Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Amazon Prime

The silver screen
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Re: Amazon Prime

Post by Cyclepath »

Anybody else notice that Picard season 2 has disappeared from Prime?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cobham wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:37 am Yes I notice things seem to move between streaming services .... I would recommend Julia (HBO series) presently on Sky. I wonder will it pop up on regular TV or other service ?
Am on Ep 3 of Julia and only just twigged an hour ago the wonderful Sarah Lancashire is playing her!!!

Plus loving the Niles/Lilith reunion!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:46 am I'm afriad I'm gone on a Sherlock binge on Prime. There was one episode from season 2 not available
Not the Belgravia one ??? That’s the best!!!

And the last one where Andrew Scott is at his finest ???

Ah never mind they’re all brilliant!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Post by 95438756 »

Cyclepath wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:23 am Anybody else notice that Picard season 2 has disappeared from Prime?
if its too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

You can't buy Star Trek figurines in an Smyths / Toymaster like you could years ago.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Just finished watching the first series of Reacher, this has been one of my favourite characters in recent times, from the books by Lee Child.
If you like action series you won't be disappointed in this one, very over the top and unbelievable at times and I'd say Child was at odds with the scriptwriters on more than one occasion, but it's a rip roaring tale of good triumphing over evil, with lots of blood and guts thrown in.
Alan Ritchson, whom I'd never heard of, is very much closer to the book version of Reacher than the wimpy dwarf, Tom Cruise, who was laughably picked to portray him in the TV movies, and he gives a very good performance. The rest of the cast fares very well too.
A second series is in the making and I really think this version of Reacher is in line to rival Superman in the indestructible superhero stakes.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"No Time to Die" (2021)

Utter tripe and a ridiculous ending. It was so boring that I nodded off halfway through at the first attempt last night and had to 'rewind' this evening to finish. Now, I haven't watched much Bond in recent years but in my opinion they been going rapidly downhill
SPOILER:
and killing the hero really is breathtaking arrogance by the producers.
How can they make any further Bond movies after that or will it be like the shower scene in Dallas? 0/10

Just had a quick look at IMDB and the best line: The time to die is before watching this movie .. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:23 pm "No Time to Die" (2021)

Utter tripe and a ridiculous ending. It was so boring that I nodded off halfway through at the first attempt last night and had to 'rewind' this evening to finish. Now, I haven't watched much Bond in recent years but in my opinion they been going rapidly downhill
SPOILER:
and killing the hero really is breathtaking arrogance by the producers.
How can they make any further Bond movies after that or will it be like the shower scene in Dallas? 0/10

Just had a quick look at IMDB and the best line: The time to die is before watching this movie .. :mrgreen:
Just watched today - I never thought I’d hate a Bond film but that was utter tosh.

Lots of boxes ticked though so I’m glad EON sullied dear Cubby’s legacy for a “good” cause.

Absolute garbage. You Only Live Twice is on RTE2 at 5.55 today thank God!

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ya that's a shocking Bond alright............

It looks like it had a hit list of "topical" items to hit trying to be up to date and it missed everything. I'm hoping that the next one is a bit of a re-boot of the series but I can see it either being a bit like the Dallas Shower (as Mr Monte mentioned) or else someone will inherit the "007" number and take the name also.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Resistance: 1942"

Another one to avoid and the title is completely misleading. Everything about the movie is bad, from the acting, directing, unrealistic plot and all the action - the little there is - packed into the last ten minutes. 0/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Octopussy" (1983)

Roger Moore at his most suave.

A lot of Bond movies on Amazon Prime at the moment and this one has some great action sequences - full of non-pc stuff too. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"16 Blocks" (2006)

Feel good crime movie starring Bruce Willis. I enjoyed it - and that's saying something! 8/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just watched "Bullet to Beijing" (1995) starring Michael Caine - another in the Harry Palmer series based on the books by Len Deighton. If like me you're a Michael Caine fan or of the Harry Palmer franchise and loved "The Ipcress File" you will NOT enjoy this travesty of a film. Rubbish from beginning to end. Too poor to give a rating. :cry:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Hateful Eight" 2015

Not a big Quentin Tarantino fan but this bloodbath is well worth a watch - all 2 hours 48 minutes of it!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I cancelled my sub a few weeks back but discovered Bosch is back so will postpone cancellation for a while. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm rewatching all 15 series of Hell's Kitchen - getting my Gordon Ramsay fix!!!

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Open Range" (2003)

Superb Western starring Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner and Michael Gambon.

Lots of realistic gunfights. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Not AP I know but Disney - I can't decide if I'm looking foirward to Pistol or dreading it !!!!

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Line of Duty" (2019)

I'm on the opposite of a roll recently and this is about the third bad movie in a row that I have watched - or half watched in this case!
Dire acting especially by the female lead (Courtney Eaton) and utterly unrealistic action sequences. I switched it off halfway through. Unrateable - avoid at all costs.

"Frank Penny (Aaron Eckhart) is a disgraced cop looking for redemption. When the police chief's 11-year-old daughter is abducted, Frank goes rogue to try and save her. But to find the girl, Frank will need the help of Ava Brooks (Courtney Eaton), whose live-streaming news channel is broadcasting Frank's every move. While a city watches, Frank and Ava race against time and not only do they have to face every daring obstacle but also the abductor's brother who's out for revenge." WIKI

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Ambassador" 1998/99 BBC series - 2 series (12 episodes)
Stars Pauline Collins as Harriet Smith the newly appointed British Ambassador to Ireland.....excellent fare.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Wrath of Man" (2021)
Yet another Jason Statham vehicle with Jason Statham playing Jason Statham i.e lots of violence but in this case a train wreck of a movie. Utterly ridiculous plot and the strange use of flashbacks looks like the film editors dropped all the pieces of the movie on the cutting room floor and then spliced it back together in the order that they picked them up. Random rubbish. Impossible to rate.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Battle of the Bulge: Winter War" (2020)

I was searching Amazon Prime tonight and thought that I would rewatch an old favourite of mine "The Battle of the Bulge" (1965 film) with a cast of stars as long as your arm including Robert Shaw, Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Robert Ryan, Telly Savalas...

The thing I just watched on Amazon Prime was a low, low budget movie and the only star (?) of note was an ancient looking Tom Berenger who didn't actually do anything.

It lured me in under false pretences as I didn't notice the film's full title "The Battle of the Bulge: Winter War" until I was committed. I continued watching as I enjoy a good train wreck and this effort didn't disappoint. There was nothing right about it, from the acting, the continuity of scenery (thick snow on the ground in one scene followed by bone dry ground in the next), the uniforms and equipment looked like they had been donated by a local theatre group. The CGI snow falling in another scene was indescribably bad.

The poor old Germans walked to their deaths like something from the "Walking Dead" and the single platoon of Americans cut them down in their hundreds. The dialogue, what there was of it, was cliche ridden and poorly delivered. I have only touched on a few of the most glaringly bad things and there was plenty more - another to avoid. Not possible to rate.

Seems I was not alone in my review - I always like to see what others have to say on IMDB - after I have had my say: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12631030/r ... ef_=tt_urv
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I watched "The Devil's Hour"

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14379784/

Well, I watched half of the first episode and switched it off. It was boring as hell and seems to be confusing in an attempt to make it "edgy" and "suspense". Peter Capaldi was good, the rest, meh.

Post by 678904673 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:23 pm I watched "The Devil's Hour"

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14379784/

Well, I watched half of the first episode and switched it off. It was boring as hell and seems to be confusing in an attempt to make it "edgy" and "suspense". Peter Capaldi was good, the rest, meh.
I'm going this this watch this coming weekend. Will report back
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Men in Black: International" (2019)

Being a fan of the original franchise with Tommy Lee Jones & Will Smith I decided to give this a try last night but it was very disappointing. My advice, watch the trailer and leave it at that. 2/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Must admit, I'm enjoying the 'The Peripheral' atm. Loosely based on a William Gibson novel...