Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Bruce Willis

The silver screen
isha
Verified Username

Bruce Willis

Post by isha »

Retiring from film making as a result of aphasia.
Sounds like a serious condition.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... -diagnosis

Naturally I don't know the guy, but he comes across as a sound person. A film with him in it is usually worth a watch. My especial favourite of his, a film that got very mediocre reviews, was Surrogates. The reason I like it is it has stuck with me as a prophetic idea for over 10 years, and now with the Metaverse etc it looks like humans could choose that future.
But anyway, I enjoy a lot of his films, for the action and craic. Sorry to hear he has this condition.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
BrianD3

Re: Bruce Willis

Post by BrianD3 »

I find this news shocking and saddening. Only heard it on this evening's news and then when I googled, found previous rumours about him having dementia.

It probably is dementia - if it was a stroke or brain tumour that was causing the aphasia, this info would likely have been released.

I was watching some old movies recently from Hollywood's Golden Age and was thinking about how everyone in them is (long) dead, some had dementia. Those were all "old" people from before my time but Willis is very much from my time.

Although there have already been a lot of deaths from the cast of Die Hard (1988)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I hadn't heard at all before about the rumours of him having dementia, but I see now that apparently many knew. It's a cruel disease.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My own dear dad was a massive fan of Die Hard and would quote big swathes of John McClane’s lines - till dementia develop in 2016.

So heartbreaking to see he has this cruel evil disease. Beautiful tho to see Demi joining in with his current wife and all his children - he has a wonderful support system as he deals with this. Wishing them all as happy a life as can be.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BrianD3 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 pm I find this news shocking and saddening. Only heard it on this evening's news and then when I googled, found previous rumours about him having dementia.

It probably is dementia - if it was a stroke or brain tumour that was causing the aphasia, this info would likely have been released.

I was watching some old movies recently from Hollywood's Golden Age and was thinking about how everyone in them is (long) dead, some had dementia. Those were all "old" people from before my time but Willis is very much from my time.

Although there have already been a lot of deaths from the cast of Die Hard (1988)
The beautiful Alan Rickman of course passed a few years ago. Very sad.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 95438756 »

Pulp Fiction, The Jackal 1997, and a movie I cannot remember name of where he's an alcoholic New York detective.
Sad to hear.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

He's not done a good movie for years tbh