Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Short Irish Films

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Short Irish Films

Post by Del.Monte »

Just watched this locally (Wexford) made short - not for the squeamish - but a lot packed into 12 minutes.

'no more blah blah blah'
Séimhe

Re: Short Irish Films

Post by Séimhe »

One of my favorites.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Excellent, the little girl is a natural talent, has she been in anything since?
'no more blah blah blah'
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

She's been in other things but unfortunately I can't remember. She has role in Ros na Rún at the moment and has driven some fairly emotive story lines. More power to her!

Edit: Doireann Ní Fhoighil is her name and her IMDB is here but for some reason I feel that something is missing: https://m.imdb.com/name/nm6049127/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's another excellent one - I even got a mention in the credits as a funder! :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another crowd funded venture that I contributed to was "Volkswagen Joe" (2014) - a bleak subject but a nicely crafted movie.

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here's one that was sprung on me by the YouTube algorithm even though I wasn't looking for anything like it!

The channel has a few other interesting shorts too.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Another unexpected surprise - screened in a cinema before whatever it was I'd paid to see! - was this 2003 work:

Funny how I can still remember this, but I've no idea what blockbuster movie was the headline act of the day! :D

Edit: :?: well, it looked fine in the preview post window. Mustn't want to be embedded, but it's there on YT (13m20s)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Loved both of them - bite sized movies are great for the tired brain and now off to watch the last season of "Justified " on Amazon.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:55 am Just watched this locally (Wexford) made short - not for the squeamish - but a lot packed into 12 minutes.]
Wouldn't be mad about the acting in that one, but the set is really great! A lot of independent shorts, presumably for budgetary reasons, go for very simplistic sets. They did well to find a workshop with so much texture.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Cáca Milis with Brendan Gleeson and Charlotte Bradley

If you're young, you probably saw this in secondary school as part of the newer curriculum but I only discovered it recently. Excellent acting and story. I had no idea where it was going.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I've never seen Cáca Milis before and of railway interest too! The filming took place inside 1950s carriages while the train she gets off is 1970s 'Super Train' MkII's. Also due to the actual sequence of shooting the train is heading in different directions from one take to the next and locations are mixed up but seems to been carried out between Rathdrum and Bray - terrible being a railway nerd at 62. :mrgreen:

Brendan Gleeson must be a train spotter too as his award winning "Six Shooter" short was filmed on the South Wexford line. It's a real classic.

'no more blah blah blah'
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:27 pm Also due to the actual sequence of shooting the train is heading in different directions from one take to the next and locations are mixed up but seems to been carried out between Rathdrum and Bray - terrible being a railway nerd at 62. :mrgreen:

Oh wow, I never noticed that and I've seen it several times! Nice find :)

I'll check out six shooter, thanks.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Silent Whispers - A very short, short film with Frankie McCafferty

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Another short short, and animated to boot:

I love the look and feel of the artwork in this, but yer man's route through Dublin makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! :mrgreen: