Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Kin - New RTE drama

Da telly
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Kin - New RTE drama

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Caught the trailer, saw the cast and decided to give RTE a rare chance to impress.

I wasn't disappointed. Beautifully shot, very good acting, and a very tense and enjoyable first episode to kick it all off. I won't give any spoilers here, but I'm sold on it and already looking forward to the next episode on Sunday night.
PogMoThoin

Re: Kin - New RTE drama

Post by PogMoThoin »

Thanks, I never watch live TV so always miss shows like this
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Frank

Post by Frank »

Is it full-on gore?
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I enjoyed the first episode of Kin. It was always going to suffer from comparisons with Love/Hate, which was a hard act to follow. Ciaran Hinds, as always, put in an excellent performance as Eamon. There was enough there, such as the dramatic ending, to make me want to see the next episode anyway.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Frank wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:56 am Is it full-on gore?
No. Now, I've a strong constitution anyways, but anything nasty was shown off screen.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

The acting was terrible, the.casting was atrocious.
I don't often say this but it was worse than watching Fair City.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:33 am The acting was terrible, the.casting was atrocious.
I don't often say this but it was worse than watching Fair City.
Thanks, think I wait until a few more episodes get released to see reviews. I was expecting something love hate standard but maybe it's not!
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I'm surprised there isn't more posts about this here. It got a lot of posts over on Boards. I liked it anyway.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Has anybody been watching it? What do they think of it?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dec A Wash wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am Has anybody been watching it? What do they think of it?
Keep meaning to watch at least one episode but really it's easier to listen to the news if I want details of gangland crime.
'no more blah blah blah'
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:02 am Keep meaning to watch at least one episode but really it's easier to listen to the news if I want details of gangland crime.
But it's a fictional drama!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dec A Wash wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:46 pm But it's a fictional drama!
Doesn't sound very fictional from what I've read but I will watch an episode in the interests of research.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Dec A Wash wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am Has anybody been watching it? What do they think of it?
Have watched it each week. Pretty good in my opinion. Realistic portrayal and even though it's slow burning, there's plenty tension. Could watch Clare Dunne all day.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Enjoyed last night's episode, especially the rip-roaring performance featuring Bren. If he's not been signed up for the prospective second season, the writers need to get clipped :D

As usual, Anna's and Nikita's performances were absolutely dire, the former appearing like a random person they plucked from the street and handed a script five minutes before they shot her scenes. Absolutely devoid of all human emotions, the same vacant gaze when choosing a glass of juice as when she tells her father she was almost kidnapped.
My hope is that she's either popped in the season finale, or just written out as she's dire on screen.

Gillen isn't great and his side-mouth delivery is grating, but his weak character makes sense in the context of what Bren had to say.
I enjoyed seeing Viking go full McGregor - his performance is good and I feel he nails the impulsive dickhead loudlouth character.

As others have said, a season with Bren out and especially going against Eamon? Sign me up.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Gave the first episode a watch, it's decent. The acting isn't that bad, it's above fair city level!
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Ok I've watched it all....
SPOILER:
the acting is fine, the story is absolute rubbish!