Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Amazon Prime

The silver screen
Cobham

Amazon Prime

Post by Cobham »

Any recommendations for here? just have the 30 day trial, seems to be offered every year.

Re: Amazon Prime

Post by 490808 »

For something a bit different Star Trek: Lower Decks its not really a kids cartoon.

I'll go back and see what I've watched on Amazon Prime and edit this post - all ones I like and I know they won't be to everyone's taste.

Bosch

Clarkson's Farm

The Man in the High Castle

Good Omens

The Boys

Carnival Row

Jack Ryan

The Expanse

Upload

If you want to keep an eye on whats new or just take a look at what Prime has to offer then https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/a ... -video/new is much better than Amazons own search (failure) "feature".
Last edited by 490808 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Following your lead Cobham! On day 2 of my 30-day trial ... but haven't logged on to Prime stream yet. Only took the Prime offer because I needed a power adapter in a hurry, and will certainly cancel it in a few weeks. I've had a few other trials of Prime and others, and found Prime to be the poorest of them all. I think the last time, I cancelled it after two weeks - seemed to be all interminable "box sets" and made-for-Amazon movies that look lovely but are seriously lacking in plot. :(
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I am told you can cancel the sub now and you will still have benefit of free trial til time is up. Another thing you can do it go into your settings/account and tick the box that will give you a 3 day warning of trial ending ( and when payment will be taken unless you cancel).

Post by 490808 »

Amazon got some flak in the UK media a few years back when loads of people complained that they had money taken when they didn't even know they'd signed up for the trail so Amazon make 100% sure you know when they are taking money to avoid more bad publicity.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yeah, I've had no trouble with them cancelling the subscription. It's only the lack of content that has me giving them a "meh" rating.

Post by 490808 »

Thats Ireland for you UK content is much better but you must have French content unless you have Prime with .co.uk?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Oh, I've had Irish, French, German, UK and US ... it's all the same: cheap consumable tat, same as most of what they sell on Amazon proper! :D

None of these sites seem to cater for anyone other than those who want to churn through as much new stuff as possible, regardless of the quality, but Amazon seems to be the worst. Right now, I'm getting more use out of YouTube's free movies passing myself off as a Yank (with a VPN, also on a free trial - six months, very decent) than anything else.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I think unless I 'ticked' the box = remind me 3 days prior, the credit card payment would start automatically at end of trial. It is too easy to select 'prime' as an option when purchasing item and also they keep a record of your credit card details from previous orders.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:36 am Oh, I've had Irish, French, German, UK and US ... it's all the same: cheap consumable tat, same as most of what they sell on Amazon proper! :D

None of these sites seem to cater for anyone other than those who want to churn through as much new stuff as possible, regardless of the quality, but Amazon seems to be the worst. Right now, I'm getting more use out of YouTube's free movies passing myself off as a Yank (with a VPN, also on a free trial - six months, very decent) than anything else.
I agree that it’s mostly junk, but there’s enough good stuff there also to keep you going for at least the 30-day trial. As it’s a Movies thread, some more recent ones I’d recommend on Prime:
  • Manchester by the Sea
    Milk
    Short Term 12
    The Mauritanian
There’s some older classics as well if you dig a little:
  • Gran Torino
    What’s eating Gilbert Grape
    Betty Blue
    The Killing Fields

Post by 490808 »

An eclectic mix from my watch/watched list

Boss Level - shoot em up
Kill Me Three Times - Simon Pegg (says it all - rubbish but OK))
The Tomorrow War - Alien invasion
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Sci Fi
Hacksaw Ridge - WWII
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Cold war spy
The Hurt Locker
Deepwater Horizon
Shazam! - super hero comedy
Jabberwocky - Monty Python
Machete - Grindhouse

But you are really better off searching using justwatch.com and making use of the filters

Example: Movies with an imdb rating of 8 or above https://www.justwatch.com/ie/provider/a ... ing_imdb=8
Note if you search by date the dates are when they were released on Prime.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Gotta say, I've wondered about Prime as a streaming service for ages, but reading the above makes me think I'll stick with Netflix.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Jimmy Bottlehead wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:53 pm Gotta say, I've wondered about Prime as a streaming service for ages, but reading the above makes me think I'll stick with Netflix.
Netflix is better for sure. For most Prime subscribers it's about the free and fast delivery, with the streaming service just an added bonus.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Someone recommended NSCI.... I think 15 seasons and all there! That justwatch.com is a handy site as it points up not just Prime but other sources.

Post by 490808 »

Cobham wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:18 pm Someone recommended NSCI.... I think 15 seasons and all there! That justwatch.com is a handy site as it points up not just Prime but other sources.
NCSI - A good lazy watch but you can get too much of Leroy Jethro Gibbs. On TV they are up to series 18 :!:
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Yea I seemed to have missed this one down the years but had a crush on David McCallum from many years back and he seems to have aged well!
Last edited by Cobham on Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 490808 »

Good old Dr Ducky Mallard one of the many greats in the show. He's got so old (87?) they have had to slowly reduce his role. Haven't seen the last couple of series but I think he has finally left (March 2020?). He may technically still have a roll in the series as the NCSI historian so has an office which leaves him free to pop in if required.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

he was born 1933
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cobham wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:03 pmhe was born 1933
Still a young man, hardly out of short pants on the Joe Duffy age scale. :lol:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well ... I think this is a new record for me. As of this evening, I've exhausted my interest in Prime Video. Signed up six days, three days of using it and anything that's half way interesting, I've already seen during an earlier trial. All the new stuff is crap. And to turn me off completely, I was greeted today with a banner headline promoting a new load of soccer broadcasts. Feck that ...

I'll continue with the Prime trial as I may need faster-than-usual delivery for a few odds and ends in the next couple of weeks, but I'm going back to YouTube Free Movies for stuff that's worth watching.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Sicario" (2015)

Covert action by US forces against drug cartels in Mexico.
Not my usual fare but it held my attention for the two hours - plenty of action. 8/10.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Red" (2010)

Harmless, light hearted CIA thriller with a star studded cast including Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren......

As someone who has gone off Bruce Willis in recent years I enjoyed him in this movie but overall it was not very intellectually challenging to watch. 5/10
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another to avoid - Southern Fury (2017)

Nicholas Cage - Drugs, a disfunctional family and lots of unrealistic violence......0/10

Wish that I had read this review first: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/f ... n-c-miller
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just started "Baron Noir" a French political TV drama last night - excellent fare.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

There must be someone here who'd find this interesting - in the unlikely event they haven't seen it already ;)

Link if you have prime https://www.primevideo.com/detail/0NHIS ... 70Y5S5OXE0