Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Oppenheimer

The silver screen
isha
Verified Username

Oppenheimer

Post by isha »

What did ye think of it?

Some reviews rave about it. Some really slate it.

I wasn't going to go see it as a friend had said it was terrible but at a loose end I saw it this afternoon - really impressed by it. But I enjoy those spacey kind of sequences Christopher Nolan goes in for, and the really prominent score. I thought Matt Damon was great. Cillian is fantastic but if there was an actor who really made me believe in this film it was Matt.

It resonates too with the present - the ultimate cancellation of Oppenheimer because of his political opinions. The threat of conflagration being minimised by people who are full of jingoism for the Ukrainian conflict.

It's long. Sometimes hard to get the timeline. But overall I was really impressed.

What about ye?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Oppenheimer

Post by Del.Monte »

Love Matt Damon but I'll wait until it turns up on DVD in my local charity shop. Sadly there's no cinema in Enniscorthy any more.
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Saw it today also and very much enjoyed it. Great peformances from all the cast.

Definitely glad I went to see this on the big screen.

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:30 pm What did ye think of it?

Some reviews rave about it. Some really slate it.

I wasn't going to go see it as a friend had said it was terrible but at a loose end I saw it this afternoon - really impressed by it. But I enjoy those spacey kind of sequences Christopher Nolan goes in for, and the really prominent score. I thought Matt Damon was great. Cillian is fantastic but if there was an actor who really made me believe in this film it was Matt.

It resonates too with the present - the ultimate cancellation of Oppenheimer because of his political opinions. The threat of conflagration being minimised by people who are full of jingoism for the Ukrainian conflict.

It's long. Sometimes hard to get the timeline. But overall I was really impressed.

What about ye?
Haven't seen it. But by all accounts it's going down a bomb
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Went to it last week. Really enjoyed it. It's one of those you need to see big screen and definitely with Atmos as the sound is absolutely amazing
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Definitely a big screen film like his film Inception. But I will watch it again on small screen in time.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Went to see it in the recently refurbished Omniplex Cinema in Longford. I really enjoyed it and thought the three hours flew by. Excellent performances all round and wonderful cinematography. The build-up to the testing of the A bomb with the sound delay was brilliantly done.

Unfortunately, I'd gone with my brother in law, who it transpired wasn't as enthusiastic about it. About three quarters of the way through, (I thought that he'd just gone to the toilet) he was gone for ages and when he eventually came back, he whispered "why didn't you answer my texts?" I said I didn't see any texts because my phones in my pocket on silent. It turned out he'd nipped outside for a cigarette and got locked out of the cinema and missed some of the most important revelations of the film, (Strauss amongst others things), leaving him awfully confused altogether.
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Very good film, loved the ending, will go see it again soon.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Anyone a fan of the 1980 TV series? Thought it was great.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Watched the 1st half or so. Just up to the point where the 1st test worked and didn't ignite the atmosphere. Theory only gets you so far.
Anyway, I didn't realize it was such a long film so I'll have to try to watch the rest this eve or tomorrow at latest.
Good film so far.

Post by 6234567 »

I watched it in the cinema.
I liked it.
Thought they gave a good account of his life, work and the investigations into him later on.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Lot's of awards at the Oscars including best picture, best actor (whoo on Cillian!) and best supporting actor and actress.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well ... I tried watching it last night. Managed 40 minutes and gave up. Too much jumping around different timelines for no good reason, and some weird lighting/colour palettes that made no sense to me. Left me with a two-hour hole in my evening, so I settled for a cheesy rom-com instead. Much better! :lol: