Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Irish Movies

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Irish Movies

Post by Del.Monte »

"Trial of the Century" (2016) TV3 three part mini-series.

Not having had any television service since Saorview I missed this alternate history/courtroom drama but came across it by chance yesterday. The film is based on the premise that Padraig Pearse and his co-conspirators were put on trial after the 1916 Rising rather than being summarily executed following hastily convened courts martial. It's a rather slow, procedural drama but worth the 90 minutes or so that it took to watch the first two episodes - I declined the dubious pleasure of watching Pat Kenny and a cast of 21st century 'worthies' giving their verdict on Padraig Pearse in the third part.

If you enjoy alternate history or courtroom dramas it's probably worth a look.

7/10 and that's really only for the performance of Andrew Bennett as the lead prosecutor.

All three parts are available free on vimeo.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Irish Movies

Post by Del.Monte »

"My Life for Ireland" 2016

Keeping up the 1916 theme, here's a gem that came out in 2016 commissioned by the Irish Film Board as part of the "After '16" programme. God alone knows what Padraig Pearse and his colleagues would have made of it.

'no more blah blah blah'
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Grabbers (2012)

When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive.

It was on Irish Netflix a few years ago when I saw it but I don't have Netflix now to check if it's still there.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I have "Grabbers" on DVD - a keeper!
'no more blah blah blah'
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Grabbers is hilarious! It's gone from Netflix - I must buy a copy myself.

Looks like we could start seeing more Irish films produced since the success of Arracht https://www.irishtimes.com/business/med ... um=twitter
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Heard about this one today "Deadly Cuts" - an Irish comedy - in cinemas on the 8th October.
The Dublin-set comedy follows the stylists of a Dublin hair salon who become accidental vigilantes as they take on a local gang threatening their community.

It can't be as bad as the trailer - or can it?

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Watermelon" 2003 TV movie on a Daily Mail promo disc.

Watched this Irish Rom/Com tonight - purely in the interests of research. Not my cup of tea but as these things go it was fine and at least, at only 74 minutes, it didn't demand too much of my time. Filmed in Dublin and London but in truth it was fairly generic and could have shot in any bland modern European city.. 8/10
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but Blackbird staring Michael Flatley. Its genuinely hilarious for all wrong reasons