Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Sidney Poitier RIP

The silver screen

Sidney Poitier RIP

Post by 95438756 »

Dead at 94. Starred as the lead detective in The Jackal (1997) with Bruce WIllis as the villain

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Sidney Poitier RIP

Post by Del.Monte »

Forever remembered for his Oscar winning role in the 1967 classic "In the Heat of the Night".

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Great actor will be sorely missed.

The film I always think of whenever I hear his name is
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

although he is perhaps most famous for
In the Heat of the Night (beaten to it :D )
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Or as Del Boy called him Sydney Potter 😂
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Ah he was class in "in the heat of the night" . Cool fella him

Post by 316670 »

The Continental Op wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:33 pm Great actor will be sorely missed.
Did you know him personally?
What movies had he put out in the last 10 years?
This celebrity worship is a blight on the world.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:45 pm Did you know him personally?
What movies had he put out in the last 10 years?
This celebrity worship is a blight on the world.
I'd say you're great craic!

Post by 316670 »

Scotty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:27 am I'd say you're great craic!
I am.
Noneof you had thought about him in years, now he’s dead all the fake praise. “He will be missed”. Load of bollox, he never entered your thought process In the last fecking decade, he is a complete stranger and you are fawning over him now he’s dead.
Just remember one import thing, don’t hitch you wagon to a stranger you don’t know, dead men can’t start Legal proceedings, as soon as Jim savill was dead the rumours started and where all confirmed soon after, none of you have a clue as to what Sidney Poitier was like in real life, so why all the praise for a complete stranger?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:23 am I am.
Noneof you had thought about him in years, now he’s dead all the fake praise. “He will be missed”. Load of bollox, he never entered your thought process In the last fecking decade, he is a complete stranger and you are fawning over him now he’s dead.
Just remember one import thing, don’t hitch you wagon to a stranger you don’t know, dead men can’t start Legal proceedings, as soon as Jim savill was dead the rumours started and where all confirmed soon after, none of you have a clue as to what Sidney Poitier was like in real life, so why all the praise for a complete stranger?
The Continental Op could be his biggest fan for all you know. Is life so empty that you occupy your time visiting random threads on the internet that you clearly have no interest in just to tell people they shouldn't be doing what they're doing because you don't like them doing it?
Samson

Post by Samson »

Scotty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:39 am The Continental Op could be his biggest fan for all you know. Is life so empty that you occupy your time visiting random threads on the internet that you clearly have no interest in just to tell people they shouldn't be doing what they're doing because you don't like them doing it?
Pot calling the kettle black
Celebrity worship is a sad reflection on those doing the worship. If history is a anything to go by there celebrities are usually not the best of people, most turn out to be nasty and they just have good PR people to clean up their mess
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

MOD NOTE: Whatever your views on celebrity worship, please remember this is an RIP thread. Feel free to start a new thread to exchange views on the importance, or lack of, of celebrities.