerwig let me quickly praise Jane Campion for her film The Power of The Dog. It is a really good slow subtle film, Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic, you can almost smell him, Kirsten Dunst plays so well between beautiful and drab, but the star really is the odd but intriguing tall skinny lad of a son. Some scenes are just so well filmed you could be right there. Well worth a watch, hope others like it.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Update to the above recommendation. Having convinced my husband to watch this with me I can confirm that this film is definitely NOT to some people's tastes. And that it's very hard to appreciate lovely cinematography over the repeated sound of huge yawns 😒
Seafields
Verified Username

Post by Seafields »

Tried to watch The Marksman over the weekend. Terrible. I mean really bad. What was Liam Neeson thinking.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I watched Ordinary Love recently on Netflix. Liam Neeson plays opposite Lesley Manville. It is a story about a married couple who face into her breast cancer. Very good actually. Manville is brilliant. But Neeson plays a great role too. They are both incredibly believable and just did a fine job acting the story. Maybe it is just because I have lost 2 friends in the past 18 months to that disease, but I appreciated the film and yep I cried.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Just watched a documentary film called twas the fight before Xmas on Apple, absolutely a must see.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Watched My Octopus Teacher. Wow. It was a beautiful dream. I felt so relaxed and happy.
Later I read that Sophie Lewis (she of the egregious Full Surrogacy Now) criticised the chap as being queerphobic and repressed about the sexual nature of his love, which she says he would not admit. (Her review is worth reading, she is very very good with words, but pretty crazy with ideas.) Anyway feck off Sophie, a chap can be really really in love with an octopus without it having to be anything to do with sex. I would not blame him, she was adorable. Great film work.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Well I loved My Happy Family (don't let the title fool you), a Georgian film with subtitles. But it seems I do like slow, thoughtful films that may not universally appeal - so, bite me. The actors inhabit the characters so well that at times it looks like a docudrama. It gives the feel of that part of the world so perfectly. Ia Shugliashvili has the dark, deep energy of the older Juliette Binoche about her, if the ethereal Binoche had been incarnated in a somewhat stockier, peasant form. Beautiful voice, lovely face, the scene where she sits and slowly eats cake in front of the open balcony doors with the wind churning through the leaves of the trees outside is just perfection.

I am also enjoying Lost in Space, 1) because it is a fun sci fi caper, and 2) the Dad, John Robinson (Toby Stephens) is HOT. Wow. :oops:

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Don't Look Up is getting a total panning, the worst movie ever I'm told.
We really enjoyed it. 🥳
Seafields
Verified Username

Post by Seafields »

isha wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:09 pm Don't Look Up is getting a total panning, the worst movie ever I'm told.
We really enjoyed it. 🥳
Watched it last night. Yes really enjoyed it. It was certainly different in terms of the typical Earth disaster movies. And the ending was hilarious