Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I returned to my box sets of "The Invaders" an American SciFi series from the late 1960s.
I remember watching it in the early seventies in black + white and finding it genuinely scary. I bought the box sets some years back and watched the entire series but I no longer have the stamina and they will shortly be appearing on Adverts.ie

The storyline is good and David Vincent (Roy Thinnes) does his best with low budget props and special effects that are reminiscent of early Dr.Who series but it no longer scares me. I think that viewed in black and white as I originally saw it back in the 1970s was infinitely more scary.

"The Aliens are here, posing as human, and not friendly. David Vincent has seen them land and now must evade them and convince others of their presence..."

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Knocked across a recent Jennifer Laurence film, "Red Sparrow" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2873282/

I still dont know what to make of it. It wasn't intelligent enough to be a thriller and yet it wasn't good enough that you could disengage the brain and enjoy it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m starting Ray Donovan from the start, good so far!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:40 am Last night I returned to my box sets of "The Invaders" an American SciFi series from the late 1960s.
I remember watching it in the early seventies in black + white and finding it genuinely scary. I bought the box sets some years back and watched the entire series but I no longer have the stamina and they will shortly be appearing on Adverts.ie

The storyline is good and David Vincent (Roy Thinnes) does his best with low budget props and special effects that are reminiscent of early Dr.Who series but it no longer scares me. I think that viewed in black and white as I originally saw it back in the 1970s was infinitely more scary.

"The Aliens are here, posing as human, and not friendly. David Vincent has seen them land and now must evade them and convince others of their presence..."

Saw Roy Thinnes in a Murder She Wrote episode last week, he’s chilling even in that!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Can I mention Happy Valley? not a movie....
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cobham wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:45 pm Can I mention Happy Valley? not a movie....
Taping all and binging - can’t wait!!!

Post by 95438756 »

Rail program on bbc4 with Michael Portillo. About Belfast and portrush golf. Women golfers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. I learned a thing or two.

Later panorama on bbc1 about unregulated pit bull clubs in the UK.

feck rte any more.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Triple Cross" (1966) on YouTube

Feel-good WW.II. film starring Christopher Plummer as a safe cracker who works for the British and then the Germans but chiefly for himself.
Yul Brynner also stars. Harmless stuff. 6/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night, at last, I watched "War Horse" (2011) - yet another Spielberg epic.
Can't fault it any way whatsoever and even the hardened old cynic in me found it very moving. 10/10

Today the DVD is on its way to a buyer in West Cork which forced my hand in getting around to watching it.

'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

I must queue that one up on my dodgy phone app for the weekend.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:23 am Taping all and binging - can’t wait!!!
I'm looking forward to a good binge. It's an incredible show one of the best series I've ever seen.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Invaders" (1995) on YouTube

One man knows the truth and tries to stop an invasion of Earth by aliens disguised as humans. The mini-series was a reboot of and a sequel to The Invaders (1967), as well as a TV pilot for a full length series that never happened. Starred Scott Bakula and Richard Thomas (John-Boy from the Waltons).

Possibly it could have been developed better as a series but as a stand alone movie it is a pretty poor effort. 1/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Colour Room" (2021) Sky

Thanks to the miracles of modern technology my youngest lad was able to download a copy of this for me as a Christmas present and I just watched it last night; I was blown away. The story of Clarice Cliff is very close to my heart as I have a family connection and grew up with stories of Uncle Guy Shorter - the unpleasant brother in the movie. The sooty grime of the potteries really comes across in the film and tallies with my grandmother's accounts of trying to keep her children clean on their regular visits to the Shorters in the 1930s.

I thought poor Uncle Guy was given a raw deal in the movie as I never heard a bad thing about him from Granny - unlike the husband of another of my Grandfather's sisters. There's a movie in that story too! :mrgreen:

Hope there's a DVD release sometime - anybody know what Sky are like for putting things out on DVD?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another charity shop purchase last night: “Small Engine Repair” (2006)

The story of a group of men going nowhere. Doug (Iain Glen) thinks he’s a country singer, but he’s too old and lacks any motivation or self-belief. He carries around a demo he won’t let anyone hear while daydreaming of appearing on the local radio station or playing his mate’s bar. His best friend is a worn out mechanic (Steven Mackintosh), a hapless loser desperate to persuade his son (Laurence Kinlan) not to leave the family business, the small engine repair shop of the title. With their personal ties disintegrating all around them, Doug suddenly finds himself staring one last chance in the eye and the chance to prove to local doubters that he has some worth.

A strange but very watchable low budget movie, shot in Northern Ireland, but with a nod to the hopelessness of small-town America. It is filmed in such a way that it could be in either country with no reference to where it is set.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Struggling to find something worth watching last night I returned to one of my favourite genres - the "wild west".

"40 Guns to Apache Pass" (1967) on YouTube

A harmless adventure with lots of Indians and the US cavalry butchering each other - all in the best possible taste - mixed in with a dollop of treachery.
Did not hit the spot and I'll have to find something better for tonight.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Pilgrim Hill" (2013) Docudrama

€1 charity shop purchase.

The struggles of dealing with the isolation of rural living experienced by a small farmer. Hits the spot.

Indy.movie reputed to have been made for €4,500 (!) but it doesn't show. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just finished watching the complete box set of "Pure Mule" (2005)
Alcohol, sex and drugs in the boggy midlands. A good €2 buy in a local charity shop. 10/10

Garrett Lombard - Scobie and Charlene McKenna - Jennifer.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Starting to watch The Last Of Us - not grabbing me so far but I’ll power on through!!

Post by 678904673 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:09 pm Starting to watch The Last Of Us - not grabbing me so far but I’ll power on through!!
I wasn't exactly counting the days until the next episode aired. But I found it solid enough and it's one of the better efforts in the post apocalyptic genre. Episode 3 was particularly good
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I finished the first and it hasn't grabbed me yet - doing 2 and 3 after work so that givres me hope thank you!!!!

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Detective" on YouTube

Yet another Jason Statham vehicle but this one was really dull and I only watched it through to the end because I had already committed half an hour to it.
So poor that I can't even find it listed online - possibly released with a different name? Save yourself a lot of pain and avoid. Unrateable .
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Starting re-watching Endeavor. The prequal to Inspector Morse. Well written, excellent character development and over all hugely enjoyable. And arguable better the Morse
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

We watched a few of them 'Modern Love' episodes last night. Many of them can be hit and miss, but there was one of the episodes from last night, that kinda stayed with me throughout today. It features a song by my old hero Neil Young. The context the track is used in is quite moving.

I have a friend I've never seen . . .

Its S02E08 Second Embrace, With Hearts and Eyes Open for anyone interested.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Apelles wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:13 pm We watched a few of them 'Modern Love' episodes last night. Many of them can be hit and miss, but there was one of the episodes from last night, that kinda stayed with me throughout today. It features a song by my old hero Neil Young. The context the track is used in is quite moving.

Its S02E08 Second Embrace, With Hearts and Eyes Open for anyone interested.
I enjoyed the Irish one from Season.2. "Strangers on a (Dublin) Train".....well I would, wouldn't I. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:44 pm I enjoyed the Irish one from Season.2. "Strangers on a (Dublin) Train".....well I would, wouldn't I. :mrgreen:
I seen that one alright, with Kit Harrington. When I'm watching him act in anything now, I get it difficult to not constantly hear in my head "You know nothing Jon Snow"🤭