Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Amazon Prime - ones to watch!

Da telly
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Amazon Prime - ones to watch!

Post by Del.Monte »

"Justified" (2010-2015) Six Seasons

Unlike many shows on Amazon, Netflix etc., this had a good long run and does not disappoint by suddenly being canned just when you start to get hooked.

U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) is reassigned from Miami to his childhood home in the poor, rural coal mining towns of eastern Kentucky. Rednecks, moonshiners, drugs and lots of good looking women feature and Given's penchant for shooting first makes for a cracker of a series and I am only halfway through. Lots of likeable characters, even among the baddies, but don't get too emotionally attached to anyone in particular as the attrition rate is very high. 10/10
'no more blah blah blah'
silverbirch

Re: Amazon Prime - ones to watch!

Post by silverbirch »

If you haven’t seen it already, Clarkson’s Farm is well worth a watch. Jeremy Clarkson takes over the running of his own 1000 acre farm and makes a TV series from it. Even if you can’t stand the guy it’s worth giving this a chance. Clarkson is still Clarkson of course, but his antics are less offensive and you see a bit more of the real man behind the gags. While often brilliantly portraying himself as a complete idiot with some staged mishaps and comedic disasters, the show occasionally provides some insights into the reality of farm life for those of us who know nothing about farming.
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

silverbirch wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am Image

If you haven’t seen it already, Clarkson’s Farm is well worth a watch. Jeremy Clarkson takes over the running of his own 1000 acre farm and makes a TV series from it. Even if you can’t stand the guy it’s worth giving this a chance. Clarkson is still Clarkson of course, but his antics are less offensive and you see a bit more of the real man behind the gags. While often brilliantly portraying himself as a complete idiot with some staged mishaps and comedic disasters, the show occasionally provides some insights into the reality of farm life for those of us who know nothing about farming.
I loved that show and I wouldn't be a Top Gear/Grand Tour viewer at all.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I hate Clarkson with a passion but given that review I'll give it a lash.
'no more blah blah blah'
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

Good news!
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

The Boys

hands down the best SH show of the lot
Hold The Door
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Just started watching sneaky Pete.
Not too bad, watchable at least.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

+1 on justified - very good

also this:
all 7 seasons now available, so you can binge away

As for films..this one is a gem, and quite frankly I'm surprised that Amazon have even touched this topic (Guantanamo Bay)

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Enjoyed "The Mauritanian", if that's the way to describe such a thoroughly depressing movie.
'no more blah blah blah'
Geminiman63
Verified Username

Post by Geminiman63 »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:07 pm Just started watching sneaky Pete.
Not too bad, watchable at least.
I really enjoyed Sneaky Pete, loads of twists in the plot.

Post by 490808 »

Just spotted a new one on Amazon Prime S.O.Z: Soldiers or Zombies
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7636244/

Just started watching its filmed in Spanish with subtitles but some English language as well. Seems OK I'll update later.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Geminiman63 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm I really enjoyed Sneaky Pete, loads of twists in the plot.
+1

First series is the best though.

Post by 490808 »

First episode of Season two Star Trek: Lower Decks is out. Will be watching it later tonight.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

How Soon Is Now wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 am I highly recommend The Man in the High Castle! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740299/

Really good show yeah it has a couple of flaws but there are some seriously great characters in it so much so your almost routing for the wrong side at times!
Hahaha, I caused chaos in the living room one night. Someone asked me how was I finding the series, and I said "Well, if you want an ordered society, then its gotta be the nazis, hasn't it!" :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
stronglikebull
Verified Username

Post by stronglikebull »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:02 am Just spotted a new one on Amazon Prime S.O.Z: Soldiers or Zombies
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7636244/

Just started watching its filmed in Spanish with subtitles but some English language as well. Seems OK I'll update later.
I watched all that last week. Only 8, 25 minute episodes, so it's an easy enough watch. Not a bad take on the zombie genre, but as with all shows with an annoying (pre)pubescent child, the annoying (pre)pubescent child was incredibly annoying. He almost ruins it. Having said that, it's quite enjoyable. Quite a bit of gore if you're into that side of zombies, and I like the way they weren't just mindless killing machines, but were more organised, had a way of communicating with each other and were focused on a common goal. Not sure what exactly that goal was or why, but it was something different anyway. I'd recommend it.

You may need to mess with the language and subtitles settings at first. Mine was subtitling the English language parts with Spanish subs, and not subbing the Spanish speaking parts until I changed it.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

One for the boys..... Ice Road with Liam Neeson.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Cobham wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:06 pm One for the boys..... Ice Road with Liam Neeson.
Not this boy! Just watched it (not on Prime [France], elsewhere) - what a pile of sh1te. :roll:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Lethal Weapon" the 2017 TV series - watched Season.1. first two episodes tonight - it's okay I don't know whether I'll bother watching many more.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

XIII: The Conspiracy

'24 meets Designated Survivor in this adrenaline-charged series. Dramatically the US President is shot dead by a sniper during her Independence Day speech.' Sums it up better than I could.

Just started into this last night and it's not bad and because it's far fetched you really can't predict what's going to happen next.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Red Line" (2018) Four part mini-series.

In Czech language with English subtitles.

Set in Czechoslovakia in 1992 in the final days before the break-up of the country into two separate republics.
A Czech military prosecutor struggles to prevent the release from prison of the country's former secret police chief while at the same time getting drawn into events surrounding the disappearance of Soviet military equipment passing through the country. Plenty of realistic action in this very atmospheric production. 10/10
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just started the second season of "Baron Noir" - a French political drama series with English subtitles and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. Likeable characters, realistic plot and good dialogue.

'no more blah blah blah'
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Ammonite

A nice, quiet relationship drama with great actresses.

A film of nuances, worthy of your full attention

JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Just finished hotel coolgardie , a semi fly on the wall docu about Finnish lasses going to work at a bar in outback Australia, they neither had the personality nor the life skills to do the job, really was a sad reflection on them when the two.girls.before them had a whale of a time and knew how to interact with customers.

Post by 490808 »

New in the last couple of weeks in the newer (2010-2017) BBC Sherlock (Holmes) has been added.

If you've not seen it then its not bad.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just catching up with more research and watched the two Irish made episodes of "Modern Love" - really entertaining stuff especially "Strangers on a (Dublin) Train" . There's a lot of funny dialogue packed into the 36 minute episodes and I can't recommend them highly enough. Nice to be able to give something 5 stars for a change instead of 5 turkeys. :mrgreen:
https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/m/

'no more blah blah blah'