Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Irish Movie News

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Irish Movie News

Post by Del.Monte »

Just watched the trailer for "Flora and Son" by John Carney and it looks right up my street but I'll wait for the DVD as I haven't been in a cinema since the local one closed some years back. "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" if memory serves and that would make about 2009. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: Irish Movie News

Post by isha »

I saw some controversy on X yesterday with people whining about Eve Hewson playing an inner city mother. I saw the trailer - it looks brilliant and I will certainly go see it. To anyone worried about Eve Hewson playing an inner city mother, Daniel Day Lewis doesn't use his left foot for all tasks and Brendan Gleeson isn't a Garda.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

I've never understood people complaining about an actor from a wealthy background playing a poor character or someone able bodied portraying a disabled character. The clue is in the job title - ACTOR
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:58 am I've never understood people complaining about an actor from a wealthy background playing a poor character or someone able bodied portraying a disabled character. The clue is in the job title - ACTOR
REPRESENTATION MATTERS!!! Or some such bollocks.

Sean Penn introduced a great man in Harvey Milk to a generation who may not have heard of him - I don't care he was straight.

Freddie Highmore is excellent in The Good Doctor, showing a doctor with autism, he is delivering for the community.

Both have got serious grief about whether they should have taken their roles and thankfully are definding the casting.

Charlize Theron wasnt an overweight serial killer but deserved her Oscar for Monster. I imagine the fat female murderer community aren't as vocal on Twitter so she's ok so far.

The funniest I have to say was going to watch Les Mis in the Bord Gais - Cosette was white as a kid and black grown up 20 minutes later. Go with the colour blind casting like but at least be consistent!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:40 am I saw some controversy on X yesterday with people whining about Eve Hewson playing an inner city mother. I saw the trailer - it looks brilliant and I will certainly go see it. To anyone worried about Eve Hewson playing an inner city mother, Daniel Day Lewis doesn't use his left foot for all tasks and Brendan Gleeson isn't a Garda.
It only bothers me when they fck up the accent - Julia Roberts should be banned from here after ruining Kitty Kiernan's portrayal - whereas Lian Neeson softened his Antrim accent to a West Cork brogue by drinking in and around Schull for a couple of months - my dad had a pint with him in Kitty Newman's bar! All long since gone now, save Liam! He's grand!!

It is like they want to stop acting - by it's very nature it is being what you are not!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane