Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Films that genuinely scared you

The silver screen
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Re: Films that genuinely scared you

Post by Gonzovision »

I think Host was the most impressive horror I've seen in the last 12 months. Only about 80 mins long and very low budget, set during the pandemic, it's well worth a watch. Few scares in there.
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Post by Gonzovision »

Yep that's it. I wouldn't watch a trailer or anything, just go in blind.
Last edited by Gonzovision on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Post by Gonzovision »

The other two relatively recent horrors I usually recommend, but most have probably seen are Hereditary and Midsommar.

Post by 490808 »

Its old its crappy but at the time it just scared me. As I was working alone in woodland miles from anywhere at the time that might have had something to do with it.

The Pack
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Outback. I found out halfway through that it was based on a true story and went pale. Haven't watched a serious horror since.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I can’t do gore so I don’t see too many scary films because they normally go hand in hand. I think Signs was the last one that made me jump.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Earth Dies Screaming" (1964) - I was only a kid when I saw this in the cinema and it gave me nightmares for ages afterwards. I've never watched it again since but now that I've found it on YouTube I may be tempted - hand over face, of course, as I've no couch.

'no more blah blah blah'
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

You've probably seen some / most of these but ones that unnerved me were

Ringu
The Orphanage
The Abandoned (Spanish version)

One that really surprised me was Possum, English movie, very small cast, only 80 odd minutes long but extremely unsettling throughout.

An oldie is Threads, an 80s UK docudrama. Probably the most unrelentingly bleak movie I've ever seen. Not scary in the "boo" sense but scary because it could all actually happen at the push of a button.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The very ending of the remake of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978)............aghhhhhhhhhh!
'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Eden Lake gave me the creeps because it could easily happen in real life.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

How Soon Is Now wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 pm I've either seen or have them ready to watch most of what you have mentioned :D

Threads ya I watched that a couple of years ago fairly fecking bleak alright but thought considering how old it is was done quite well.

There's a film called The Angel's Melancholy that I've read about that is more than likely shite but sounds fairly fucked up so i still wanna see it :lol:
Seen Melancholie Der Engele, thought it a load of pretentious wank tbh, shock for shocks sake. Marian Dora is a massively overrated filmmaker imo.

Post by 765489 »

Silence of the Lambs.
Humblepie

Post by Humblepie »

Session 9. It’s a slow burning psychological horror. It’s set in an abandoned mental institution so looks the part but is very dark and disturbing and remains the scariest film I’ve ever seen.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The shower scene from "Psycho" (1960) - just the theme here so as not to spoil the movie for anyone who has never seen it. I have never taken a shower since without locking the bathroom door - I kid you not! I read somewhere that actress Janet Leigh who played the unfortunate victim suffered the same reaction for the rest of her life.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Leon

The villain the corrupt DEA agent pure sadistic bastard. Difficult to regard him as a different guy in normal life outside this character role
- nothing personal! Never met the fella probably cool.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

At the time (mid 80s when a teenager) Threads about a nuclear Holocaust.

Now - there’s a TV series called Evil and it might be the many years of Catholic school but it scares the wank outta me!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Being someone with a very low threshold for fekkineejitery in movies, and so-called "horror" movies attracting the worst kind of fekkineejitery, I generally avoid them, and when I don't, I'd usually be rooting for The Horrifying Thing so as to teach the fekkineejits a lesson. :twisted:

So I can honestly say that I have never been scared by a scary movie. The closest I've come to such a feeling was after watching Hitchcock's The Birds as a young movie-watcher. Probably would have been in my early teens, I think; and that was because it wasn't too far removed from reality. Unfortunately, I watched it again recently and picked up on some fekkineejitery that I missed first time around which spoilt it somewhat. :(

The film that freaked out SonNo.1 the most wasn't anything in the horror genre; it was Castaway. I didn't know it at the time, but apparently he has a deep fear of finding himself alone with no obvious way out. For the same reason, the idea of an eternal Christian afterlife terrifies him ... :shock:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ah now - "The Birds" - as an avid birdwatcher at the time that I first saw it, had fekkineejitery written all over it. Great word that - I'm going to adopt it, is it your own invention?

To listen to the residents of North Dublin (Balbriggan etc) whining on the radio about gulls, the movie could easily have been made there. As for buzzards carrying off small farmers and their tractors... :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I remember watching this thing in the cinema as a kid and it gave me nightmares for a long time afterwards - even looking at this trailer tonight gives me the heebie jeebies.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I see that I already mentioned it in August last year but had erased it from my memory - sorry for repeating!
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Children of the Corn.

Closely followed by IT
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I used to love being scared witless but I'm not able for the horrors anymore. There are a few that stick in memory. The Grudge, The Omen, The Changeling, El Orfanato, The Conjuring, and Sinister. I wasn't able to watch all of Hereditary because I found it highly unsettling in a way that's worse than being scared.

Some of the well received horrors of the last 10 years didn't do anything for me in the heebie-jeebie department. Get Out for example, it was great but not in the least bit frightening for me. It Follows, The Witch, Don't Breath, Green Room, they are all great but didn't impact me in any great way. I suppose I'd see them as thrillers 🤔
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Not a film but a mini series but still scares me to this day - Salem's Lot.

The mother made my dad cut down a tree by my bedroom window cos I was convinced it was the lilac vampire coming to get me!!!!

Taps on the window now still freak me out and it's been 40 years near since I saw it!!

Good shout for Threads - chilling!
Last edited by DeletedUser on Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am The shower scene from "Psycho" (1960) - just the theme here so as not to spoil the movie for anyone who has never seen it. I have never taken a shower since without locking the bathroom door - I kid you not! I read somewhere that actress Janet Leigh who played the unfortunate victim suffered the same reaction for the rest of her life.

Someone I work with wants that film banned for transphobia and all of Hitchcock's films released with a warning.

Bat shit nuts loony!!!!!

Warn about The Birds alright - I live down the country with a load of ravens and I swear them beady eyed fuckers look right at you!!!!